Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Actually iv'e changed my mind. I am selling my POS 64GB iP 5S as soon as I have a buyer. I have had nothing but problems with Apple, Specifically with there iPhone 's. Every time I buy one, exchange it, or try to add a line and get a iPhone WITH ANY CARRIER or at the Apple Store. They look at me crazy and always make remarks about fraud.

This happen the other day when trying to add a line and get a 5S for my mom at the APPLE STORE IN LAS VEGAS.
The rep asked me why the account is so new and why didn't I add all the line(s) at once with a attitude.

I told her it's none of her god damn business how I spend my money or what I do with my account.

She then went into the back to grab the iPhone and came back out with the manger and they said to prevent fraud they need my utility bill and my SSN card even though the god damn account was established and we were just adding a line. I came back and brought that and they "cleared me" and they activated the iPhone and as I was going to pay all cash she said they need at credit card with at least $1 TO PREVENT SWEET BABY JESUS GOD DAMN FRAUD AND TO TRACK THE PURCHASE IF NEEDED IN THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!:(

LS;S I never got the phone for my mom.
Know this happened a few months back,

I had a Verizon iPhone 5 that I was using with TMobile and my screen backlight went dead. They were going to swap it out and they asked me what carrier I had, I said T-Mobile she then got angry and said "Oh we don't support T-Mobile and you can't even use TMobile on a Verizon phone, It sounds like you hacked your phone and we can't help you, thats what cause your screen to go out."

I was gonna tell her YOU ****ING STUPID **** FACE SON OF A BITCH, HOW IN THE WORLD DOES A SIM CARD INTERFERE WITH THE SCREEN

I didn't even feel like dealing with her and told her to bring her manager.

He came and I told him what was going on and that my screen was out and and told him I didn't hack my phone because i'm using it with T-Mobile and told him all Verizon 4G LTE PHONES ARE FACTORY UNLOCKED per the FCC.

Anyway's he didn't believe me. And I never got my phone repaired/swapped and had to drop it in the water on purpose and pay the out of warranty fee to get a replacement a few days later.

Now what happen last night is what officially making me change my mind about these god dam iPhones!

Went to Target with my mom to buy a PrePaid Virgin Mobile iPhone 4S, Everything was cool, we got the phone activated. 2 days later she notices her camera doesn't work. We go back to Target get it exchanged no problems.

We get home and the phone doesn't activate or get any service all it says is "Searching". We call Apple and Virgin Mobile and they told us sounds like a hardware problem and we should have it exchanged.

We go back to Target and they didn't know how to return it. They call some clown from electronics and wait about 30 min for someone to come after walking back and forth to electronics bugging them to come help us with the return.

Somebody finally comes and makes a stupid ass comment and says "Oh this looks like fraud and is suspicious that you guys keep exchanging them and I have to get permission from a Manager".

I don't even feel like finishing the story because you probably wouldn't believe me.

Just know we walked out with the same phone pissed ASF.

Wow, I'm sorry you went through this.

On the fraud tip, I TOTALLY understand!

Thing is, with retailers of contract phones, we (I sold phones for a while) are told to NOT add iPhones to new accounts until a few months in pending the bill being paid.

Reason being is a lot of people add new iPhone lines, sell the phone online for more than the contract price, and never pay the bill.

The place that sells the phone loses money on the deal and the salesperson loses their commission

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
I've been an iPhone user since 2007. Years later now have a iPad, MacMini, MBPro, TimeCapsule and iTV. Been wanting to try Android but feel a bit chained to the Apple ecosystem. Everything syncs so seamlessly now.

How did those that switched adapted to:
1) music-no more iTunes (iTunes Match?, Airplay?),
2) pictures wireless sync to your Apple computers - no more photo stream.

I'm not worried about change and learning a new system, i just want things to work well "behind the curtain".

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I just changed back to the iPhone 5S after having a Galaxy S4 for 3 months. I don't foresee giving another android phone a chance for awhile.

