Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Easy solution that Apple can implement:
When you have written the message you can hold the 'Send' button for 1 second and the option pops up 'Send as SMS'.
While something like that would be a nice addition, it doesn't actually resolve the underlying issue (just works around it at best, and even then requires those who send you something to do it, which you can't really rely on fully).

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto
What does this have to do with making phone calls? Oh this must be a Straw Man argument.

----------

You didn't answer the question. You just proved my point about "owning a phone number".

What is the difference from being prevented to do either one?

no feature should be affected just because you change phones! not text, not calls or not data!

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
You mean, Apple needs to fix this for their former customers?

No, Apple needs to fix this for their current customers. It's the current customer who tries to send a message to a former customer, and it's the current customer who thinks the message has been delivered when it's not.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Pfft, that's crazy talk! No way is this not Apple's fault!

;)

But you get what I'm saying. I can't fathom being mad at a company for not automatically rolling messages sent to their proprietary messaging platform over to another platform. This is totally a case where Apple made iMessage far too seamless for the masses. Everyone in my family, most of the people I work with, etc had no clue as to why some messages were green and some were blue. Even after explaining it and sending them Apple KB's on iMessage they often still seem oblivious.
What's not Apple's fault? The part where they keep on trying to send something as an iMessage to a number that no longer supports it? The part where they themselves chose to tie their iMessage functionality to regular (SMS/MMS) carrier messaging, thus essentially creating a path for these kinds of mixups? The very part that Apple controls, that's the part that's not Apple's fault?

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
This is a legit lawsuit. I recently switched to an Android device until iOS 8 is jailbroken so that I can purchase an iPhone 6 and I am missing text messages. People that I know have not paid attention when sending a message and it sends out as an iMessage. Apple is holding people by the balls and this issue is making it a huge headache for people to leave their mobile platform. If Apple's engineers can't find a solution to the problem then they need to change the way iMessage works. They need to make it so that iMessage needs to be activated with the sim card (in the background) once every few days. If the activation isn't done then they need to automatically REMOVE that phone number from their database for iMessages.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Since when does Apple have domain over your PHONE NUMBER, people? It doesn't matter if you are a former customer of Apple's or not. People cannot receive messages sent as TEXT, not as iMESSAGE - they are just forced to use the iMessage CLIENT to deliver the text. I have literally become dumber reading this thread.

Mockenrue

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2013
Everyone complains about lawsuits, but I suspect this issue will be fixed quickly now. Had the lawsuit and bad press happened in 2012, it probably would have been fixed then. Sad that it has to work that way...

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
This isn't a retarded lawsuit. This has gone on for a long time. My dad switched to Android and it took me forever before I could finally send him text messages. I don't even know how I was able to get it fixed.

I also think it is bogus that they don't know how to fix this. They probably just don't care that they are inconveniencing a former customer. It can't be that hard to report a phone number as deactivated in the imessage system and then just start sending text messages to it.

So what are your damages?

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
So if android prevented a person switching to iOS from making phone calls, would you be OK with that.

Im sorry that you ditched android, if you want to receive calls on your iOS device you will need to request a new number from your cell phone provider!!

How would that even be physically possible?

And yes, there are scenarios where a carrier (or former employer) keeps your number. You don't own the number; you just rent the use of the number.

This is similar to renting the use of electricity coming in from a power line or purchasing one of the stars in outer space.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
if iMessage is not peer to peer and each device does not have an encryption key unknown to Apple, they can fix it by redirecting ALL iMessages to SMS in their servers and pay a huge SMS bill. It's Apple's problem.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
As I've stated I have this problem right now. I wanted a larger screen so I got a LG G2. I can send SMS no problem but the iPhone on the other end still sends the response as a iMessage so I never receive it. What have I tired? Well I logged out of iMessage on my old iPhone, iPad, and my Macs. Note: logged out on the iPhone before I switched the SIM card, and it was connect to WiFi. Still doesn't work. At some point they will start working, had a friend that I couldn't receive messages for over a week. I have two family members that I still cannot receive SMS from. So ya its the users fault.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
How would that even be physically possible?

And yes, there are scenarios where a carrier (or former employer) keeps your number. You don't own the number; you just rent the use of the number.

This is similar to renting the use of electricity coming in from a power line or purchasing one of the stars in outer space.

Former employer aside, there are laws protecting the transfer of your number in the us
It cannot be held hostage and is freely transferable
You just have to keep the line active.

djstile

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I'm usually one to defend Apple, but even the most non-cynic MUST at least question how a bug manages to survive for three years in one of the world's largest tech companies which only affects customers after they switch to Apples largest competitor mobile operating system...

nad8e

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
Colorado
Since when does Apple have domain over your PHONE NUMBER, people? It doesn't matter if you are a former customer of Apple's or not. People cannot receive messages sent as TEXT, not as iMESSAGE - they are just forced to use the iMessage CLIENT to deliver the text. I have literally become dumber reading this thread.

Another comment that is just simply not true.

1) Since someone registered their phone number with Apple via iMessage based on all the fine print... Apple has domain to keep trying to send messages from other iMessage users.

2) Not true, the messages are sent as iMessage, not as a text message. If someone sends a TEXT message, it goes through the carrier, not through Apple. (Even with the iMessage app.)

3) No, any user can use another message client other than iMessage.

Next people are going to complain because they want their user@me.com or user@icloud.com email addresses to be able to work with gmail or yahoo mail.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
It's such a weird bug, i'm surprised it hasn't got something to do with the carriers, I would have thought that it would have a fallback if there was not ''delivered'' message for the iMessage on the other end.

I wouldn't have thought of doing a deregister of an iPhone before getting rid either.

Lets hope this apple doesn't have to split up the services as it's great to have it split but it should be a simple solution for apple to just have a unsubscribe feature on a website and then some kind of switch once a carrier registers a change of contract.

Why isn't the sim card doing some kind of OS check on the number and forwarding. Surely apple an implement that for iOS devices to then be opt in only if the sim see iOS for that number...?

mloffa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
As I've stated I have this problem right now. I wanted a larger screen so I got a LG G2. I can send SMS no problem but the iPhone on the other end still sends the response as a iMessage so I never receive it. What have I tired? Well I logged out of iMessage on my old iPhone, iPad, and my Macs. Note: logged out on the iPhone before I switched the SIM card, and it was connect to WiFi. Still doesn't work. At some point they will start working, had a friend that I couldn't receive messages for over a week. I have two family members that I still cannot receive SMS from. So ya its the users fault.

A work-around is that worked for me was have the person with the iPhone go into Settings - Messages - Send as SMS (enabled). Annoying to have all the people you talk to do this but it has worked for me.

Hurda

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2009
You mean, Apple needs to fix this for their former customers?
You mean, Apple needs to fix this for their current iPhone-users sending messages to now former iPhone-users, which they actually never receive because, instead of sending them as good old text-messages, they're being sent as iMessages?

And to the people suggesting to just send text-messages in the first place: Wasn't one of the advantages of iMessage that the device magically sends the message through the proper channel? Well, apparently not.

Last edited:

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Another comment that is just simply not true.

1) Since someone registered their phone number with Apple via iMessage based on all the fine print... Apple has domain to keep trying to send messages from other iMessage users.

2) Not true, the messages are sent as iMessage, not as a text message. If someone sends a TEXT message, it goes through the carrier, not through Apple. (Even with the iMessage app.)

3) No, any user can use another message client other than iMessage.

Next people are going to complain because they want their user@me.com or user@icloud.com email addresses to be able to work with gmail or yahoo mail.

Please, just stop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.