Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The majority of iOS devices are sold to windows users simply because windows is the dominant OS. Because of hte dog that was Vista many people didn't upgrade so if Apple didn't support XP they would lose out on a lot of sales.

Not saying i agree with the move though...

Oh I understand your point, I am just looking at it from a different angle.

My argument isn't with the Windows side. That makes sense to me, and I like that they support XP. I just don't understand why they don't support Tiger. I don't see any technical reason that Tiger can't sync with a current version iPod, or IOS device.

I love Apple, but I can't stand it's rushed forced obsolescence of older software and hardware.

well look, if you buy a mac in the past three years you will get leopard. if you own a mac older than 3 years it's either time for u to buy a new machine, or upgrade your OS.

XP on the other hand, were still the preferred OS for PC until last year. the majority of business shipped XP on their machines w/ XP (skipping Vista) until this year, while many continue to do so. in other words, XP is on many new machines while Tiger is only on old machines that should be upgraded.

Also, it's far cheaper and easier to upgrade from Tiger to Leopard ($29 disk) than upgrading from XP to Windows 7. This is another reason XP support is important because many ppl bought XP in the last 2 years are stuck w/ it for a while.

You can't upgrade to Leopard for $29, that is Snow Leopard which has no support for PowerPC systems. If you want to upgrade to Leopard, you Can't do it through apple because they no longer sell 10.5 for whatever reason.

ghostalker

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2008
Almost

My gen 1 iPT is getting long in the tooth. I was hoping that this refresh would be compelling enough to upgrade, but the camera seems to be a disappointment (we'll see what the reviews say, but resolution is low)

For me an ideal Touch would have a 5" screen (Dell Streak size) and a decent rear facing camera.

Here's hoping that November brings the rumored 7" iPad (with a decent rear facing camera)

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
It's very nice that Apple went back to this design for the ipod shuffle. It is the perfect ipod for a gym, doing yard work, or any other situation where you don't want to pull out your expensive, fragile, and big ipod or iphone. With the buttons, you can navigate your playlist without looking at it... It's the perfect design, and if it accidentally hits the ground, its small and rugged enough to handle it, and affordable enough to replace if it doesn't :) Good move; now if only you'd get the Iphone4 to be able to record stereo audio......

I don't agree, I think the previous one was better. I always take it out on a run and just tuck the iPod away somewhere to keep it dry, and use the remote control in the headphone cord. This, in combination with the voiceover is brilliant for on the go. No buttons to be fumbling for, no screen to look at while controlling it.

Nevertheless I presume this new one will work with the remote so I suppose it could be used the same way.

baleensavage

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2005
On an island in Maine
my 2¢

Shuffle - what the shuffle should have been the last time around
Nano - what the shuffle should be this time around
Touch - awesome update with the notable exception of the 1990s cell phone quality camera and the scratch attracting shiny metal back that just won't die.

Missing - a real successor to the nano and an update to the classic

NOTORIOUS187

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2009
I agree, I like having the physical click wheel so that in the winter I can skip songs in my pocket without having to take my gloves off. I guess since Apple is located in southern Cal, they don't have this problem.

Protip: Cupertino is near San Francisco.

billysea

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2008
iPod Shuffle vs Nano

I wanted to get a small iPod to accompany my iPhone. The Nano pricing is very bad for what it offers. The Shuffle suddenly looks very cheap in comparison. But I wish they have a 4GB version for the Shuffle (why don't they??)

How much is the current 4GB Shuffle and was it introduced the same time last year with the 2GB, or was it later? When can I expect a 4GB Shuffle?

transmaster

Contributor
Feb 1, 2010
Cheyenne, Wyoming
Over looking something

nobody here is talking about iOS 4.1 which will be pushed out next week. Anybody with an Touch 2G or newer will now be able to print documents.

Looks like my first purchase from Cheyenne's Apple store will be the Touch 4G.

ladeer

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2007
Gigantic meh from me.

I have a MiniDisplayport ---> HDMI cable to show movies/TV shows on my HDTV, so I don't need Apple TV. Don't want to rent my content.

Already have a smart phone - haven't touched my Touch in at least a year.

Nano was basically crippled down to a premium Shuffle. Shuffle is back to the old design.

So out of this, I got a new version of iTunes with features I won't use. Rad.

sheesh if you already have an iPhone and a Mac connected to TV, of course this update is not for you. this is not a Mac or iPhone or iPad update, but iPod/music and atv update! what did you expect?!

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
my 2¢

Touch - awesome update with the notable exception of the 1990s cell phone quality camera and the scratch attracting shiny metal back that just won't die.

Pretty much spot on but i need to see the Nano in the flesh to judge how user friendly that small screen is…

RebootD

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2009
NW Indiana
Shuffle = Win. Glad to see the buttons back plus 2GB for only $49? I may get one for the gym... if I ever get to a gym.. sigh.

Nano = Bahaha.. oh sorry.. it's seriously small with a touch screen? No video? No camera? For how much? Never mind.

iPod Touch = Screen is amazing and the size reduction will make it even more pocket friendly but that camera resolution is pathetic. And if it was $199/32GB I would replace my old iPT. Oh well have to have some reason to get an iPhone 4!

hiptobesquare

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2003
Iowa
Good moves, but under-delivery on the iPodTouch.

The rear camera should be better, with a flash. Some people don't want to carry that device AND a point&shoot camera.