I'd consider a nexus 7 because it's super cheap and very casual in usage so some bugs and annoyances won't be a big deal.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I just changed back to the iPhone 5S after having a Galaxy S4 for 3 months. I don't foresee giving another android phone a chance for awhile.

I'd consider a nexus 7 because it's super cheap and very casual in usage so some bugs and annoyances won't be a big deal.

what was your issue with the s4?

MikeyMike01

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2010
Despite having no compelling reason whatsoever to buy a Nexus 5, I kinda want one.

I probably won't get one though.

lighthouse_man

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2005

Google Music is similar to iTunes Match minus the Radio and is free. You'll use the music manager to upload your iTunes library to the cloud which you can then access from Android devices as well as by visiting the web site. I heard they're about to release an app for iOS too. There is a few Airplay apps on the Play store.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
Google Music is similar to iTunes Match minus the Radio and is free. You'll use the music manager to upload your iTunes library to the cloud which you can then access from Android devices as well as by visiting the web site. I heard they're about to release an app for iOS too. There is a few Airplay apps on the Play store.

Thank you for your response.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
2) pictures wireless sync to your Apple computers - no more photo stream.
As noted, you can use Google Play Music to upload your iTunes library. What might not have been obvious is that you can run the Music Manager in the background, and it will upload any new iTunes music dynamically - meaning your Google account will always have the music your iTunes one does within minutes (or less) as long as a Mac is logged in (or as soon as you log in on one). Also, you can use that same Manager to download all of your Google Play music - or just what you've bought/gotten free from Google (and Google offers 5-6 free songs a week, plus collections of a dozen or so songs a time or two per month - far more often than iTunes) - and then import it into iTunes. Very nice.

Also, yes, you give up PhotoStream, but I will say that Google+ does an excellent, excellent job of syncing things you take on your phone to your account. And you can download anything to any system, although that's not the same thing as having them sync automatically.

Pravda

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Philly
As noted, you can use Google Play Music to upload your iTunes library. What might not have been obvious is that you can run the Music Manager in the background, and it will upload any new iTunes music dynamically - meaning your Google account will always have the music your iTunes one does within minutes (or less) as long as a Mac is logged in (or as soon as you log in on one). Also, you can use that same Manager to download all of your Google Play music - or just what you've bought/gotten free from Google (and Google offers 5-6 free songs a week, plus collections of a dozen or so songs a time or two per month - far more often than iTunes) - and then import it into iTunes. Very nice.

Also, yes, you give up PhotoStream, but I will say that Google+ does an excellent, excellent job of syncing things you take on your phone to your account. And you can download anything to any system, although that's not the same thing as having them sync automatically.

Thank you for the info.
I'm going to do some more homework and check the Nexus 5 when it's available at local BestBuy.
Seems like music will be a simple transition as you guys noted from your responses. Now that I know Google Play will upload songs from iTunes dynamically to my Nexus and vice versa, that's one thing to hold me up from trying out an android device.
Music is very important part of my life.

Thanks again for the responses.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Thank you for the info.
I'm going to do some more homework and check the Nexus 5 when it's available at local BestBuy.
Seems like music will be a simple transition as you guys noted from your responses. Now that I know Google Play will upload songs from iTunes dynamically to my Nexus and vice versa, that's one thing to hold me up from trying out an android device.
Music is very important part of my life.

Thanks again for the responses.

Note that you don't have to use Music Manager and Google Music. You can still sync your iTunes playlists to your phone using an app called iSyncr, which is only like $4 or $5 on Google Play. You just plug it in to your computer, iSyncr detects your phone and launches iTunes. Choose which playlists you want to sync, and off you go. It basically translates your iTunes library into one that the Google Music app understands, and it's stored locally on your phone and you're off to the races.

