Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
How about this - I think the assumption of guilt is BS.

It is not about the commute being longer for me. It is about what I feel is an assumption of guilt and a violation of my civil liberties through an illegal search - weather they are during the day or night. I know it doesn't change the current legality of it, but I disagree with the court on this.

It's not an illegal search.
I've never had my car searched at any roadblock.
I was pulled over once b the cops in Las Vegas, walking back from a gig I had just done sound for.
I had a shaved head at the time, and looked pretty nasty I guess.
They checked my drivers license, and sent me on my way.
They were totally cool. Didn't give me a hard time.
It's just I was in a neighborhood with lots of gang activity.

Didn't piss me off. They were doing their job.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
You're wrong. Again you're just spewing BS assumptions. Some of us want this App to avoid being harassed and delayed in our commute as well as our rights to avoid being entrapped by local authorities.

Don't do anything that would warrant "suspicion" and you won't be "harassed" then >>

Since when does a minor delay equal "being entrapped because you were driving in such a manor that raised an alarm"?

Jeesh.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Unfortunately.
Tell it to the 6 year old girl shot to death by her brother who got hold of one of 52 guns his dad had at the house, this week.

Typical BS - blame the gun and not the owner for not being responsible.

Your self-righteousness is appalling.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Typical BS - blame the gun and not the owner for not being responsible.

Your self-righteousness is appalling.
Tell em what's Bs?
The fact tha the girl was killed.
Or the fact that sub moronic dad felt he needed to have 52 guns in a household with kids?

I'm not blaming the gun.
I'm blaming the lax attitude towards gun ownership.
I didn't say anyone couldn't own a gun.

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
Public notification is REQUIRED by the courts. Perhaps Democratic representatives sending letters should get more familiar with reality and DUE PROCESS before they try and shut up people with threats.

Having WON every ticket I've gotten over the past 15 years, obviously I have been targeted fraudulently to get those tickets. They give tickets just to give tickets and bet that most will stick because most people will just conform and pay them. I am not impressed with "Law Enforcement's" harassment of the average citizen in order to shake them down for money for the cities. We should absolutely be able to know where "Law Enforcement" runs operations in order to protect ourselves and our families. Any operation of Law Enforcement is potentially dangerous and can elicit criminal reaction and you don't want to be there when a gun battle or a blockade run starts happening because the wrong guy got stopped.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
I do find it somewhat entertaining, that someone living in a City known for it's high crime rate. And a state that has a city that has the highest crime rate in the US, east st. Louis., defending gun rights.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
What is their probable cause, you driving a car?

You're not going to win. Henchman apparently subscribes to the "it's OK for the government to erode and the police to trample on your rights" theory.

Blame everything but the individual and make misguided laws to protect everyone from themselves.

Look, driving while intoxicated is wrong and it is a tragedy when someone is injured or killed due to someone else's stupidity, but an app to avoid checkpoints does NOTHING to increase or affect the problem in ANY way. All it does is put everyone in situations where the police can do what they want since they now have - according to the courts at least - probable cause.

As mentioned before, if the government really wanted to do anything about drunk driving, every car would have a breathalyzer in it - and even then it wouldn't be foolproof.

Irresponsible people will behave irresponsibly. What do you propose we do about that?

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
Unfortunately.
Tell it to the 6 year old girl shot to death by her brother who got hold of one of 52 guns his dad had at the house, this week.

You stated that people should have to pass an IQ test to get a gun license. Tell me how the father being smart (i.e., passing an IQ test) would have kept him from doing something stupid like leaving guns accessible to kids.

People do stupid things. People text while driving, but we don't ban texting apps. People smoke even though we know it causes cancer, but we don't ban smoking. People drive drunk, but we don't ban alcohol.

All of the freedom we enjoy in this country comes with responsibility. People who abuse that responsibility should be punished accordingly. People who take their responsibility seriously should not be punished by policies that cannot magically infuse responsibility in the irresponsible.

An IQ test to get a gun license will not keep a gun owner from accidentally shooting someone. Banning an app that identifies DUI checkpoints will not keep a drunk from getting behind the wheel.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
I'm not blaming the gun.
I'm blaming the lax attitude towards gun ownership.
I didn't say anyone couldn't own a gun.

Unfortunately.

Sounds like you are against gun ownership to me. Sounds like you are blaming the gun.

Sounds like you have been trapped by your own words.

All of the freedom we enjoy in this country comes with responsibility. People who abuse that responsibility should be punished accordingly. People who take their responsibility seriously should not be punished by policies that cannot magically infuse responsibility in the irresponsible.

