Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

parkerl

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
My Interview Experience

I have been using this forum for a month or so now to get some helpful tips for my interview process so I figured I should return the favor. I applied for the position online and soon got an invitation to sign up for an information session. Since I'm currently in India for a study abroad program, I wasn't able to make it to an info session at 2:30am local time. I exchanged some emails with the Apple recruiting team in order to confirm my enrollment in college-level courses. After a few days, I was told that my enrollment had been confirmed, and I was soon asked to schedule a FaceTime interview. After following the link for the online scheduling process, I found a good time that worked with the time difference here. A few days later, I had my FaceTime interview with a team manager. The interview went pretty well despite the international connection delay. My interviewer told me that I would here back within the next two weeks about whether or not they wanted to continue with me. Yesterday (almost exactly two weeks later), I got a phone call from a recruiter in California who told me that I was going to receive the job offer. This was especially surprising/exciting because I was almost certain that I would need to complete at least two interviews before receiving an offer. The recruiter told me that the offer packet will be sent to my house in the states and will contain all of the small details about my employment. He said I should expect a salary of around $11.50 an hour. This was a little lower than I was hoping, but it's far better than my past jobs involving minimum wage and manual labor. I have heard from this forum that Apple will occasionally give a higher pay rate in the offer packet than they tell you on the phone. Of course, I am hoping this proves to be true. Now I'm just waiting to sign the paperwork, and I'm excited to start working for this awesome company!

Here are some things I was asked in my only interview because I know that is what the majority of the readers are interested in:

-Talk about a time you had to help a friend with a technical problem.
-What is the most difficult technical problem you have ever handled?
-Do you have experience assembling computers or hard drives?
-I said no to this. Keep in mind that they are not looking for computer geeks. They just want people with great customer service skills and somewhat of a background in technology. If you don't have much tech experience, tell the interviewer honestly and confidently. It really is not a big deal.
-Talk about a customer service challenge you have overcome

Other than those questions, everything else involved more personal and simple questions about myself. The interview is laid back, and you will succeed if you remain confident and relaxed. Just like any other job interview, COME PREPARED. There are plenty of sample questions on this forum and elsewhere to help you out. Take advantage of them and your interview will go very well.

starrrlov

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2014
I have my paperwork phone meeting on Friday April 19th.

I will be in the May 12th training class.

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Just listen to what your recruiters/hiring managers/interviewers/paperwork sessions tell you about a phone line. At some point you may transition to VoIP, or you may use it your first day. There's no real way to tell right now. Just follow the instructions you are given. It wouldn't be great to get fired because you didn't have a phone line ready.

appendixman33

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2014
A lot of "tell me about a time when" questions...

Customer scenarios to make sure that you use empathy and build rapport with the customer

What would you do if your iPhone wont turn on

How do you use technology in your personal life and what do you do to keep current with your tech skills

the questions were not too hard....

I was asked a lot about "tell me a time when you had to trouble a family members iPad/iPhone" I was asked why I wanted to work for Apple and what my current experience was in. It seemed like they were gauging how much I already knew about Apple and what more I could learn by this job.

My interview lasted about an hour almost. Did you ask any follow up questions?

applelover06

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2014
Ill ask about the phone line tomorrow…I was told we didn't need it, and I can't afford to sign up for something else if I don't need it. Ill ask tomorrow and if need be ill set something up with AT&T. They said they were transitioning to soft phones though through the comp.

eww7633

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2008
Ill ask about the phone line tomorrow…I was told we didn't need it, and I can't afford to sign up for something else if I don't need it. Ill ask tomorrow and if need be ill set something up with AT&T. They said they were transitioning to soft phones though through the comp.

They are, but not everyone is transitioning at the same time.

jaimielyn09

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014

Thank you!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.