Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I was curious if HireRight has completed my check so I called them. However the automated system now says that they are unable to discuss the status of checks and to please contact my HR recruiter directly. Is this what others have been doing? Is there a different way to get the information out of HR?

Call hireright, then option 1 then option 5. That will get you to somebody that will tell you. That's what I do.

Trevorman

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2012
Call hireright, then option 1 then option 5. That will get you to somebody that will tell you. That's what I do.

Ahhh OK I was calling a different number I guess. When I called back it initially told me the same thing to contact the company requesting the check for status decisions but then I talked to someone after that who was able to help me. Apple got everything today so now the waiting game begins!

Pilot DC

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2012
I'm in the same boat. I have to schedule to get a phone line installed. Who the heck has a phone line?!?!

It can be a digital line with your cable company, just not Vonage, or Magic Jack voip lines.

----------

Monday is the big day for me. Any other 10/8'rs?

KendraPlanet

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I knew it.

The "We'll let you know either way" was the sure sign.

Thank you for pursuing a career opportunity with Apple. I want to personally thank you for investing the time to speak with us. At this time, however, we have chosen to move forward with other candidates.

Again, we appreciate your interest in Apple. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
I knew it.

The "We'll let you know either way" was the sure sign.

Thank you for pursuing a career opportunity with Apple. I want to personally thank you for investing the time to speak with us. At this time, however, we have chosen to move forward with other candidates.

Again, we appreciate your interest in Apple. We wish you the best in your future endeavors.

Did you do the BG Check?

To the people who have been hired so far.. What did the interviewer tell you at the end of your interview?

KendraPlanet

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Did you do the BG Check?

To the people who have been hired so far.. What the interviewer tell you at the end of your interview?

No. This was the third interview where the interviewer didn't bother asking me to desmonstrate any troubleshooting steps. We didn't do any role playing. No questions regarding empathy.

He asked me about my background (which is tech and customer service). He asked what I'm doing now (tech and customer service). He asked why I would be a good fit for Apple (so I elaborated on the tech/customer service part). He asked about the last time I was coached (we're not). He asked about the last time I went above and beyond for a customer (I told him a great story, and how the customer was very happy with my help). He asked what I would do if a friend had an old pc that wouldn't turn on (only so many things you can do there).

I expected more troubleshooting questions or more customer questions or role play. But no. That was it.

He bluntly said, "Any questions?" I said, "Are you able to tell me if I'll be moving forward?" He said, "I'll have to foward my information to a recruiter and it's up to them. But we'll let you know either way." That's when I heard the "needle scratching across the record."

I told I was appreciative for being considered.

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
No. This was the third interview where the interviewer didn't bother asking me to desmonstrate any troubleshooting steps. We didn't do any role playing. No questions regarding empathy.

He asked me about my background (which is tech and customer service). He asked what I'm doing now (tech and customer service). He asked why I would be a good fit for Apple (so I elaborated on the tech/customer service part). He asked about the last time I was coached (we're not). He asked about the last time I went above and beyond for a customer (I told him a great story, and how the customer was very happy with my help). He asked what I would do if a friend had an old pc that wouldn't turn on (only so many things you can do there).

I expected more troubleshooting questions or more customer questions or role play. But no. That was it.

He bluntly said, "Any questions?" I said, "Are you able to tell me if I'll be moving forward?" He said, "I'll have to foward my information to a recruiter and it's up to them. But we'll let you know either way." That's when I heard the "needle scratching across the record."

Hmmm, I hate to hear that.
I'd reapply and see what happens.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010

How confusing. I'd like to know what exactly they are looking for. I do know a lot of people on this thread with all the certifications and heavy tech background have been denied. It old my final interviewer that I have customer service experience as I've been in real estate and property management for the last 5 years. I also told him the only tech support I have is from my personal life and troubleshooting friends Apple products. I was asked the what would you tell a friend to do when they wake up and their computer won't turn on, what does ram do, what would you do if someone could not connect to the Internet? That was about it. Also asked about a time when I was coached and I took it upon myself to talk about difficult customers and how I overcame them etc.

KendraPlanet

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Hmmm, I hate to hear that.
I'd reapply and see what happens.

What I really want to do is respond and advise the (2nd) recruiter that despite the fact that she told me to prepare to demonstrate my technical skills and (more importantly) my customer service/empathy skills -- I was not given the opportunity to demonstrate either.

I guess after I'd send something like that I could forget reapplying/ever being considered, but I'm sooo ticked at how this whole thing was handled.

I work tech support already. I go above and beyond for people all the time and customers are constantly praising me (I never talk down to people, I help newbies and techies alike and treat them all with kindness and respect -and my first call resolution is very high).

----------

Also asked about a time when I was coached and I took it upon myself to talk about difficult customers and how I overcame them etc.

Yeah, so I wasn't just saying "We're not coached" I told him about how our call flow "script" had changed and how we were coached on that as a group and how the changes really made a positive difference.

Last edited:

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
What I really want to do is respond and advise the (2nd) recruiter that despite the fact that she told me to prepare to demonstrate my technical skills and (more importantly) my customer service/empathy skills -- I was not given the opportunity to demonstrate either.

I guess after I'd send something like that I could forget reapplying/ever being considered, but I'm sooo ticked at how this whole thing was handled.

I work tech support already. I go above and beyond for people all the time and customers are constantly praising me (I never talk down to people, I help newbies and techies alike and treat them all with kindness and respect -and my first call resolution is very high).

----------

Yeah, so I wasn't just saying "We're not coached" I told him about how our call flow "script" had changed and how we were coached on that as a group and how the changes really made a positive difference.

I wasn't assuming you said that, just mentioned the questions I was asked and for some reason a lot of people with tech background aren't being chosen :( odd.