An IQ test to get a gun license will not keep a gun owner from accidentally shooting someone. Banning an app that identifies DUI checkpoints will not keep a drunk from getting behind the wheel.

FINALLY - someone who gets it!

Sined

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Public notification is REQUIRED by the courts. Perhaps Democratic representatives sending letters should get more familiar with reality and DUE PROCESS before they try and shut up people with threats.

Having WON every ticket I've gotten over the past 15 years, obviously I have been targeted fraudulently to get those tickets. They give tickets just to give tickets and bet that most will stick because most people will just conform and pay them. I am not impressed with "Law Enforcement's" harassment of the average citizen in order to shake them down for money for the cities. We should absolutely be able to know where "Law Enforcement" runs operations in order to protect ourselves and our families. Any operation of Law Enforcement is potentially dangerous and can elicit criminal reaction and you don't want to be there when a gun battle or a blockade run starts happening because the wrong guy got stopped.

**** public notification.

The purpose of checkpoints is to remove drivers under the influence from off the roads so that they don't take lives or cause accidents. Letting them know beforehand where they are is counterproductive.

Sined

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011

But it could keep him from getting caught before causing any irreparable damage!

Lord Bodak

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2003
Chesapeake, VA USA
But it could keep him from getting caught before causing any irreparable damage!

Installing breathalyzers in every car could prevent that too. So could banning alcohol. But we know that the general public would consider these to be unreasonable restrictions, so these things don't happen. Short of the extreme solutions, every individual has their own opinion of what's reasonable or not.

Saying "it could keep him from hurting someone" is basically the same line of thinking as the "if it saves one life." Pretty much every time someone says "if it saves one life, I'd be in favor of _______", that person is suggesting something that is a limitation on freedom.

Sined

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Installing breathalyzers in every car could prevent that too. So could banning alcohol. But we know that the general public would consider these to be unreasonable restrictions, so these things don't happen. Short of the extreme solutions, every individual has their own opinion of what's reasonable or not.

Saying "it could keep him from hurting someone" is basically the same line of thinking as the "if it saves one life." Pretty much every time someone says "if it saves one life, I'd be in favor of _______", that person is suggesting something that is a limitation on freedom.

I think a checkpoint here and there everyone and a while is reasonable. It is a far cry from the Orwellian delusion most people have of this relatively lax enforcement.

All in moderation, drinking and policing included.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
No, I'm not full f crap. Last checkpoint I went through was in Studio City on Ventura Blvd. Less than 5 mins.

So you called into work, telling them you we stuck at a checkpoint, and they wrote you up?

Welcome to the real world. Do you know how many excuses bosses hear all day from people.

**** public notification.

The purpose of checkpoints is to remove drivers under the influence from off the roads so that they don't take lives or cause accidents. Letting them know beforehand where they are is counterproductive.

How. I still don't see anyone giving reason why its better other than its better. Many people against the checkpoints have given well thought out responses. Check points fail because the goal is entrapment. Checkpoints give Cops carte blanche to do what they want. "DUI" Checkpoints turn into pots of gold at the end of the rainbow because they will ticket you for anything without real probably cause.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Of course it is.
Because that's when most people are out drinking and driving.

Most? Perhaps. But definitely not all. So why isn't saving the lives of people out and about during the daytime just as important? Bars can legally open at 6am in California.

It's all done just for appearances. If people really wanted to save lives than the cops should be outside every bar parking lot watching how people drive when they leave. Setting up shop one night on one street won't even catch a small fraction of the people who could be driving through the city drunk. That's way too limited. Unless of course the town is so small there is only one street through town. But I don't think that is what is being discussed here.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Set up checkpoints to dissuade people, from driving drunk.

If the possibility of life in jail or even the death penalty doesn't deter people from committing crimes worthy of those punishments, do you really think a stupid checkpoint will do ANYTHING to deter drunk driving?

When does personal responsibility come into play? These checkpoints do absolutely nothing to deter drunk driving. Nothing.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
If the possibility of life in jail or even the death penalty doesn't deter people from committing crimes worthy of those punishments, do you really think a stupid checkpoint will do ANYTHING to deter drunk driving?

When does personal responsibility come into play? These checkpoints do absolutely nothing to deter drunk driving. Nothing.

So your solution is to do nothing.

I love how people like to pull out the amendments because they want to break the law, and away with it.
well, here's the deal.
Go out.
Drink.
Drive home.
Get caught at a checkpoint.
Go to jail.

Good riddance, hope it was worth it.
You had the freedom of choice.
You made a bad choice, and get the face the consequences.

Your rights don't give you the freedom to endanger the innocent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.