Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
No way, no how, never ever ever. If there were no iPhones I would go Windows phone before Android anyday.

But each to their own.

digiphantom

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2008
I also ordered the Nexus 5, I was holding out upgrading to the 5S until now. The iPhone 5S seems like a great phone, but it's still out of stock and I kept checking the tracker. When the Nexus 5 was available on the Play store, I went ahead and ordered.

I currently have an iPhone 4, but it's gotten really slow from the iOS 7 update and my home button hasn't been functional for awhile now.

I still own the iPad 3 and a Macbook Air.

kingdLo

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2009
If it was made from more premium materials i'd probably get one even though I just got a 5s. Wanted to try the Nexus 4 but never got around to it.

Shockwave78

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2010
the one major gripe i have had with most android phones i have liked is the amoled screens. This has a IPS LCD, same as the iphone.

The camera looks to be really good, maybe not as good as the iphone 5s, but good enough. They are also cheap enough that you don't have to fully switch from iphone, you can now have both pretty much if you wanted to.

I ordered a 32gb black, finally a great pure android phone cheap with top of the line specs. I will switch between it and the 5s whenever i have the itch to swap around.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Those saying too big or inferior os ate just fanboys. KitKat is amazing so far for me and wait till the iPhone goes 5 inch and you'll be saying how great it is. ;)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No Verizon support kind of makes the decision for a lot of people on Verizon in US.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yes.

Having major problems with my 4S and frustrated with Apple's attitude. Just doing my homework on how to synch iCal and my contacts.

Anyone doing it and any tips?

iCal, not sure
contacts... go to icloud.com, click on contacts -> select all contacts -> click the gear icon on the bottom left of screen -> export vCard

Go to Google contacts and import the same vCard

I am not switching but I am getting a Nexus 5 to use alongside my iPhone 5s.

I will switch back and forth.

how do you switch back and forth? which carrier? I'm on AT&T and would love to do this, but it seems that I would have to call them each time I switched my sim card to activate the proper data plan (iPhone vs Android) for the appropriate phone.

Those saying too big or inferior os ate just fanboys. KitKat is amazing so far for me and wait till the iPhone goes 5 inch and you'll be saying how great it is. ;)

oh, so when someone has objectively tried both and chooses one based on their needs, it's being a fanboy... but you're not a fanboy with regards to the os you chose... got it... :rolleyes:

OP: I'm really tempted to order one. I used Android exlusively from mid-2010 to early-2013 and got fed up with the bugs, quirkiness, etc. of Android (and that's from using ~8 phones in that period, some Nexus, some not). I have an iPhone 5S now and love the simplicity and the "just works" aspect of iPhone, but being a tech geek, want to use both. I may try to find a way to switch between my iPhone and N5 if I decide to order one. But I do know that I won't be getting rid of my iPhone 5S. I did try the Moto X out for a few days while I waited on 5S stock and the interface/software experience was less than ideal. The hardware on the other hand was phenomenal! (minus the sub-par camera).

Last edited:

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
iCal, not sure
contacts... go to icloud.com, click on contacts -> select all contacts -> click the gear icon on the bottom left of screen -> export vCard

Go to Google contacts and import the same vCard

how do you switch back and forth? what carrier? I'm on AT&T and would love to do this, but it seems that I would have to call them each time I switched my sim card to activate the proper data plan (iPhone vs Android) for the appropriate phone.

oh, so when someone has objectively tried both and chooses one based on their needs, it's being a fanboy... but you're not a fanboy with regards to the os you chose... got it... :rolleyes:

Never said that. Just people who haven't used one can't comment ;)

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
So now that the nexus 5 is out anybody here getting one? I was waiting for the gyro to be fixed on the iphone 5s before picking one up but now am thinking of grabbing this new nexus. What do you all think?

Depends on where your preferences lie.

If you like Android (or it doesn't matter to you enough to make a big deal out of it like some of us on here do,) and the Nexus 5 appeals to you, go for it.

However, if you're more of a die-hard iPhone aficionado, and you think there's a chance you'll get irritated by the lack of iOS on your phone, wait it out... or don't, actually. Chances are, if Apple needs to do a recall on the accelerometers on the 5s, if yours is within the appropriate date range, you can probably just bring it in (and there's a one year limited warranty on it, anyway. Even if Apple wants to be fickle about it.)

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

Exactly!

Fanboyism at its finest.

An inferior OS that's just as stable, yet does more than IOS with more flexibility OUT THE Box?!? IF anything Ios is inferior.

Then too big?

Too big for what?

One handed use? Nah, people use phones that bug one handed all the time

Too big to see the screen? Nah, no such thing

Too big to fit in a pants pocket? Nope, not at all, especially if a note 2 can fit comfortably in a pocket.

Too big for what?

Mxbzz

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
What made u switch from a nexus 4 to a htc one? Got bored of the vanilla android and wanted to give sense a shot?

I actually liked vanilla Android. The reason I switched to the HTC One was for the aluminum body. I really enjoy a nicely-built, premium-feeling phone. The Nexus 4 was great, especially for the price :)

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
No Verizon support kind of makes the decision for a lot of people on Verizon in US.

Just to make sure others that read this understand...that's NOT Google's fault. You can put the blame squarely on Verizon for that.

----------

Well I ordered one. I really like the hands free feature it has like the moto x. Don't have to touch at all just ask it stuff. Let's see how well it works.

You're gonna be severely disappointed. It doesn't have the "always on" listening like the Moto X. What it does have is the ability, when on the home screen only, to say "OK Google" and it will then respond to your commands. On the Moto X, I can say "OK Google Now" even when the screen is off and the phone is locked and it instantly wakes up and awaits my command.

This has been a big misconception about the Nexus 5 over the last day or two. Motorola had to retain something to differentiate the X from the Nexus 5, and this is what the difference is.

Source: I own the Moto X and ordered a 32gb Nexus 5.

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
You're gonna be severely disappointed. It doesn't have the "always on" listening like the Moto X. What it does have is the ability, when on the home screen only, to say "OK Google" and it will then respond to your commands. On the Moto X, I can say "OK Google Now" even when the screen is off and the phone is locked and it instantly wakes up and awaits my command.

Yep, I think you are right about that. Still looks to be a good phone anyway. I'll give it a fair shot. Looks fast as hell and I love wireless charging.

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
Yep, I think you are right about that. Still looks to be a good phone anyway. I'll give it a fair shot. Looks fast as hell and I love wireless charging.

You just seemed so excited about it and I didn't want to see you severely let down. It's definitely going to be a beast. Mine arrives on Monday. I can't wait!

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
And get no upgrade after 19
Months? Contract is for 24 month and your phone obsolete in 19 months?

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011
Actually some of us are waiting for a 4.5 inch one, not full 5. Or may be a smaller nexus in the future. But yeah the post in general was trollish.

However, I would really love it if Google says "screw it guys, we are rewriting android from scratch and ditching java". One can hope.

DGPMaluco

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2012
Yes.

Having major problems with my 4S and frustrated with Apple's attitude. Just doing my homework on how to synch iCal and my contacts.

Anyone doing it and any tips?

Log into iCloud.com, go to contacts and there is an export feature, export, log into gmail, go to contacts and import! About the iCal, I don't know anything about it, try googling it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.