Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
Totally agree. Apple can do whatever it wants to (within the laws). It's a private company. If law enforcement wants information on users, law enforcement needs to go through the legal system to get it (subpeona, etc). The issue is Apple caving to extra legal requests.

In this situation, the senators don't like posting of DUI checkpoints (even though various states require public posting of it). They have 2 choices. Pass a law, or lean on companies to do it for them.

Pass a law. They haven't even bothered to go down this path. I could be wrong, but I don't think anyone disagrees with this. It conflicts with the free speech amendment. They know it will be overturned.

Lean on Apple. Apple says "Yassuh massa" and removes apps that have user posted DUI checkpoints. There's no legal basis behind the request. Just a bug up some senator's you know what.

Thus, restricted free speech with no law to overturn. The chilling effect here is "Why should I spend 100k on developing an app if some senator can get it removed because he doesn't like it." Today DUI checkpoints. Tomorrow your favorite religion, etc.

Thank you for a eloquent summary of the issue!

It's NOT a constitutional issue, it's WORSE, because the government (with Apple's assistance) is suppressing free speech in a way that CAN'T be challenged in court!

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
So your solution is to do nothing.

...and your solution is to do something that LOOKS like it does something, but in fact is only for appearances.

From Wiki - emphasis mine

"There is a dearth of research regarding the deterrent effect of checkpoints. The only formally documented research regarding deterrence is a survey of Maryland's "Checkpoint Strikeforce" program. The survey found no deterrent effect: "To date, there is no evidence to indicate that this campaign, which involves a number of sobriety checkpoints and media activities to promote these efforts, has had any impact on public perceptions, driver behaviors, or alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes and injuries. This conclusion is drawn after examining statistics for alcohol-related crashes, police citations for impaired driving, and public perceptions of alcohol-impaired driving risk."

Actual study. Not hyperbole or conjecture. Fact.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
...and your solution is to do something that LOOKS like it does something, but in fact is only for appearances.

From Wiki - emphasis mine

"There is a dearth of research regarding the deterrent effect of checkpoints. The only formally documented research regarding deterrence is a survey of Maryland's "Checkpoint Strikeforce" program. The survey found no deterrent effect: "To date, there is no evidence to indicate that this campaign, which involves a number of sobriety checkpoints and media activities to promote these efforts, has had any impact on public perceptions, driver behaviors, or alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes and injuries. This conclusion is drawn after examining statistics for alcohol-related crashes, police citations for impaired driving, and public perceptions of alcohol-impaired driving risk."

Actual study. Not hyperbole or conjecture. Fact.

Which link would that be?

My link says the exact opposite:

http://www.madd.ca/english/news/stories/n05sep29.htm

support for sobriety checkpoints jumped from 79 percent in 1993 to 83 percent in 2000 to 87 percent in 2005. Research proves that general deterrence law enforcement strategies, like checkpoints, are one of the most effective ways to stop drunk driving.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Which link would that be?

My link says the exact opposite:

http://www.madd.ca/english/news/stories/n05sep29.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_checkpoint#Effectiveness

I guess we can both throw out links and will find evidence to support our arguments. No offense is meant by my opposition to your point of view.

You and I will not agree on this, so in order to keep it civil I won't go any further. I understand and respect your opinion, but disagree with the effectiveness of checkpoints.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004

I guess we can both throw out links and will find evidence to support our arguments. No offense is meant by my opposition to your point of view.

You and I will not agree on this, so in order to keep it civil I won't go any further. I understand and respect your opinion, but disagree with the effectiveness of checkpoints.

This is from the link you provided:

[edit]Effectiveness
The Centers for Disease Control, in a 2002 Traffic Injury Prevention report, found that in general, the number of alcohol related crashes was reduced by 20% in states that implement sobriety checkpoints compared to those that do not.[13]
Public Health Law Research[14], an independent organization, reported in a 2009 evidence brief summarizing the research assessing the effect of a specific law or policy on public health, that there is strong evidence supporting the effectiveness of selective breath testing sobriety checkpoints as a public health intervention aimed at reducing the harms associated with alcohol impaired driving.