Personally I prefer to have music stored locally on my phone. I do have most of my iTunes music uploaded but for whatever reason playlists don't seem to sync correctly. However, the streaming speed and quality, even without LTE (on my Nexus 4) is quite good.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Personally I prefer to have music stored locally on my phone. I do have most of my iTunes music uploaded but for whatever reason playlists don't seem to sync correctly. However, the streaming speed and quality, even without LTE (on my Nexus 4) is quite good.
Just out of curiosity, are you aware that you can pin playlists and they'll download to your phone? I've never had an issue with that on mine, and Music Manager has always gotten playlists right. Then again, I've stopped modifying the iTunes ones, so that might be the difference.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
If I go to t mobile next year I might get one
$349 is a nice price and I'll save money to buy iPads every year

BJonson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Actually iv'e changed my mind. I am selling my POS 64GB iP 5S as soon as I have a buyer. I have had nothing but problems with Apple, Specifically with there iPhone 's. Every time I buy one, exchange it, or try to add a line and get a iPhone WITH ANY CARRIER or at the Apple Store. They look at me crazy and always make remarks about fraud.

This happen the other day when trying to add a line and get a 5S for my mom at the APPLE STORE IN LAS VEGAS.
The rep asked me why the account is so new and why didn't I add all the line(s) at once with a attitude.

I told her it's none of her god damn business how I spend my money or what I do with my account.

She then went into the back to grab the iPhone and came back out with the manger and they said to prevent fraud they need my utility bill and my SSN card even though the god damn account was established and we were just adding a line. I came back and brought that and they "cleared me" and they activated the iPhone and as I was going to pay all cash she said they need at credit card with at least $1 TO PREVENT SWEET BABY JESUS GOD DAMN FRAUD AND TO TRACK THE PURCHASE IF NEEDED IN THE FUTURE!!!!!!!!!!!:(

LS;S I never got the phone for my mom.
Know this happened a few months back,

I had a Verizon iPhone 5 that I was using with TMobile and my screen backlight went dead. They were going to swap it out and they asked me what carrier I had, I said T-Mobile she then got angry and said "Oh we don't support T-Mobile and you can't even use TMobile on a Verizon phone, It sounds like you hacked your phone and we can't help you, thats what cause your screen to go out."

I was gonna tell her YOU ****ING STUPID **** FACE SON OF A BITCH, HOW IN THE WORLD DOES A SIM CARD INTERFERE WITH THE SCREEN

I didn't even feel like dealing with her and told her to bring her manager.

He came and I told him what was going on and that my screen was out and and told him I didn't hack my phone because i'm using it with T-Mobile and told him all Verizon 4G LTE PHONES ARE FACTORY UNLOCKED per the FCC.

Anyway's he didn't believe me. And I never got my phone repaired/swapped and had to drop it in the water on purpose and pay the out of warranty fee to get a replacement a few days later.

Now what happen last night is what officially making me change my mind about these god dam iPhones!

Went to Target with my mom to buy a PrePaid Virgin Mobile iPhone 4S, Everything was cool, we got the phone activated. 2 days later she notices her camera doesn't work. We go back to Target get it exchanged no problems.

We get home and the phone doesn't activate or get any service all it says is "Searching". We call Apple and Virgin Mobile and they told us sounds like a hardware problem and we should have it exchanged.

We go back to Target and they didn't know how to return it. They call some clown from electronics and wait about 30 min for someone to come after walking back and forth to electronics bugging them to come help us with the return.

Somebody finally comes and makes a stupid ass comment and says "Oh this looks like fraud and is suspicious that you guys keep exchanging them and I have to get permission from a Manager".

I don't even feel like finishing the story because you probably wouldn't believe me.

Just know we walked out with the same phone pissed ASF.

Wow that is some story. I believe it. I have been in the same boat with iphones and AT&T. AT&T are such snobs in my town. The corporate store acts like they are handing out oxygen when you get there and you have no choice but to do exactly what they say. I won't even go into how ridiculous they act but suffice to say buying a nexus and not having to deal with them is a definite plus.

cuzo

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2012
I want to wait in reviews before i order. I'll love the 5 inch screen but I also have a guy with a gs4 who wants to trade.

The last android. I had was a evo design so it should be a huge step up for me.

JOSE891

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2012
Las Vegas
Wow that is some story. I believe it. I have been in the same boat with iphones and AT&T. AT&T are such snobs in my town. The corporate store acts like they are handing out oxygen when you get there and you have no choice but to do exactly what they say. I won't even go into how ridiculous they act but suffice to say buying a nexus and not having to deal with them is a definite plus.

