Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
The sender would obviously know if you received the iMessages or not. It shows a little "delivered" message at the bottom right when the recipient gets the iMessage. It's really quite obvious.

The bug causes the sender to receive the "delivered" message, but actually no message is delivered to the intended recipient at all. This means that it's not obvious at all to the sender that the recipient received nothing, since iMessage states the opposite (incorrectly).

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Suing over a software bug is stupid, there is nothing you can say to sway my opinion. Get angry? Yes. Switch platforms? Yes. Sue? No.

You do realize that this bug makes it "impossible" to switch platforms, and it only affects those who have already decided to switch platforms?

And what is your suggested method of escalating an issue between consumers and a corporation that has not been addressed in three years?

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Have you read any software EULA? There is no responsibility to the company.

Chances for a software EULA to hold up in court are slim to none. Especially one that clearly causes unacceptable troubles for the users.

DEMinSoCAL

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2005
I think that is hilarious.

----------

The sender would obviously know if you received the iMessages or not. It shows a little "delivered" message at the bottom right when the recipient gets the iMessage. It's really quite obvious.

It's really NOT quite obvious since when it happened to me, not a single iPhone user who messaged me knew that I wasn't getting them.

----------

It's been going on since 2011. That would be actually three years. ;)

----------

No. It says that there are other things in OS X and iOS that need priority for existing customers, not former ones.

You're delirious...Apple doesn't care any more about existing customers as former ones. they've made their 500% profit from both of you...

Macmoney

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2009
na
Apple fix this issue in 24 hours for my business phone....what the big deal..I bet the didn't even call for support...and I bet this is the type of user that agrees to the terms of service without actually reading it:rolleyes:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You know what, this whole "suing culture" is society's downfall.
Seriously, suing a company for undelivered messages? Get a grip.

Everybody's just after quick cash these days, hence this blame culture that has befallen us.
Better alternative at this point after years of Apple ignoring the issue and without any progress so far? And there you go, it's that simple (even if unfortunate).

----------

Apple fix this issue in 24 hours for my business phone....what the big deal..I bet the didn't even call for support...and I bet this is the type of user that agrees to the terms of service without actually reading it:rolleyes:
And plenty of reports overs the years and and even now that a lot of people can't get it resolved easily even after contacting Apple. So what now?

Sincci

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Finland
So people really think that Apple shouldn't do anything to their "former customers" who still might be using other Apple products even if they are not using iPhones anymore? Yeah, screw those guys, who cares if those people won't be buying any new Macs or iPads after being treated like garbage by Apple.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Geez it's right there in front of you in B/W. How difficult is this to comprehend. To turn off iMessage is simple. This lawsuit is just ridiculous and for the lazy crybabies who sue because they have to lift a finger or burn precious calories to use their brain.

https://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

If you’re a texter, you’ll love Messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Now they all come with iMessage, a service that’s an even better kind of texting. Because it’s free for you and anyone texting over Wi-Fi using an iOS device or Mac with iMessage. And it’s unlimited.* So say as much as you want.
It's fun to keep on ignoring the actual issue and comment about things that don't actually deal with it.

----------

So people really think that Apple shouldn't do anything to their "former customers" who still might be using other Apple products even if they are not using iPhones anymore? Yeah, screw those guys, who cares if those people won't be buying any new Macs or iPads after being treated like garbage by Apple.
Those who think that conveniently ignore the fact that this screws up current customers too who send messages to some who have changed phones thinking everything is fine (because Apple said they can figure out when to send iMessages and when to send SMS/MMS and the user doesn't need to worry about it) but their messages are never actually delivered. Quite convenient for those people to leave that out in their very thoughtful comments.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
While this may be an issue, it is not lawsuit worthy. If you knew a thing or two about contract law, you would realize the absurdity of this case.

The issue I have here is that people feel so ****ing entitled to a functioning service that if it fails, they feel they deserve monetary compensation. That is not only wrong, it is legally bulli*****. No one is forcing iMessage down your throat. No one is forcing an iPhone down your throat. YOU bought it. Your get what you paid for. Deal with it.

So, should the user (The iPhone user whose messages are not arriving at their recipient and the user who now uses and Android phone that is not getting messages, seek support at their Telco's? After all this is an SMS issues. No, they cannot as there is nothing wrong with their SMS services, Apples iMessage system is at fault. Its not the fault of the iPhone user, nor the Android user, nor the Telcos. That this issue arose is not the cause for a lawsuit, but its not being fixed. I doubt that those who wish to participate have their eagle eyes on some free cash.

----------

No, its a bug. Autodesk had a bug in Maya making it unusable on a Mac with certain ATI cards for 4 years. Did I sue Autodesk? No I switched to another program.

Apple had an OpenGL bug since the beginning of Mavericks that made one of my softwares really laggy. Did I sue? No. I filed bug reports (something I guarantee almost no one with this bug did) repeatedly and the problem got fixed.

Suing over something so silly is ridiculous. There is no spin you can make to justify it.

Fair enough comments, but SMS messaging between Telcos is being blocked by Apple system. I assume the resolvement is for those dudes that bought an Android phone, I can use Whatsapp, Viber, etc for those, and cease to use SMS which is not having any issues.

