Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
What a waste. Superfluous spending with no benefit to the customer or stockholder.

:apple:

No, but the staff benefit. And if they're happier, the products will improve and the customers will be happy.

I'm fed up hearing about stockholders.

The company is making enough money to run and pay it's staff, run operations and make a nice profit, too. The customers are happy with the products. Yet the company can be seen to be "failing" because it's share price is low? It's madness.

Daws001

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
The States
Hrm. So if I marry an Apple employee who works at the campus, will they let me hang out there all day? Will they offer on-campus, spousal day care? Cause I would like to do that.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Will they be hosting WWDC on campus when they're done?

What I was wondering too when I first read the story, but upon reflection, Moscone West with just under 300,000 sq ft is already too small for WWDC, so I'd say the Spaceship Event Theater is out of the question for conventions the size of WWDC. But they'll obviously continue to do product announcements in-house.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Does anyone see this and wonder what will happen when the start downsizing?

If you think that way, then you would never expand.

Worst case, they either go back to the original campus or they make this their WHQ.

I'm shocked Apple's security hasn't been on the lookout for this and shot it down yet. I'm sure one of those guys has a rifle.

----------

What I was wondering too when I first read the story, but upon reflection, Moscone West with just under 300,000 sq ft is already too small for WWDC, so I'd say the Spaceship Event Theater is out of the question for conventions the size of WWDC. But they'll obviously continue to do product announcements in-house.

WWDC is probably going to remain held elsewhere: strictly for iOS and OSX. i see hardware announcements done inside here though.

----------

No, but the staff benefit. And if they're happier, the products will improve and the customers will be happy.

The company is making enough money to run and pay it's staff, run operations and make a nice profit, too. The customers are happy with the products. Yet the company can be seen to be "failing" because it's share price is low? It's madness.

Stockholders don't care as much about the now as the tomorrow. Clearly you aren't an investor.

When you take ownership of the company - you want to know how well the company will do in the future to increase your earnings. if the company is foolishly spending, then it does not look good for the company. When the company makes most of its money on one item vs the 1000s of others, it does not look good either.

GE is selling off divisions of its company because they aren't profitable or ranked the best. It doesn't make sense to do something if you aren't either one or both.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
What a waste. Superfluous spending with no benefit to the customer or stockholder.

It is a waste to have more staff in one location?

Right now Apple has to bus/shuttle staff between over 100 buildings in Cupertino, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Imagine the sort of products that theatre will see released. Products we couldn't even imagine right now.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
I wonder who's moving into this building and who's staying at One Infinite Loop? Which campus will the executive team be located at?

The Infinite Loop campus was built for Scully's team. Thus, my guess is that the current executive team will vacate it.

Does anyone see this and wonder what will happen when the start downsizing?

They lease dozens of other buildings in the Sunnyvale and Cupertino area. Some quite large. Those will get exhaled first when their massive expenses eventually need to get cut.

firewood

macrumors G3
Jul 29, 2003
Silicon Valley
With soldered RAM, really nice Android smartphones out there...

Those nice Android smartphones all have soldered RAM (or die stacked and sealed inside the processor package).

But office edifices tend to be a jinx. Apple profits took a dive soon after the Infinite Loop campus was finished. SGI went bankrupt a few years after they finished building the now-Googleplex.

SaraMac95014

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
Whether you're an Apple fan or not, it's hard to look at these progressive images without being just a little awe-struck.

WRONG!
It's easy to be impressed if you are short-sighted or a corporate shill.
If you live in the area you would not like the impact on traffic (they closed a five-lane road for chrissakes), the environment and the people who live in the area.

The construction project has caused problems that back onto Highway 280 and made that area a nightmare. It may go away when completed but who knows?

There are also tremendous environmental impacts.One example can be seen in the landscaping. The project is surrounded by a nice green lawn, however people in the area are being forced to reduce their water use because the state is in a drought.

I live in the area and don't know of a single person who supported this project, in spite of all the money Apple spent on PR.

...and you think they'll let you in to take a peek? That's funny.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

What's the size of the spaceship event theater?

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit

If you don't like stockholders, don't go public and make the corresponding money grab.

And PLEASE. Happier staff? Look at the amazing things done by shoestring startups (not to mention in Steve Jobs garage). This new building will only increase the sloth that is ever present at Apple.

:rolleyes:

haydn!

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2008
UK
:apple:

You could not be any more wrong.

In the original application, Apple noted that they currently occupy buildings across several different sites. Moving the majority of people into a central location cuts costs.

Also, as others have already said. The new campus will provide considerably better working environment, with it no doubt larger and even better equipped R&D facilities. Providing long term support to product development, therefore customer impacting and beneficial to shareholders.

On a more positive note, these videos really put into perspective how huge this building is going to be! The renderings were impressive but it's only when you see cranes and trucks on site you start to visualise it's true size!

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011

How do you know?

Look at the amazing things done by shoestring startups (not to mention in Steve Jobs garage). This new building will only increase the sloth that is ever present at Apple.

Apple isn't a startup.

It could be argued that Apple is reducing corporate sprawl and creating an integrated environment that will promote greater efficiency. That intent was articulated by Jobs and it certainly appears the campus is designed with that in mind.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
What's the size of the spaceship event theater?

According to the (adopted) Cupertino City Council Resolution #13-084, the planned 120,000 sq ft auditorium is scheduled to seat 1,000.

All recent WWDC conventions since the year after the introduction of the iPhone, have had attendance caps of around 5,200. Although the new theater could be made to work for a scaled-down keynote, conventions like WWDC obviously need tons of additional space for product demo events and mostly the countless weeklong workshops.

icerabbit

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2006
Horrible music.

And quite annoying video with all ongoing ffw, regular speed, slow motion, hyper panning, ...

Hey I've got these video effects, I need to use them all!!!

----------

WRONG!

There are also tremendous environmental impacts.One example can be seen in the landscaping. The project is surrounded by a nice green lawn, however people in the area are being forced to reduce their water use because the state is in a drought.

I live in the area and don't know of a single person who supported this project, in spite of all the money Apple spent on PR.

I need to use less water for landscaping and drought tolerant plants now too, let me blame Apple for the drop in the water table! and the drought!

LOL

The city and its representatives voted. The prestige continues. Apple pays a substantial amount of taxes.

Just wait it out a bit till the project finishes. It is always tough living next to a construction zone. Especially a huge one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.