Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
And get no upgrade after 19
Months? Contract is for 24 month and your phone obsolete in 19 months?

While I think the 18 month window is weird, arbitrary, and lame (not to mention it undermines the whole idea that Android can be run even with 512MB RAM), it ultimately, isn't that big of a deal.

Why? Because...

1) 18 month support is still pretty damn good, second only to Apple who may support their devices longer, but doesn't give you every feature (sometimes doesn't give you the main feature) of the latest OS-es. Take that for what you will.

2) But more importantly, it's not a big deal because Google updates their individual core apps and frameworks independently. And they do this throughout the year, multiple times. This also extends to non-Nexus devices, too. I much prefer this model since it means things get improved and features get added much quicker, instead of waiting annually for it to come in an OS update. And even after waiting a year for Apple, you may not get the feature/updates you want -- I'm looking at you, iOS keyboard. It's been years since the iOS keyboard has been updated in any substantial way. For comparison's sake, how many times has the Google Keyboard been updated since its release into the Play Store this past year? I can recall at least three or so updates -- with another one coming soon along with Kit Kat.

In other words, the 18 month window of support really shouldn't be a deal breaker. Especially when you consider the only company that supports devices longer is Apple, but at a price...

iPhone 4S, but does not support:
Filters in Camera app
AirDrop

iPhone 4, but does not support:
All items from iPhone 4S, plus
Panoramic photos
Siri

Third-Generation iPad, but does not support:
Filters in Camera app
Panoramic photos
AirDrop

iPad 2, but does not support:
All items from 3rd Gen. iPad, plus
Filters in Photos app
Square photos and videos
Siri

What might get left out in the iPhone 5 or 5c when iOS 8 comes next year?

Last edited:

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
Filters in Camera app
AirDrop

Panoramic photos
Siri

Filters in Camera app
Panoramic photos
AirDrop

Filters in Photos app
Square photos and videos
Siri

This looks like a kickstarter project reward list.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
Except it's the opposite of a reward. Heh. ;)

Anything but. I keep reading about that now infamous lag, thanks to the Verge, on Android and that I rarely experienced on the Nexus 2012 that for me is a complete non-issue. I'd like them to see how much lag and delay I'm getting on the iPhone 4 with iOS 7 and even before with iOS 6.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Anything but. I keep reading about that now infamous lag, thanks to the Verge, on Android and that I rarely experienced on the Nexus 2012 that for me is a complete non-issue. I'd like them to see how much lag and delay I'm getting on the iPhone 4 with iOS 7 and even before with iOS 6.

I can tell you from first hand experience that the iPhone 4 runs iOS 7 horribly. I mean, horribly. Lag and glitchy all around.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yes.

Having major problems with my 4S and frustrated with Apple's attitude. Just doing my homework on how to synch iCal and my contacts.

Anyone doing it and any tips?

If you plan on switching OS with any regularity, my first suggestion is move everything to Google services. However, if you'd like to keep using iCloud, get these two apps.

SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar
SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts

Both will allow you to automatically stay synced with iCloud on your Android device. I previously used both before moving to Google services and had no issues.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005
I can tell you from first hand experience that the iPhone 4 runs iOS 7 horribly. I mean, horribly. Lag and glitchy all around.

Exactly. I actually upgraded because Apple said it'll work on the iPhone 4 and because of control center and because of the lag I had with iOS 6. I was planning on waiting this year out and upgrade my phone next year. Now I got forced to change my phone but I'm happy I did order the Nexus 5 and soon I'll say goodbye to the one feature that made me break with iPhone, the completely unreliable iOS Maps.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
how do you switch back and forth? which carrier? I'm on AT&T and would love to do this, but it seems that I would have to call them each time I switched my sim card to activate the proper data plan (iPhone vs Android) for the appropriate phone.

Not necessary at all. I've been doing it with iPhones and Android devices on AT&T for the past year. As long as both devices are LTE capable and you have an LTE data plan, can just switch and go.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Exactly. I actually upgraded because Apple said it'll work on the iPhone 4 and because of control center and because of the lag I had with iOS 6. I was planning on waiting this year out and upgrade my phone next year. Now I got forced to change my phone but I'm happy I did order the Nexus 5 and soon I'll say goodbye to the one feature that made me break with iPhone, the completely unreliable iOS Maps.

Yup. Makes that 18 month window suddenly not sound so bad.

Big whoop if Apple's older devices get updated if it means the update cripples it!

Retired Cat

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2013
I'm impressed with the Nexus 5 so far, but I won't be trading in my iPhone 5 for a couple reasons:

My iPhone 5 works perfectly. The Nexus 5 is a brand new handset with a new Android release, and I'd want to see if any issues with the hardware and software turn up. I don't buy Apple products when they are just released either,for the same reason.