The isse is not the lawsuit, its the effect and time inaction is causing. Take the lawsuit as not a means to make money for a bug, but to get action. If Apple iMessage service was problematic, well thats the way it is, use it or not, at your risk, but the affected users are merely trying to use SMS, nothing to do with Apple or iMessage

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
I'm an old man and not an anything boy. Please point be to where I said I would be ok with it. I'm fact, if you read what I wrote, I said it is bad, petty, annoying and so on. My point, that you missed, is that none of that seems to me to be a "right" to sue, as it's just a limitation in their service. Intentional or not.

----------

Maybe it's a cultural difference, but the whole lawsuit thing seems over the top to me. I'd hope, if it was intentional, some bad press would do the trick.

Its not a limitation of Apple's service. The affected users are not using Apple, they are receiving texts via their Telco's SMS system, and via the Telco SMS system that the iPhone sender uses.
If the issue was Apple iMessage service, Apple users can turn it off, this thread is not about the ability of iMessage to operate, its about Apple servers that are NOT being used, are blocking Telco to Telco SMS

----------

Why the long standing problem of the iMessage not working after quitting Apple service is on all the sites now.
It had to be re-popularized for the lawsuit.
I hope the people lose.
PETTY PETTY PETTY.

Can't you read?? Its NOT about iMessage not working after quitting Apple service, its about iMessage WORKS after quitting Apples service, so when you send a text from an iPhone to an Android, Apple uses iMessage, so the recipient doesn't get the text. Its only a bug, but three years on, and still a bug. In effect your Telcos SMS (text) service is not allowed to operate as Apple is a roadblock in the middle, even though Apples service is not in use

----------

Despite what might or might not be in that, a company is on the hook for issues it creates and ignores. Can't excuse yourself from negligence through some agreement.

To expand on this, be interesting to look at the Telcos EULA, I am sure there will be something about not interfering with the Telco's services, SMS being one of them. This is exactly what this issue it. Its nothing to do with iMessage, its Apple affecting Telco to Telco SMS

----------

For those that are interested, you can read the actual filed complaint here >> http://www.scribd.com/doc/224611176/IMessage-Complaint

I copied below the pertinent comment. I wish people would stop talking about an iMessage fault, the issue is Telco to Telco SMS (nothing to do with Apple or iMessage) is affected by Apple iMessage servers. The key below is that Apple affected the ability of Telco customers to use the Telco provided SMS (text) service.

Unbeknownst to Plaintiff and the putative class members,however,once they switched from anAppleiPhoneoriPadto a non-Apple device for their wireless serviceneeds
, Apple’s iMessages
and Message service andapplication still retained text messages thatwere directed at thesepersons from other Apple users,and failed to deliver these text messagestothe putative class members aslong as theseputative class memberscontinued using a non-Appledevice. In this manner, Apple tortiously interferedwiththe contract for cellular service betweenthese putative class members and their cellular telephone carrier in thatApple
’
s actionspreventedthe subscribers fromreceiving all of their text messages,as they were entitled to obtain throughtheircellularwirelessservicecontracts.

----------

Uh, there are other things that people need to use iOS and OSX for besides messages that Apple needs to put a priority to. And hey, watch your tone. It's just a discussion here, you insulting me starts to tell me things about you. I have not posted an insult or a put-down towards you, so remain civil or look for someone else to throw your petty insults towards.

Priority. Who decides that? What is your priority is not others priority.

I don't feel there is a need to fix iMessage, as iMessage is not at fault. Aside from the occasional server issue, iMessage seems to work well. This thread is not about an iMessage operational bug for Apple users who choose to use iMessage, its about the inability of two individuals to send a text message from one telco to another telco. And whose users do not use iMessage.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
Its not a limitation of Apple's service. The affected users are not using Apple, they are receiving texts via their Telco's SMS system, and via the Telco SMS system that the iPhone sender uses.
If the issue was Apple iMessage service, Apple users can turn it off, this thread is not about the ability of iMessage to operate, its about Apple servers that are NOT being used, are blocking Telco to Telco SMS

----------

Can't you read?? Its NOT about iMessage not working after quitting Apple service, its about iMessage WORKS after quitting Apples service, so when you send a text from an iPhone to an Android, Apple uses iMessage, so the recipient doesn't get the text. Its only a bug, but three years on, and still a bug. In effect your Telcos SMS (text) service is not allowed to operate as Apple is a roadblock in the middle, even though Apples service is not in use

----------

To expand on this, be interesting to look at the Telcos EULA, I am sure there will be something about not interfering with the Telco's services, SMS being one of them. This is exactly what this issue it. Its nothing to do with iMessage, its Apple affecting Telco to Telco SMS

----------

I copied below the pertinent comment. I wish people would stop talking about an iMessage fault, the issue is Telco to Telco SMS (nothing to do with Apple or iMessage) is affected by Apple iMessage servers. The key below is that Apple affected the ability of Telco customers to use the Telco provided SMS (text) service.

