Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
You were never promised a fix and you shouldn't demand it. They provide fixes on their terms, not yours.

EULAs are bollocks and can never override my rights as a customer. They can write whatever they like in them, pretty much none of it is actually valid or enforceable.

Heltik

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
USA
Easy fix. Create a web-page that enables a user with this problem to submit a form to Apple with the previous iPhone's telephone number. Apple can then send a SMS with a link to disable iMessage to this number via the new telephone.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
WHY….. would anyone (with a brain) want to switch to ………. that :roll eyes

Ha... why don't you ask the millions who HAVE switched... Now that android has twice as many users as Apple...

Ask the millions who have switched??? Well, don't U ask them? R U keeping Tab on how many of "these people" are running to android? IF YOU are an Android user, then why are you here?

sinfonye

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
I dont have this issue as I have been a loyal fan since the begining. However, my experience is that when I send a message with imessage it will try to send it and if it cannot it tells me that it was sent a regular text message (SMS). So why does it not do that here? When it clearly realizes in the vast servers at Apple that a message is not delivered why does it not switch to SMS as it does for me? What am I missing here?

You probably have "send as SMS" enabled (not everyone does). Also, it's possible that the iMessage protocol doesn't check for message receipt, so the servers don't realise that the message hasn't been received. For example:

Apple device opens the connection
Apple device sends an imessage packet to Android device
Android device receives the packet and acknowledges it
Apple device closes the connection
Android device logs an error (unknown packet type)

The crucial step is not explicitly acknowledging that the *message* has been received by the other device.

This could indeed be tricky to fix.

Aetles

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2002
Sweden
The sheer number of people who lack the ability to comprehensively understand what they have read worries me. This is a simple issue, and yes, it is an issue for both current iPhone owners as well as past iPhone owners.

This. There is so many here who clearly has no clue to what the actual problem is.

They're saying "Stupid fools, if you switch to Android you can't receive iMessage!" but end up looking like fools themselves since they obviously didn't bother to read the article or cant understand what it says.

tpr007

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Hong Kong
While this may be an issue, it is not lawsuit worthy. If you knew a thing or two about contract law, you would realize the absurdity of this case.

It's lawsuit worthy because Apple have been made aware of the issue by a number of customers in various customers and haven't done enough to resolve it. Only by forcing them to do it will they get off their arrogant backsides and fix it properly.

It's also nothing to do with "contract law".

I support this action (for a change) and think sometimes Apple do need a kick up the backside.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
Why not post your cell number here? We can find all sorts of "hilarious" for you to have to deal with.:rolleyes:

Not quite sure how that's related to Apple's engineers subconsciously (accidentally, I'm sure, but still..) taking revenge on customers who jump ship.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yay frivolous lawsuits. :rolleyes:

Only in America.....
Hey what a totally original and completely useful comment that not only shows someone's understanding of the issues at hand but also hasn't been just pointlessly made a dozen of times already by similar people! :rolleyes:

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I went through this fiasco when I switched to Android a while ago. Took me a while to reset everything and get the messages back.

While I had deactivated iMessages in my iMac,MBpro, Phone etc.. the culprit was an iPad where it was still locked onto iMessage.

But Apple shouldn't make this hard. Probably not paying attention to this as this was about consumers who were switching away from Apple.

To quote Brian Tong from Apple Byte.. "Bad Apple"!

vtpmt81

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
I switched from the iPhone to the Moto X and it was seamless for me - I disabled iMessage and factory reset my iPhone before I sold it.

A couple of things.

1) All iPhone users need to have 'Send as SMS' checked.
2) If you have an iPhone - all contacts should be listed under 'Mobile' instead of 'iPhone'
3) Anyone switching or anyone that uses an iPhone and an Android/BB10WP7-8 device needs to have iMessage turned off before they remove their SIM card/switch phones
4) If you forget - call Apple and have them deactivate iMessage or log into https://appleid.apple.com/ and enter your Apple ID and password and then select Phone Numbers. Delete the phone number from your Apple ID account.

I have still seen a select few cases where this doesn't work. If it still doesn't work - you have to change your phone number. Apple should have fixed this issue a while back. It is inexcusable to still have this bug when it was identified over 2 years ago.

keterboy

Jan 22, 2014
Earth's Core
Actually it'd be a guaranteed win in the EU, since our courts routinely side with consumers over corporate interests. Oddly enough, I haven't heard of this bug here, but you can rest assured it wouldn't even need to go to court, as it's eight kinds of illegal already.

And no, this case is not retarded. Since Apple wants to use phone numbers (a regulated identifier) for their proprietary IM instead of Apple IDs, they have to make sure their implementation doesn't break the functionality of text messaging.

----------

EULAs are about as legally binding as soiled toilet paper, and this bug isn't on the phones of the people suing Apple, and therefore the EULA doesn't even apply to them. Rather, they are suing Apple because the iMessage system itself is defective and is breaking the functionality of SMS.

