Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm not so sure you're going to see an iPad mini with a higher PPI than an iPad. And I think they made clear that they think there's value in being able to use all the standard iPad apps, so you're unlikely to get some weird in-between resolution just for the sake of matching PPI. I think the current positioning, higher than the 'legacy' iPad but not quite as high as the retina iPads, is a sweet spot you'll see stick around for a while.

Not to mention I see it as a good "budget" model. Yes it's not cheap in any way but remember when they released the iPod Shuffle to be the "iPod" for everyone? Basically it's for low end user so that "everyone" can have one.

I don't mean this as a negative thing. Just from a marketing stand point.

----------

I can imagine all those workers ripping the insides out of an old dated iPad 2 and putting them into the new iPad mini......Job Done!

You forgot the middle step of putting them under the shrink ray first... and then adding in a new Wifi/BT chip, 2 new cameras, new lightning port, thinner screen... actually it's probably all new parts except for the A5 processor...

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
For the first time I (just) missed first day delivery on my white mini, so I'll jump in line at the store, and if I get one there, will return the preordered one that comes a week or so later.

dckcentaur

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Everyone thinks the iPad Mini cost to much . Just something to think about a iPod Touch (new generation is going for 299 with 32 Gb but much smaller screen or iPod touch 16Gb for 199 with much smaller screen. Compare that to what you get with the iPad Mini for $339. So basically for $39 a screen that is more the double in size and 16GB less. I think it is priced where is should be compared to all the other models.
Now t $130 extra for Cell Radio that cost apple maybe $20 to put in. That is where I can say Apple charges to much.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Everyone thinks the iPad Mini cost to much . Just something to think about a iPod Touch (new generation is going for 299 with 32 Gb but much smaller screen or iPod touch 16Gb for 199 with much smaller screen. Compare that to what you get with the iPad Mini for $339. So basically for $39 a screen that is more the double in size and 16GB less. I think it is priced where is should be compared to all the other models.
Now t $130 extra for Cell Radio that cost apple maybe $20 to put in. That is where I can say Apple charges to much.

Ummm retina display on iTouch

Ced5up

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
Excited for the mini, not for the case

So, I ordered my mini today and can't wait to get it so I can switch from my iPad 2, which is just a bit too big when I'm on the go.

The problem is, that since I'm pretty much gonna throw it in my bag all the time, I wanted a something with a big more substance than the same old smart cover. I tried that with my iPad 2, and decided I like one of the third party ones better. It's almost a whole year later now, and I thought Apple would have come up with a better case offering on its own after seeing all the stuff people used for the full size iPad. No such luck, I guess.

Anyone else feeling this way?

Last edited:

andsoitgoes

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
What does "preparing for shipment" really mean, though? I ordered the SD reader and an extra power brick, which are available now. I'm wondering if the other items in the order, ones that are in stock, are the ones which are "ready".

Crap I just realized I need to add another cable to my order. Fart.

alzapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
For any one that has preordered before(I have not) does Apple have a track record for shipping the 3g/4gLTE models ahead of time? I am hoping to have mine before my vacation on the 20th. :)

Luscious

Suspended
Aug 8, 2007
The iPad mini may not be as aggressively priced as many hoped but they will sell like hotcakes a year from now when the mini 2 goes on sale and you can buy the current model for $249.

Paradigm

macrumors member
Feb 14, 2008
My iPad 4!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

cbronfman

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2008
Washington DC
+1

So, I ordered my mini today and can't wait to get it so I can switch from my iPad 2, which is just a bit too big when I'm on the go.

The problem is, that since I'm pretty much gonna throw it in my bag all the time, I wanted a something with a big more substance than the same old smart cover. I tried that with my iPad 2, and decided I like one of the third party ones better. It's almost a whole year later now, and I thought Apple would have come up with a better case offering on its own after seeing all the stuff people used for the full size iPad. No such luck, I guess.

Anyone else feeling this way?

I agree - I didn't order the smart cover because after the first 4 months, I never used it again on my iPad2. Biggest problem I found with it, is if you were reading and holding the iPad, you could find yourself holding the smart cover with the iPad tumbling away. Never happened to me, but did to others on these boards and I realized it was a matter a time. I ordered the iPad Mini without a case for the time being. I put myself on mailing lists so I can check out cases when they become available: Marware (I really like the strap on the CEO Hybrid, iPad Strap, Speck. I don't want anything to add bulk, but I do want something to help me grip the iPad when I read or email etc. The strap works well for me. Waiting to find something that works for the iPad Mini, hopefully another strap.

The smart cover was intended to keep the form factor with no bulk. Elegant, but to me it presented risks. I used it as I said for the first 4 months along with a Sena Sleeve.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
macorderupdate.com is what this site should be called. We can all expect another front page article about the first people doing unboxings of their iPad minis as well.

Without "filler" there would be only a couple articles a day or less. It all depends on what you think is "filler" and what you think is a valid article. Some people are interested in seeing the "unboxing" of an iPad mini, others like me not so much. Everybody's different. Cut Macrumors a little slack. :)

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
So I take it that the black models are being shipped faster as I've seen most thread that theirs changed to Prepared Shipment while I only saw very few thread about the white ones being prepared to ship. As mine still says Processing Items.:confused:

JS3

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2010
My ipad 4 32gb white is preparing for shipment. As of maybe a few hours ago.

insomnious

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2012
I'm in the UK and ordered a 16gb black with a Smart Cover at 8am. Just checked and it says ready for shipment. Happy days :)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Why did they wait for 12 hours to start preparing shipments? They should have started immediately.

MakX

macrumors member
May 27, 2009
Sucks having to wait 2 weeks for my black 16GB mini to ship. Damn not being in the US/UK :(

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I think they started preparing shipments for the white models? I just checked and mines preparing for shipment and I ordered White. BTW I live in US as well.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 9.26.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-10-26 at 9.26.05 PM.png
    30 KB · Views: 64
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.