Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Just for fun topic, anyone still collects or prefers DVD over Bluray? If so, share with us why?

I have a thing for older/retro mediums, but in this case, the Bluray looks and dimensions are exactly as the DVD but it can do everything the DVD can but better.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Just for fun topic, anyone still collects or prefers DVD over Bluray? If so, share with us why?

I have a thing for older/retro mediums, but in this case, the Bluray looks and dimensions are exactly as the DVD but it can do everything the DVD can but better.

I do. I have older TVs where Blurays don't make a difference. DVDs also take much less hard disk space and are much quicker to process for PLEX.

I don't think it will be too long before they will stop making / selling DVDs :(.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sam_S

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
No, while DVDs are a close second imo, Blurays are better and one less step away from obsoletion. The real question is will the DVD codex still be grandfathered into next gen Bluray players?

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
To burn software when a CD is too small and a BD is not needed, i.e., most of the time.

It is a lot faster than CD.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
I always wondered about collectors though, most collectors usually collect for the long run (decades). I wonder what will they do with all their DVDs and Blurays if players are no longer built (or wires change, almost all DVD players didn't have HDMI until 2006).

There is also the fact of region codes and volts, for example I would like to get a Bluray region 1 player but if I import it from USA it will blow if I connect it to my 220V electricity standard over here.

I do. I have older TVs where Blurays don't make a difference. DVDs also take much less hard disk space and are much quicker to process for PLEX.

I don't think it will be too long before they will stop making / selling DVDs :(.

Why have you not updates it to HDTV yet? At this point I guess you can find almost free ones at good will

LaserDiscs FTW.

They also double as festive holiday serving trays.

Some people are in older tech believe it or not. I talked to a guy who still fixes Betamax machines!!

I use both they each have their place.

Share with us how
[doublepost=1482066828][/doublepost]
No, while DVDs are a close second imo, Blurays are better and one less step away from obsoletion. The real question is will the DVD codex still be grandfathered into next gen Bluray players?

It will be stupid not to

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Assuming you mostly mean as a preference for movie/tv content, then yeah, no. :D

Obviously there some things still distributed on DVD (software/games), and if you're using optical for storage (DVD-R) then it makes more sense than a CD-R (though for backup they're still tiny - relatively speaking - my photos alone are ~100GB)

I actually have a hundred or so DVDs we've been _giving_ away. Sold about 50 or so at a garage sale several months ago, dirt cheap (3 for $5, some boxed sets like the Sopranos for $20 for all, like 7 seasons, mint), but we had a ton left over so when the opportunity comes up ... freebies!

I always wondered about collectors though, most collectors usually collect for the long run (decades). I wonder what will they do with all their DVDs and Blurays if players are no longer built (or wires change, almost all DVD players didn't have HDMI until 2006).

I stopped even buying BD and just been scoring movies on digital sources (iTunes, Google Play, did a couple of rounds of Disc-to-Digital on Vudu). Just tired of storing "stuff" combined with finding the disc, firing up a player, dealing with warnings/previews/etc. Hold Siri button, "Play Christmas Vacation", done. :cool:

Some people are in older tech believe it or not. I talked to a guy who still fixes Betamax machines!!

re: Laserdisc, I still have a player, fairly high end Pioneer, and about 30 or so discs (good stuff too, some Criterion Kurasawa, specials editions of Aliens, Raiders, T2, some anime, etc.) I haven't fired it up in years, a buddy of mine was going to take it, he's sort of a collector, we never connected.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I stream movies that I want to watch (reserving the theater for the possibly great ones... frequently disappointed) but I still purchase a hard copy disk for the ones I want to own. There's so much I do online, but I still want the media physically in my hands. Typically Bluray, even DVD provides the best quality viewing experience.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011

Stores have already closed down in my area. There are a few 'kiosks' round still, but they'll be gone i bet as well.

I'm all streaming here, but while my parents are mostly 100% in the same boat, i still must keep super-drive and blank dvd's round to burn music and movies to "keep"

she doesn't watch anything on iTunes

I still have a large selection of crap... I mean movies on Mac Mini for use. I kinda still think in a way any movie i wanna watch time and time again, i won't be able to if it gets pulled from Itunes...

Last edited:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
If I get physical media for a movie I'm going to be watching it on my computer and Apple never supported Blueray so I tend to stick with DVD. Also while there was a huge upgrade in quality from VHS to DVD the upgrade to Blueray wasn't as big, and DVD is good enough.