Unbeknownst to Plaintiff and the putative class members,however,once they switched from anAppleiPhoneoriPadto a non-Apple device for their wireless serviceneeds
, Apple’s iMessages
and Message service andapplication still retained text messages thatwere directed at thesepersons from other Apple users,and failed to deliver these text messagestothe putative class members aslong as theseputative class memberscontinued using a non-Appledevice. In this manner, Apple tortiously interferedwiththe contract for cellular service betweenthese putative class members and their cellular telephone carrier in thatApple
’
s actionspreventedthe subscribers fromreceiving all of their text messages,as they were entitled to obtain throughtheircellularwirelessservicecontracts.

----------

Priority. Who decides that? What is your priority is not others priority.

I don't feel there is a need to fix iMessage, as iMessage is not at fault. Aside from the occasional server issue, iMessage seems to work well. This thread is not about an iMessage operational bug for Apple users who choose to use iMessage, its about the inability of two individuals to send a text message from one telco to another telco. And whose users do not use iMessage.

Apple is not blocking anything. If the sender sends as an SMS, the SMS goes through.

tdale

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2013
Christchurch, N.Z.
Geez it's right there in front of you in B/W. How difficult is this to comprehend. To turn off iMessage is simple. This lawsuit is just ridiculous and for the lazy crybabies who sue because they have to lift a finger or burn precious calories to use their brain.

https://www.apple.com/ios/messages/

If you’re a texter, you’ll love Messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Now they all come with iMessage, a service that’s an even better kind of texting. Because it’s free for you and anyone texting over Wi-Fi using an iOS device or Mac with iMessage. And it’s unlimited.* So say as much as you want.

Whats your point? That iMessage is ONLY for iOS devices? Yes, thats correct. So why does Apple allow you to send an iMessage to an Android phone? It does. The iMessage doesn't arrive, yet on your iPhone it shows as delivered.

So, we turn iMessage on and off depending on who we send to? When a person changes to an Android phone he/she needs to send a text to all contacts, so that those who use iPhones, or have or are changing to an iPhone will know to turn off iMessage if they wish to send you a message?

The fixes are as below.

1. Switch back to iPhone
2. Change cell number
3. Turn iMessage on and off depending who you send to, and get them to keep you up to date if they change from an iPhone
4. Apple removes iMessage from their range of services

Or Apple could fix the bug

----------

Apple is not blocking anything. If the sender sends as an SMS, the SMS goes through.

So why this thread? Im not turning off iMessage repeatedly to cater for switchers as Apple still sees them as iOS clients. I can certainly, as everyone should, set iMessage to send as SMS if iMessage fails, and if that works, this thread is irrelevant, but from what I gather (correct me if I am wrong) that doesnt work, or always work. The issues is that iMessage will work to send to an Android phone, so it won't fail, and send as SMS.

simplyunique

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2013
GA
As an ex apple employee working In tech support I can personally say this isn't user error! I got call after call about this issue! We could sometimes try to deactivate it on our in but that still sometimes won't even fix the issue.

We were often told to tell the caller to change their phone numbers to resolve the issue! How fair is that? Or the best response to tell them to contact all their contacts to remove the message thread and start new conversations or to make sure they had send as SMS turned on! People would get pissed! Especially when people had a lot of contacts it wasn't going to be a easy task to contact them all to ask them to check their settings! The only other option is to just wait 45 days and it should just fall out the system and fix the issue..

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The fact that Apple says they themselves can figure out when it's appropriate to send an iMessage or an SMS and then they incorrectly determine that for numbers that shouldn't have iMessage enabled anymore (and thus mislead the sender that they sent their message without any issues, and never actually deliver it to the recipient), well, that's a problem.

Last edited:

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
You do realize that this bug makes it "impossible" to switch platforms, and it only affects those who have already decided to switch platforms?

And what is your suggested method of escalating an issue between consumers and a corporation that has not been addressed in three years?

I know exactly what the bug is and Im curious how many people actually contacted Apple verses cry on a forum about it.

It's silly that you guys think suing is the answer. That's the American mindset for sure. Sue sue sue.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
I know exactly what the bug is and Im curious how many people actually contacted Apple verses cry on a forum about it.

It's silly that you guys think suing is the answer. That's the American mindset for sure. Sue sue sue.

It's beyond silly. It's the I'm entitled to money because I'm inconvenienced by text messaging whiners.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Plenty of people contacted Apple, some got the help they needed others didn't. The issue exists and has been there for a long time without a resolution and no real progress after all this time. So, while a lawsuits would be unfortunate for something like this, what's hour solution to get Apple to address it properly for everyone once an for all?

----------

It's beyond silly. It's the I'm entitled to money because I'm inconvenienced by text messaging whiners.
What's your solution as far as gettingn Apple to pay attention and finally address this issue after all these years?

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010

I'm not American. I'm Finnish.

What course of action do you the suggest in escalating this serious flaw that has gone neglected for three years? In Finland I would contact the Competition and Consumer Authority, but I'm assuming that this (or whatever the US equivalent is) has already been done.

----------

There is no mention of money in any of the articles regarding this matter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.