Thank you in helping prove my point.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
It has been for me.
And I've been working since I was 16.
32 years.

You're a pretty immature and irrational 32 year old. Looks like you should have focused more on becoming an adult as a 16 year old instead of a delusional adult who assumes and judges people based on their political and moral opinions. I sure hope you weren't chastising that dmac kid in this thread because then you would also be a hypocrite.

BTW: The wikipedia link you posted, the sources are either, out dated, provide no direct information based on the topic, or have no link at all and are just cited quotes.

http://www.therightscoop.com/cops-break-car-window-at-dui-checkpoint/
This is why DUI Check points are entrapment.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/04/sobriety_checkpoints_dont_work.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/sunmessenger/2010/10/south_euclid_sobriety_checkpoi_1.html
This article states that out of 3 check points they only netted 1 DUI. Sounds like patrolling is still better.

Last edited:

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
You're a pretty immature and irrational 32 year old. Looks like you should have focused more on becoming an adult as a 16 year old instead of a delusional adult who assumes and judges people based on their political and moral opinions. I sure hope you weren't chastising that dmac kid in this thread because then you would also be a hypocrite.

BTW: The wikipedia link you posted, the sources are either, out dated, provide no direct information based on the topic, or have no link at all and are just cited quotes.

http://www.therightscoop.com/cops-break-car-window-at-dui-checkpoint/
This is why DUI Check points are entrapment.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2009/04/sobriety_checkpoints_dont_work.html

http://blog.cleveland.com/sunmessenger/2010/10/south_euclid_sobriety_checkpoi_1.html
This article states that out of 3 check points they only netted 1 DUI. Sounds like patrolling is still better.

First that link was posted originally nit by be.
Furthermore 16+32= 48

And who's the immature person here?
I bet everyone here has gone out and more than once driven home after drinking too much.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
And if you are one with a reputation of integrity, they will believe you...such has been my experiences with the "real world"

Not my experience. If you are scheduled to close a store and you are the only manager on duty due in at 10PM and you get in at 10:30PM because of a check point, the GM is going to be pissed because someone had to stay over time.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Not my experience. If you are scheduled to close a store and you are the only manager on duty due in at 10PM and you get in at 10:30PM because of a check point, the GM is going to be pissed because someone had to stay over time.
So the Real World = your perception of it, rather than those other two peoples' perceptions of it?

In my real world people speak with a Scottish accent. I assume they do where you are too...

HKZ/MST3K

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Set up checkpoints to dissuade people, from driving drunk.

And cameras stop 7-11 holdups, silent alarms stop bank robberies, no smoking signs stop people from smoking in that area, yadda yadda yadda. You are an ignorant troll, a hardheaded self-righteous person who thinks simple rule written on a piece of paper will deter wrongdoing. News flash, it doesn't. The Supreme Court has made a ruling that cops can legally murder you in your home if they want, this means they have no basis in reality and their rulings should be challenged. I suppose that if you tell a person that there is a law against speeding they won't speed? Get real, the world isn't black and white and laws aren't always factually and logically correct. The fact that you put your head in the sand, or stick your fingers in your ears doesn't mean reality isn't out there. Drunks will drive as long as there isn't sufficient punishment for it, and the reality is there isn't. The local police blotter around here tells me all I need to know about DUI punishments. Laws don't prevent crime, never have and never will. An individual is in control of his actions, police deterrent won't stop someone from driving drunk because, another news flash, they are impaired mentally. You can choose to ignore that not all laws and rulings are just and just live with the fact that there are more to laws than right and wrong. Most often laws like this are there for political and monetary gain. You sir are a dreamer, a fantasy nut. The world doesn't stop doing wrong because someone says so, and the majority of the time those laws are great ideas, but terribly wrong when executed. This is one of those instances.

It's obvious you have no powers of deduction and reason. You simply take everything you are told at face value, and defend the erosion of your birthrights because it makes you feel good emotionally. In the year 2008 the rate of people killed driving drowsy was 34,172. The same year the number of people killed in a wreck where one party was above .08 BAC was 37,261. Neither studies mention the relative health of the parties involved in those wrecks so the data isn't entirely accurate. They also do not state the condition of the vehicle, the objects they might have hit in the accident, nor traffic conditions. While it is my example, they don't really tell the whole story, Not everyone is drunk at .08 but everyone suffers equally from being drowsy. What is your solution to this. Checkpoints to check your alertness?