Reactions: Plutonius

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I have about 25 DVDs. The last one I bought was about 10 years ago but most were bought around 1998. I bought a new blu-ray player about two years ago to be able to play these DVDs on after my Sony DVD player died several years ago. I don't own any blu-rays.

I've pretty much just gone either iTunes for movies less then $10 or download elsewhere to play on my Apple TV 2.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My wife buys me bluray movies on occasion, and its nice to have them so I can watch the movies without needing to stream them

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I have close to 400 plus DVD's that I have started to rip. I haven't purchased a movie in a quite a long time though. Once the disk has been ripped I tend to store it in the garage and be done with it. Same with my blu-rays. I have a feeling though, the days of digital media are numbered. Not saying they are going to go out next year, but there time is coming especially dvd.

Reactions: phrehdd

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I have close to 400 plus DVD's that I have started to rip. I haven't purchased a movie in a quite a long time though. Once the disk has been ripped I tend to store it in the garage and be done with it. Same with my blu-rays. I have a feeling though, the days of digital media are numbered. Not saying they are going to go out next year, but there time is coming especially dvd.

I did likewise for the same reason I now use ebooks. I found that physical media (books / Dvd) takes up too much room.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I did likewise for the same reason I now use ebooks. I found that physical media (books / Dvd) takes up too much room.

They take up a ton of room. The only books I have out now are my Graphic Novels. All of my cd's over 1400 of them are now stored in the big metal dj style boxes and their cases are in the garage or have been trashed. I have done the same thing with my DVD's.

They were becoming a pain in the behind to have out. Regained a ton of space.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008

I don't know, people to like to keep a physical copy of their favorite/special media. A book or a movie, or a tv show. The problem I learned from VHS is that, its not the medium where the trouble lies, its the player.

You can own a DVD or a BD, but 10-15 years from now you might not find a player to play them on rendering the physical medium useless. Just think of all the DVD players the shipped prior to HDMI cables, I believe many TVs do not have composite inputs today.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
I don't know, people to like to keep a physical copy of their favorite/special media. A book or a movie, or a tv show. The problem I learned from VHS is that, its not the medium where the trouble lies, its the player.

You can own a DVD or a BD, but 10-15 years from now you might not find a player to play them on rendering the physical medium useless. Just think of all the DVD players the shipped prior to HDMI cables, I believe many TVs do not have composite inputs today.

I won't disagree with you on the owning physical media. I still do. But I can see their time is almost up. Especially DVD's and other disc type media.

Well VHS hasn't been in production for a couple of years now, but you can still buy VHS players. Heck I still have a few VHS tapes that I have been meaning to convert over to digital. Dang you "time" or lack of!

I still buy books and cd's. Now books I don't see going anywhere anytime soon. That is one item that I think will be around for a little while longer.

max2

macrumors 603
May 31, 2015
As my love of foreign genre films can attest, most of these movies are not available on blu or digitally, so I go with whatever the format might be. Frequently that is dvd format.

I am glad more and more foreign films are becoming available digitally on iTunes!

MacBH928

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 17, 2008
Not glad about the DMR on these, and that ultimately, you do not own them. For me, physical format as much as possible.

I have a question for you, do you really watch your movies and media more than one time?

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I have a ton of dvds and still buy them - mostly because of niche films that either were never published on BR or just in very limited numbers so would cost a ton of money or just aren't available.

And Physical always over digital! I love multiple viewings of great flics - and of course those are the only ones that I purchase ;)

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I haven't bought a single film from a streaming service. There just doesn't seem a point to me, as all digital purchases are essentially just rented unless it's DRM free. And films don't do that.

I buy bluray because I prefer the high quality of it over streaming. And I'm surprised of how possible it is for streaming (and downloading) to catch up but they haven't. It's just a method of delivering a large file to your entertainment system. So why can't films be a license that upgrades you to a higher quality version as they come available? They really need to make the most of digital benefits over physical. My process is I buy blurays but I'll also rip a digital copy if they didn't include one, or get a torrent of any film I own. For preservation.

Plus they look nice on the shelves. As it stands I buy physical-

Games
Films
TV shows I really enjoyed (highest quality not necessary for most shows)

Download-
Some games; smaller ones or online multiplayer ones (because there's no longevity in them. The multiplayer servers will go down long before the download license does)
Kindle books
Music

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.