I take the nano to be back to the purpose of a non-iOS iPod. An eminently mobile music device, plus some features. the video features are better served on the iPod touch with a useable screen size. (I still think the iPod Touch should just be called iPad 5")

I can see a lot of people wanting an iPod Nano for a portable music player (storage or FM), and a pocket photo album. It will be nice if it still has Nike+ pedometer type functions as well. It seems like a device well suited for that. It would go like GANGBUSTERS if it were less than 100$ to purchase.

Shuffle seems to be about the same, with the concession to go back to button availability. Really, is there a reason that it isn't less than 50$ to buy with more than just a couple of gigabytes? 39$ for 4GB, and 49$ for 8GB would be better, and step up to the nano for 70-99$ range, and then have the iPT above 100$.

November delay on an iOS update for iPad is a bit unfortunate. I wonder if they are planning a product upgrade before christmas, for a bit more RAM, a bit more capacity, a bit faster processor, better wifi reception, a bit higher screen resolution, and a camera or 2 on-board. Maybe an additional 7" form factor, if there is any truth to that rumor.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
my 2¢

Great observation. Agree with most of it, and am glad I decided to take the plunge and get an iPhone 4.

Pretty much spot on but i need to see the Nano in the flesh to judge how user friendly that small screen is…

I am in the same boat. Though having a new model with less features than the old unit (no video, and no video camera) is a bit strange.

I think I may purchase the last generation refurb as they become available.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I am in the same boat. Though having a new model with less features than the old unit (no video, and no video camera) is a bit strange.

I think I may purchase the last generation refurb as they become available.

Yeah i really like the design of the previous Nano. Might pick one up too. It was hard to tell from the stream cause my link kept breaking up but the Nano looked kinda laggy in use?

Dougmwpsu

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2008
So the Touch is more or less caught up with the iPhone. It's the iPhone without the cellular connection. The device for people without smart phones. Still a great strategy.

The shuffle went back to the 2nd gen design from 2006. Basically an admission that the button-less shuffle was a failure and they had no better idea than to backtrack. It's just about the most featureless mp3 player on the market right now and fairly uninspiring compared to the completion. For an example, see the sansa clip+

What's interesting here is that Nano. The previous Nano had major feature bloat and removing video and cam abilities probably indicates those weren't important to most people. I can see why they were niche features with the small screen and lack of wireless to move your videos around. This nano goes back to the core of what people used an iPod classic for: mp3 player. It's an attractive design, but I wonder about the pricing. Since it's only a music player, why pay 3 times as much as the competition for cover art? (again see sansa clip+)

I suspect that apple is struggling with how to maintain the iPod's relevance.

bloodycape

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2005
California
I was really hoping for a 64gb non-touch screen Nano with improved audio quality, but I guess that not what people want. That means I either have to wait for Sony to bring over their 64gb Walkman to US, or find a Japanese retailer that carries it for fair price under $375 with the English interface. :/

tychay

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Nano and Touch placement

The two questions are:

1.Can the ipod touch take photos
2.Does the ipod touch still have that chrome back?

1. Yes. really ****** ones.

The reason is simply the camera on the back of the touch is much smaller than an iPhone 4. Resolution suffers. Low light and dynamic range suffers. Note that even if Apple were to include a multi megapixel sensor, the pixel pitch would be much better than the diffraction accuity. Sure you have more pixels but the pixels are a blurry mess (something they don't tell you happens nearly all the time when you shoot a 12 megapixel pocket camera).

As for why the lesser quality camera, it's a function of the following: The iPhone 4 needs to be as thick as it is for the antenna and wireless chip support. Take those out, and you have thin as an option. But if you have thin, then there is no space for a high quality camera. Apple opted for thin.

2. Yes. Stainless steel http://www.apple.com/ipodtouch/design/. They should probably give up and brush metal the back in the future. (They probably won't because the chrome face makes it sell well and hurts the 2nd hand market sales. Both good for Apple.)

The new iPod nano is basically the iPod shuffle with a screen and Nike+ compatibility. The new use case for it is http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/features.html#fitness and such which is currently where the current shuffle is most used (but limited because of the single button interface). The new shuffle fixes that for people on a budget (and still want to pay $$ for an Apple product).

For video that was in the nano, the touch is designed to replace it. The reason why the video capability was removed has already been stated: currently the iPod touch is their biggest selling iPod. Apple sees the writing that the future of the iPod is the touch (not the classic, not the nano), and is relegating the nano to a niche device. My guess is people weren't buying the new Nano because it added video capability. Video isn't compelling and Apple things Facetime (and iMovie editing+ flickr/youtube wireless uploads) will change that.

anthonymb

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
hmmm

excited for the new itouch, getting it in 3 weeks...ish.
but

i haven't seen any comments on the obvious...

it can record HD video and facetime, but it doesn't say anything about an inbuilt mic...

i hope that they don't expect you to carry the crappy mic-headphones everywhere to get the sound...that would be so annoying. :/

ACTUALLY SORRY IT DOES SAY ON THE APPLE SITE. dammit i need to pay more attention.

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2005
excited for the new itouch, getting it in 3
i hope that they don't expect you to carry the crappy mic-headphones everywhere to get the sound...that would be so annoying. :/

ACTUALLY SORRY IT DOES SAY ON THE APPLE SITE. dammit i need to pay more attention.

Yeah I think it's the little hole next to the camera at the back

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
my 2¢

+1 and iPod nano camera gone right?

Steve; We have nice line up; how to screw up? Let us bring the iPod nano and take the Click wheel out and camera out! (like the last time we did to iPod shuffle) :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.