I try to avoid buying new hardware if it's not necessary, for environmental reasons. If my iPhone was destroyed beyond hope of repair (or Apple decided not to support it with updates), only then I would buy a new phone. I would definitely compare the iPhone 5S against the Nexus 5. The Nexus has an incredible value at $349 unlocked, which neither Apple nor the other Android handset makers can match.

lordromanov01

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012

In other words, the 18 month window of support really shouldn't be a deal breaker. Especially when you consider the only company that supports devices longer is Apple, but at a price...

Filters in Camera app
AirDrop

Panoramic photos
Siri

Filters in Camera app
Panoramic photos
AirDrop

Filters in Photos app
Square photos and videos
Siri

What might get left out in the iPhone 5 or 5c when iOS 8 comes next year?

Don't forget that the iPhone 4, for example, is crippled in other ways. Such as all the nice translucent bits of iOS 7 being grey slabs. Of course it has to be that way for performance reasons but it looks awful.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
My plan is to sell the 5S to recoup from the 32gig Nexus 5 cost of $436 shipped. Keep 3 lines on Verizon and the Nexus 5 on that $30 T-mobile prepaid plan. I've been a iPhone user since the 5s came out but I miss Android. I just don't like the bloated Android phones Verizon is pushing. Great hardware but software support is terrible on any current Verizon Android model. Samsung has no update plans for KitKat and I'm not waiting for them like I did with my Note 2.
The one thing I do love about Apple is the support. If I have a hardware issue I can just walk into any Apple store if I have warranty problems and be taken care of. I'm very picky about my phones and I'm dreading the thought about having an issue with the Nexus 5.
Bottom line is that the Nexus 5 is just a better phone overall after adding up all the tick marks. And it's more flexible/forgiving when it comes to apps and what you can do.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Feb 28, 2011

Its time to work on more polish, more robustness and completion in current features IMO. And promote more third party masterpiece apps. Lag is relegated to old versions or to oem skins like touchwiz. My gs4 had input lag, flashed a Google play ROM and no more input lag until I installed chrome. Both chrome and beta sucked. Now on dolphin browser it is crazy fast again.

This tells me bad apps including the infamous chrome should be punished, along with flashy, bloated oem skins. The reason I want a nexus 5 is that I would rather have pure android loaded and made for the phone than flash it myself, as it is still tedious or else I would keep my gs4.

Oh, and I don't know if those are patented, but Google should bring proper lockscreen notifications on android like iOS. I have tried everything from playstore, and they aren't as good. Especially thanks to the fact you have to use most of them as a compressed lock screen widget which kills the point IMO.

Just give Tim Cook some kitkat and borrow those notifications in return :)

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD
If you plan on switching OS with any regularity, my first suggestion is move everything to Google services. However, if you'd like to keep using iCloud, get these two apps.

SmoothSync for Cloud Calendar
SmoothSync for Cloud Contacts

Both will allow you to automatically stay synced with iCloud on your Android device. I previously used both before moving to Google services and had no issues.

This looks great. Does it also work in the other direction? Will my wife's iPhone show my Google Calendar events, once I enter her iCloud credentials into this SmoothSync app?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
This looks great. Does it also work in the other direction? Will my wife's iPhone show my Google Calendar events, once I enter her iCloud credentials into this SmoothSync app?

Whether your wife sees your calendar details is all dependant upon you sharing that calendar with your wife's account from your account (i.e. you share your Google calendar from your Google account to your wife's Google account or from your iCloud account to her iCloud account) or her also having your account on her device. This app just allows an iCloud account user to use their account with the Google calendar app on Android. If you want her to see your Google account calendar on her iPhone (and I'm assuming she's using iCloud to sync her calendars) you'll need to add your calendar to her phone as CalDav.

Last edited:

lordromanov01

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
Switching from jailbroken iPhone 4 to a Nexus 5.
Should be a fair amount of difference in performance...

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
I switched from the iPhone 4S to the Nexus 4 - I bought the N4 as a second phone, just to play with. I loved Android on my Nexus 7, but it seemed weird on the Nexus 4; the phone features just didn't feel right.

Then I dropped the 4S and the screen went wonky, and it took me forever to actually bring it in, so I just started using the N4 daily. Now? I see no issues at all with the way it works - it really very much is a matter of what you get used to.

That said, I think that any current-generation iPhone has always been and likely will for some time to come be of superior build quality to any Android phone. I think that current-generation iOS, likewise, is more polished than Android in appearance and smoothness. iOS7 is, to me, beautiful.

But... I liked 4.1-4.3, I'll like 4.4 better, and there are features I'd really miss if I went back. There are limitations to iOS I do not like.

And I cannot stand the postage-stamp-sized display on the iPhone anymore. I can see why some prefer the slimmer size, but I want the display to show me more.

Had I not switched before, with the Nexus 4's embarrassingly bad camera, I'd definitely switch now. The iPhone 5S is a great phone, but, to me, the display is too small and the phone is actually too powerful - there's not enough display to fully use what it can do (on the other hand, the iPad mini now is really, really compelling to me - because the display shows enough to be able to actually use that power).