If US carriers had any backbone, they'd sue Apple themselves.

Read my reply at page 3, post #70. Cheers

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
the problem people are having is not stupid and no one is calling people stupid for complaining... The Lawsuit is stupid... why does anyone deserve monetary gain for this issue? everyone wants money for anything... and as others have pointed out, apple is not responsible for you discontinuing use of imessages and not notifying people trying to contact you. If i close my gmail account and open a new email account with yahoo, can i sue google when they dont forward my emails to my new email address?

a few years back a friend of mine who never had an iphone got a new phone (not an iphone) and for some reason my iphone decided to change the label for it to an iphone and started sending imessages... i just simply updated the contact and was able to start sending as text messages... do i deserve compensation? or does he? no....

at that points out what is even further stupid about this lawsuit, the person suing SHOULD be the people still sending messages as imessages incorrectly as it is their devices with the "Bug", but no this lawsuit is by someone who now has no connection to Apple and apple has no responsibility to forward messages for...

As technology gets more complex, people need to pay more attention to settings, i think everyone assumes devices should read their minds and know their preference...

But you can't tell all your current friends and future ones that when they add you as a contact they need to be sure to change your phone type as not being an iphone so that they can use standard non-apple technology to SMS you.

----------

Shouldn't the carriers play a part in this as well? They know before Apple if a user leaves iOS for Android.

Plus yeah this is annoying but don't think it's "lawsuit worthy". Sorry you know you're switching why don't you call Apple tech support and fix it yourself? Just another classic case of the lack of personal responsibly and the p**sification of Americans.

This is the point of the lawsuit. I like many others have called apple and told them I'm switching , there seems to be a problem that I can never receive text messages again if I ever had an iphone. They have no response or say you need to reboot your phone. Turning off iMessages does not fix the problem.

----------

I read through page 6 and didn't see ONE person mention doing what I suggested... The problem is the phone number association to iMessage which is why if you go and delete the phone number that's having the issue from your Apple ID and just for good measure "unregister" the defunct Apple device that was being used for iMessage and give the servers a little time to update, it resolves the issue. I myself had to do some hunting for this solution some months back and a little of it was trial and error but it does work. It would be nice if it just automatically updated when you no longer have the device but alas it doesn't.

Where do you delete your number from Apple ID? I know where it's in support profile, but it sounds like you are talking about a different thing here

vtpmt81

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Holding a company responsible for this non-problem is outrageous!

Perhaps someone here remembers the many years of BB-to-BB pin-based messaging -- you switch from BB, you no longer receive messages from other BB users. What's so hard to understand?

If you switch from a BlackBerry OS phone to another smartphone - BIS is disabled and you can SMS people with BlackBerry, WP, iPhones, Android, or feature phones. BB10 phones don't use BIS so this is a non issue on these phones. If you switch from a BB10 phone to an Android or iPhone you can still send SMS and download BlackBerry Messenger and send BBMs to people with BlackBerry phones.

BBM and SMS messaging are completely different so your comparison is incorrect.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Once again. You can't prove anything other than the fact that you have no proof.
Neither can you. Best that can be done now is to let the legal system to take care of it...although a better solution would be for Apple to actually fix it once and for all, and short of that for FTC and/or some similar agency get involved and push for a resolution so that there wouldn't be a need for a lawsuit like this to begin with.

Last edited:

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Once again. You can't prove anything other than the fact that you have no proof.

What are you talking about? It says right there in the EULA that local laws have precedence over it. Your local laws will also say, that as a consumer you can't waive your rights, no matter what the contract says.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Neither can you. Best that can be done is to let the legal system to take care of it...although a better solution would be for Apple to actually fix it once and for all, and short of that for FTC and/or some similar agency get involved and push for a resolution so that there wouldn't be a need for a lawsuit like this to begin with.

that would be best but they have had 3 years for that now however i think its time for a high profile trial regarding EULA. they have become far too invasive and the popular "nobody put a gun to your head" remarks are nonsensical and hopefully that people that take them as gospel will quiet.

Last edited:

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
Hey what a totally original and completely useful comment that not only shows someone's understanding of the issues at hand but also hasn't been just pointlessly made a dozen of times already by similar people! :rolleyes:

Well until stupid people stop trying to make a quick buck by suing for stupid reasons, it'll continue to be needed to be said.....

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Read my reply at page 3, post #70. Cheers

Your reply is, quite frankly, rubbish. It does not matter what drivel Apple puts in their EULA, nor does it matter that it is fairly obvious that there is no willful intent here.

What matters is that:
- The bug causes a huge inconvenience for users, and one that they can't even do anything about themselves.
- Apple has lots to gain by not fixing the bug.
- The bug is not fixed after three years of customer complaints.

----------

Well until stupid people stop trying to make a quick buck by suing for stupid reasons, it'll continue to be needed to be said.....

What quick buck? Has money been mentioned in any of the articles? At least I haven't seen one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.