I know right? I verify my account with my PASSPORT AND STATE ID and they still look at me crazy like i'm a Alien. Anyway I somewhat like the Apple Eco System and will be getting a iPad Mini Retina since I already bought a bunch of app's and they have some apps I need android doesn't have.

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
While I think the 18 month window is weird, arbitrary, and lame (not to mention it undermines the whole idea that Android can be run even with 512MB RAM), it ultimately, isn't that big of a deal.

Why? Because...

1) 18 month support is still pretty damn good, second only to Apple who may support their devices longer, but doesn't give you every feature (sometimes doesn't give you the main feature) of the latest OS-es. Take that for what you will.

2) But more importantly, it's not a big deal because Google updates their individual core apps and frameworks independently. And they do this throughout the year, multiple times. This also extends to non-Nexus devices, too. I much prefer this model since it means things get improved and features get added much quicker, instead of waiting annually for it to come in an OS update. And even after waiting a year for Apple, you may not get the feature/updates you want -- I'm looking at you, iOS keyboard. It's been years since the iOS keyboard has been updated in any substantial way. For comparison's sake, how many times has the Google Keyboard been updated since its release into the Play Store this past year? I can recall at least three or so updates -- with another one coming soon along with Kit Kat.

In other words, the 18 month window of support really shouldn't be a deal breaker. Especially when you consider the only company that supports devices longer is Apple, but at a price...

iPhone 4S, but does not support:
Filters in Camera app
AirDrop

iPhone 4, but does not support:
All items from iPhone 4S, plus
Panoramic photos
Siri

Third-Generation iPad, but does not support:
Filters in Camera app
Panoramic photos
AirDrop

iPad 2, but does not support:
All items from 3rd Gen. iPad, plus
Filters in Photos app
Square photos and videos
Siri

What might get left out in the iPhone 5 or 5c when iOS 8 comes next year?

The left out feature is due to hardware limitation, not because the vendor said you can't have the upgrade because it's more than 18 months.

Enjoy your phone for 18 months (since released) while you can

GR33NIE

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Honest advice for those thinking about switching...take some serious time out to think about it first :)

I swapped from a 4S to a Nexus 4, about 2 months later I was regretting it:

- The hardware is cheap for a reason, my first Nexus 4 even was sent back to Google because of several dead pixels
- While the switch to Android is refreshing to begin with I soon got bored
- The OS still isn't as polished as iOS. Fact.

These were just a few of my gripes, shamefully after mocking iOS7 I'm back with an iPhone and honestly wondering why I ever left in the first place :)

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
Honest advice for those thinking about switching...take some serious time out to think about it first :)

I swapped from a 4S to a Nexus 4, about 2 months later I was regretting it:

- The hardware is cheap for a reason, my first Nexus 4 even was sent back to Google because of several dead pixels
- The OS still isn't as polished as iOS. Fact.

These were just a few of my gripes, shamefully after mocking iOS7 I'm back with an iPhone and honestly wondering why I ever left in the first place :)

Lol. Good review. As always, neighbor grass always looks greener

Chodite

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Baltimore, MD

Wait. BORED?! But you're perfectly entertained by iOS 7? :confused:

Two reasons I left the iPhone (my last was an iPhone 5):

• small screen
• bored with iOS

Not sure how you're bored with Android and not bored with iOS. Weird.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Wait. BORED?! But you're perfectly entertained by iOS 7? :confused:

Two reasons I left the iPhone (my last was an iPhone 5):

• small screen
• bored with iOS

Not sure how you're bored with Android and not bored with iOS. Weird.

Do you still keep your iPhone around?

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I would have to sell my iPhone 5, because I could never justify spending $350 to have something different for the sake of change. And I think I might regret not having an iPhone, because I know I'll miss the apps and seamlessness between my Mac and iPad. But I really do want that big, beautiful screen, and to use Android 4.4 as a daily driver, with guaranteed updates from Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.