KendraPlanet

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I wasn't assuming you said that, just mentioned the questions I was asked and for some reason a lot of people with tech background aren't being chosen :( odd.

No, I know. LOL Hard to convey in print.

I know a lot of people would've just said, "We aren't coached." and leave an awkward silence.

I'm not ticked off that I wasn't considered. I'm ticked off that they let his drone on for so long and then told me no. I applied Aug 24th and my first response from them (the essay questions) was a week later. I would've rather been cut from the get-go ("Oh -- she's done tech stuff for years. She's not what we're looking for").

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
No, I know. LOL Hard to convey in print.

I know a lot of people would've just said, "We aren't coached." and leave an awkward silence.

I'm not ticked off that I wasn't considered. I'm ticked off that they let his drone on for so long and then told me no. I applied Aug 24th and my first response from them (the essay questions) was a week later. I would've rather been cut from the get-go ("Oh -- she's done tech stuff for years. She's not what we're looking for").

I agree 100%. The interview process is flawed. You should respond to the email. Talk with the recruiter THEN talk to the final manager and skip the second step. You know damn well the final interview makes or breaks you. "we don't do the hiring". BS. It's not up to the recruiter.

Echo388

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
Coached?

What email?

The interviewer asked about being coached, but all he said was "Tell me about the last time you were coached." Well, we're not coached. Ever. And yeah, I work a work-at-home "call center" job. We're sent stats from time to time but we're never coached. Strange, huh? All my studying for this interview and that question completely caught me off guard.

I told the interviewer we're not really coached, and so I had something to offer in the form of an answer, I told him about a time we were "coached" as a group on call process changes and how that really made a positive difference in call flow overall. Good answer, right? Well maybe not.

Soooo ... heads up to anyone else being asked this question.

Guess I've been out of the loop for awhile...what exactly do they mean by 'coached'? Training? Retraining? Remedial training? What?

KendraPlanet

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Guess I've been out of the loop for awhile...what exactly do they mean by 'coached'? Training? Retraining? Remedial training? What?

During the interview, I took it to mean coached as in "how to do your job better." We had coaches when I was a Tier 1, but not as a Tier 2. As a Tier 2, you get emailed feedback on call stats and metrics, but no coaching.

What I think the interviewer was asking me (and I didn't realize it until later upon reading this thread), was, "How do you handle constructive criticism?"

If that's what he was asking, he should've just asked that. I can't offer a specific answer to a vague (or veiled) question.

Echo388

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2012
During the interview, I took it to mean coached as in "how to do your job better." We had coaches when I was a Tier 1, but not as a Tier 2. As a Tier 2, you get emailed feedback on call stats and metrics, but no coaching.

What I think the interviewer was asking me (and I didn't realize it until later upon reading this thread), was, "How do you handle constructive criticism?"

If that's what he was asking, he should've just asked that. I can't offer a specific answer to a vague (or veiled) question.

Ok, thanks. I understand and I too would have been a bit confused by the question. I guess I'm not too hip on the latest buzz words and corporate speak. :eek:

koolaid-drinker

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Kingsport,Tn
I knew what he meant by coached only because I worked at a call center for 2.5 years.

So, I gave them one example of where my manager gave me feedback and I took it and ran with it.

He seemed to be pleased/satisfied with it.

My advice would be that if you don't understand the question, ask them to rephrase it for you.

I have done that plenty of times during job interviews.

famous600

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
I knew what he meant by coached only because I worked at a call center for 2.5 years.

So, I gave them one example of where my manager gave me feedback and I took it and ran with it.

He seemed to be pleased/satisfied with it.

My advice would be that if you don't understand the question, ask them to rephrase it for you.

I have done that plenty of times during job interviews.

And now we wait.

VA-Enthusiast

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
What email?

I just had my interview a few hours ago. I'm normally a very optimistic person, but based on how the interview seemed to go (despite the fact that I feel I did well), I'm expecting a rejection email, and now I'm second-guessing stuff I said during the phone call (aaaack!)

The interviewer asked about being coached, but all he said was "Tell me about the last time you were coached." Well, we're not coached. Ever. And yeah, I work a work-at-home "call center" job. We're sent stats from time to time but we're never coached. Strange, huh? All my studying for this interview and that question completely caught me off guard.

I told the interviewer we're not really coached, and so I had something to offer in the form of an answer, I told him about a time we were "coached" as a group on call process changes and how that really made a positive difference in call flow overall. Good answer, right? Well maybe not.

It wasn't until I came back here and read a few more threads that I realized what he was really asking is how I handle constructive criticism. I wish he would've asked that specifically -- because my answer sure didn't reflect what he was asking, and I would've gladly answered that constructive criticism is actually a good thing, shouldn't be taken personally, and should be seen as a way to help oneself improve.

Soooo ... heads up to anyone else being asked this question.

As it relates to the coaching probe, I think your answer was quite on point. I've taken some graduate mentoring and coaching courses. So I went back into my notes and this is what I pulled out:

Cameron Powell of Feroce Coaching cleverly explained the difference between mentoring and coaching using this analogy:

Let’s say you wanted to learn to drive a car. If you hired a:

Mentor, the mentor would share her experiences of driving cars and the wisdom and lessons she had learned in her more rich experience with the matter.

Coach, the coach would seat you in the car, place himself in the passenger seat, and encourage, endorse, acknowledge and support you until you felt comfortable enough to go it alone.

mzfreshface

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Soooo...yesterday, I decided to call a recruiter(who invited me to call if I had any questions) to actually see if I could get some insight on how long it generally takes after BGC to get an offer...gave him my BGC completion date of 10/3..I was told it's still early and to give it at least until Tuesday....so still I wait...but in the midst of all the waiting, to relieve this anxiety/excitement/stress, I'll go play some MW3!! LOL!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.