You are an emotional straw man, and your feel good examples are anecdotal at best. Just because your cute little fuzzy bubble hasn't been popped doesn't mean everyone rides around in LaLa land, this threat is real and it's getting worse every day. Do me a favor, go to DC and try and take a picture of a Police officer in front of the White House, the occupants of which are under your direct charge, and see what happens. After you get your belongings confiscated, get harassed by a officer of the law and put on a watch list please explain to me how police authority isn't overstepping it bounds on a daily basis. You are not free in this country to travel wherever you want, whenever you want and we must fight this with every opportunity that presents itself. If I'm not allowed to take a picture of a static building, what does that say about the state of this country?

Last edited:

HKZ/MST3K

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
First that link was posted originally nit by be.
Furthermore 16+32= 48

And who's the immature person here?
I bet everyone here has gone out and more than once driven home after drinking too much.

An assumption, and as the saying goes, you're the *******. I don't drink, at all. How you came to the conclusion that everyone here has driven drunk, and more than once at that, shows your bias and your stupidity. Your arguments are rendered null and void after such a stupid and baseless assumption. It's amazing someone so hardheaded and self-righteous has lived to see 48, must be the medical advancements in the last 150 years. Your stupidity is astounding.

HKZ/MST3K

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Unfortunately.
Tell it to the 6 year old girl shot to death by her brother who got hold of one of 52 guns his dad had at the house, this week.

A residential swimming pool is statistically more dangerous than a firearm to children under 10 years old. Next excuse.

scoobydoo99

Cancelled
Mar 11, 2003
It's amazing someone so hardheaded and self-righteous has lived to see 48, must be the medical advancements in the last 150 years.

As this thread winds down and prepares to fall off the front page, I must thank you for making me truly LOL when I read that :D

It has certainly been a diverse discussion.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
A residential swimming pool is statistically more dangerous than a firearm to children under 10 years old. Next excuse.

Yeah. So many people accidentally get killed by residential pool.

I think your tinfoil needs replacing, mr. Anti gov.

moore2772

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2011
bummer

I don't even drink, but would very much like to know where the cops have set up a roadblock, so that I can save time and be on my merry way. I'm sure Apple was under a lot of pressure to remove those apps, but I wish I had gotten one, for the reason above.

JohnDoe98

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2009
As opposed to the 30000 gun related. Deaths.

Yeah it's pretty sick. We should seriously think about getting rid of them: pools, guns, alcohol, tobacco, etc. I mean we're not talking a single life anymore but quite a few!

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
Yeah it's pretty sick. We should seriously think about getting rid of them: pools, guns, alcohol, tobacco, etc. I mean we're not talking a single life anymore but quite a few!

I wonder how many people die every day from choking on food. Lets just not eat anymore. Its safer that way. Apple its time to remove the Yelp app it only encourages choking.

In fact while we are at it, lets remove YELP all together because it shows drunks where they can get booze.

fattire357

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Ugh, I'm pretty sure cardiovascular disease kills way more than any of these causes.

We should stop giving tax breaks to farmers to make corn which makes high fructose corn syrup and corn oil cheap, two things our diet needs less of. If you care a lot about the plight of farmers you can switch those tax breaks to vegetables. If healthy food was cheap and greasy food was more expensive.... guaranteed to save lives. we already have plenty of tax subsidies that mess with the free market system and change prices around, the problem is these tax subsidies are geared towards national defense (hence increased corn production that make us fat) and not towards promoting health as they should be. or you could just get rid of the farming subsidies that were designed for national defense but make us unhealthy, if you are a true free market economist. That would be better at least than what we have now.

henchman

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
~3500 people died in 2007 from drowning (non-boating related).

Also, this is a completely skewed number used to try and bolster your argument.

This statistic shows that in 2000, of the 3500 drowning deaths, only 567 occurred in pools.
Yet laws have been passed to require safety gates and other measures around home pools.

Try again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.