V4705

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2009
Yep, iPhone 5 to Nexus 5 (both White 32gb).
Honestly I like the iPhone better but I'm bored after a year with the 5, and the 5S isn't much difference for me, so I'm taking the Nexus 5 just to have something new to play with...

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
I actually liked vanilla Android. The reason I switched to the HTC One was for the aluminum body. I really enjoy a nicely-built, premium-feeling phone. The Nexus 4 was great, especially for the price :)

I actually prefer the soft touch finish of the nexus 5/7/ 10 (especially this one) over the hard aluminum build of the htc/iphone.

I haven't felt the nexus 5 in person but if its anything like the nexus 7 and 10 it will fell great.

----------

Switching from jailbroken iPhone 4 to a Nexus 5.
Should be a fair amount of difference in performance...

You will love it. I am still on a galaxy nexus lol. Probably leaving verizon to get this.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
So now that the nexus 5 is out anybody here getting one? I was waiting for the gyro to be fixed on the iphone 5s before picking one up but now am thinking of grabbing this new nexus. What do you all think?

Actually iv'e changed my mind. I am selling my POS 64GB iP 5S as soon as I have a buyer. I have had nothing but problems with Apple, Specifically with there iPhone 's. Every time I buy one, exchange it, or try to add a line and get a iPhone WITH ANY CARRIER or at the Apple Store. They look at me crazy and always make remarks about fraud.

This happen the other day when trying to add a line and get a 5S for my mom at the APPLE STORE IN LAS VEGAS.
The rep asked me why the account is so new and why didn't I add all the line(s) at once with a attitude.

I told her it's none of her god damn business how I spend my money or what I do with my account.

She then went into the back to grab the iPhone and came back out with the manger and they said to prevent fraud they need my utility bill and my SSN card even though the god damn account was established and we were just adding a line. I came back and brought that and they "cleared me" and they activated the iPhone and as I was going to pay all cash she said they need at credit card with at least $1 TO PREVENT SWEET BABY JESUS GOD DAMN FRAUD AND TO TRACK THE PURCHASE IF NEEDED IN THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!:(

LS;S I never got the phone for my mom.
Know this happened a few months back,

I had a Verizon iPhone 5 that I was using with TMobile and my screen backlight went dead. They were going to swap it out and they asked me what carrier I had, I said T-Mobile she then got angry and said "Oh we don't support T-Mobile and you can't even use TMobile on a Verizon phone, It sounds like you hacked your phone and we can't help you, thats what cause your screen to go out."

I was gonna tell her YOU ****ING STUPID **** FACE SON OF A BITCH, HOW IN THE WORLD DOES A SIM CARD INTERFERE WITH THE SCREEN

I didn't even feel like dealing with her and told her to bring her manager.

He came and I told him what was going on and that my screen was out and and told him I didn't hack my phone because i'm using it with T-Mobile and told him all Verizon 4G LTE PHONES ARE FACTORY UNLOCKED per the FCC.

Anyway's he didn't believe me. And I never got my phone repaired/swapped and had to drop it in the water on purpose and pay the out of warranty fee to get a replacement a few days later.

Now what happen last night is what officially making me change my mind about these god dam iPhones!

Went to Target with my mom to buy a PrePaid Virgin Mobile iPhone 4S, Everything was cool, we got the phone activated. 2 days later she notices her camera doesn't work. We go back to Target get it exchanged no problems.

We get home and the phone doesn't activate or get any service all it says is "Searching". We call Apple and Virgin Mobile and they told us sounds like a hardware problem and we should have it exchanged.

We go back to Target and they didn't know how to return it. They call some clown from electronics and wait about 30 min for someone to come after walking back and forth to electronics bugging them to come help us with the return.

Somebody finally comes and makes a stupid ass comment and says "Oh this looks like fraud and is suspicious that you guys keep exchanging them and I have to get permission from a Manager".

I don't even feel like finishing the story because you probably wouldn't believe me.

Just know we walked out with the same phone pissed ASF.

rillrill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
New York
i think the low price of the nexus 5 is definitely a good entry point for iphone users that just want to check out what android has to offer. if yr on a gsm carrier, you can buy one just to have an extra phone lying around.

i switched to a nexus 4 last year to get a low cost plan. the iphone wasn't supported on that carrier at the time, and ios 6 didn't thrill me. the low price for decent hardware is one of the best things about the nexus program - like the chromebook program.

when i first got into android, some things did frustrate me - settings and customization can be overwhelming. With in a week I was completely use to it. when i briefly had an old iphone 4, i was just as frustrated as i was with android for the first time, but this time it was the poor notifications, small screen, and need to drill into an app to get the information i need - i don't want to click three or more times to just get back to my home screen.

i say, if you can afford it, buy a nexus just to play around with it. you might be surprised at it's functionality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.