Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
1) Chrome face is shiny. Helps initial sales in stores (also can be laser etched easier)

2) Chrome face goes kablooey fast. Hurts secondary sales in the used market. This is good for Apple as it builds in obsolescence.

well that was quick, it already has scratches.
ipodtouch2010hands6.jpg

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
The Back to school promo runs until Sep 7 but only offers the older iPods. Is that intentional or just a store page not yet updated?

usually it is the older model offered. The promotion always have product numbers associate with them, basically newer iPod touch never offered in back to school promotion (every year)

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
This was Apple's most moronic iPod day in some ways:

No product between $49 and $149... that's just plain moronic.
Nano loses video and camera and remains the same price. That's super-moronic, as if a touch screen and half size means it is worth the price? I swear they should fire someone over there.
No Classic upgrade.
No iPT lowered into the $149-up category. This was totally ridiculous because they could have kept the most stripped down old style version and offered it for $149.

As for the shuffle: BRILLIANT. That was their one true success today--sub $50 and the wheel is back, smaller, better battery. Amazing, but sadly just a bauble-device.

Shivetya

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
That camera resolution is embarrassing. I would be all over it if it had real picture taking ability.

headset

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
vermont
nano watch

man it's too bad there's no peizo on the nano. I would totally buy one to use as a watch if it had an alarm...

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Touch is decent, rest is a load of arse.

Guess taking video off the Nano isn't such a huge deal, surely no one sat there and watched a film on it.

[DL]

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2010
Louisiana
Saw this on Facebook. It was the App Store's status. When I saw the tiny picture of the new Touch, Shuffle, and Nano I said "hory shet".

Then I knew that I must go check out MacRumors and Apple.

Seriously, this is freaking awesome.

Scott549

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2010
Anyone know? Can you make Skype calls with an iPod Touch without an external mic or headphones?

beeh

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
ETA2: .69 Megapixel back camera...that's why there is no flash for it. Ouch.

I don't think that is correct, the video is 960x720, but I thought that was filtered? The still quality would be something better, like 1280 x 720, right? Or something better than that?

I could be wrong, but it seems odd apple would add HD video and a crap still quality cam.

Ichneumon

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
Who would want to watch video on the new Nano anyway? It would probably make you go blind or something.:p

Actually, I did find it handy to watch video on it, but you're right that it isn't the best thing for the job. I am still doubting whether or not to buy a nano. I would've liked video watching capacity, if only for the vodcasts I occasionally follow. I might buy one, or wait until next year, maybe they'll return the video capacity to it. I feel the nano is a bit crippled now.

caribou123

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
you might want to close your browser and re-open it (refresh the page) because I don't see anything in the US store or Canada about 8gb and 32gb models shipping with different headphones.

Thank you, so I am not the only one seeing only standard earphones on all models!

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
My 2 cents, much like other's 2 cents:
  • shuffle: A return to form of sorts, and will sell like hotcakes. No more waiting for 2nd gen refurbs, as this is $10 cheaper than a 2Gb 2nd gen refurb used to be. Thumbs up.
  • nano: Clip a plus. Loss of video playback and built-in speaker = BIG minus. I've used my nano for placating my daughter with a cartoon while in waiting rooms/lines, and for playing TV episodes in hotel rooms using the Composite TV Cable when there was nothing on. And it's still as expensive as the last gen, for less functionality? Like Rick James, I wish I had two more hands-- so I could give this four thumbs down!
  • touch: It's an OK update, I guess. Thumbs up, provisionally.
  • classic: Reports of its death are exaggerated, though possibly not for long.
  • iTunes 10: I stay away from Facebook like the plague; why would I want Ping? Let's hope that there are some performance tweaks to make it snappier, especially for Windows users, and a way to shut Ping off.
  • :apple:tv is now officially intriguing. As I tend to have my iMac up and running, I don't have problems with lack of internal storage, so streaming is OK with me-- thank goodness I upgraded my router to the latest AEBS. Keeps YouTube: check. Adds NetFlix: Checkity check; NetFlix support is a big development. Rentals? Meh; Handbrake FTW. Tiny size is nice. Tiny price is even nicer. Thumbs up; this may be my next :apple: device.

genosseinski

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Take the nano this way:

Last iPod Nano had a nice little video cam and Steve wanted it to compete with dedicated video cams like "Flip".
The new iPod Touch does this job now, with 2 cams, definitely good enough for small video clips.
Now Steve thought: Let's make the iPod Nano a pure mp3 player. Most people don't care about converting and syncing videos to the iPod anyway. Especially on such a small screen.

Touchscreen is hip, so let's include it. Of course it's less useful than real buttons (we are speaking about a mere music player, where you need 3 buttons 99% of the time, you don't need the flexibility of a touchscreen) - but people like fancy things.

And because everything needs to get smaller and super-thin, they decided to go for this, admittedly, odd design. (How do you hold this thing in your hand?)

I mean I see some points in having it as a small audio player where you can actually choose your song without skipping a hundred. But as many people said, the iPod Touch is way too close.
Maybe 99$ for 16 GB would be a nice deal, as a sort of "additional" backup music device.

All in all I think they will go back to the previous design next gen, just as they did with the Shuffle today :)

The Man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Nano needs a good wrist strap

Too bad the nano doesn't have an alarm. Still, if someone (maybe Apple) makes a good wrist band, then I'm buying one as a watch. Okay, it's not the thinnest watch (I like my Casio Film Watch), but hey, it will be a watch and music player in one.

David G.

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
Alaska
Looks like I'm gonna stay with my 1st gen 16GB iPod touch and wait another year. I hope next years model gets chunkier and with more and better stuff. Things like a GPS, a physically larger camera, and a bigger battery for web surfing and game battery life, maybe even a new case material:eek:, those would do it a lot of good.

Come on :apple:, you could have done just one of those things and not lost money from extra costs involved, it would have all been made up in extra sales. Every time the september events role around I here people showing off their new apple toys and people in response saying they would buy it if only for one more thing. Happens every year.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
This was Apple's most moronic iPod day in some ways:

No product between $49 and $149... that's just plain moronic.
Nano loses video and camera and remains the same price. That's super-moronic, as if a touch screen and half size means it is worth the price? I swear they should fire someone over there.
No Classic upgrade.
No iPT lowered into the $149-up category. This was totally ridiculous because they could have kept the most stripped down old style version and offered it for $149.

As for the shuffle: BRILLIANT. That was their one true success today--sub $50 and the wheel is back, smaller, better battery. Amazing, but sadly just a bauble-device.

Shuffle would have been awesome if it has a 4GB option. I don't understand why they don't have one to fill the price gap you mentioned above.

Based on history, when can we expect a 4GB Shuffle?

watersjj

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Did anybody notice that the iPod Touch now has 802.11 n WiFi? This is great news. I hope this will speed up things a lot!

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Is the 30-pin dock connector on the new iPod Touch the same as the previous 2nd generation and 3rd generation iPod touches?

Steve Jobs mentioned during the media event that the new iPods will be out next week. On the Apple site, the iPods ship in one week. Does anyone know if there is an exact date as to when it comes out to an Apple Store?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.