Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheJae

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2008
HKG
What a waste. Superfluous spending with no benefit to the customer or stockholder.

:apple:

:cool: You know what Tim Cook said to people who made comment like yours? Like Carl Icahn? :apple: Take your money and go somewhere else.

Apple is a about creating user compelling experience first. :rolleyes: I don't expect amazing products to be created by a bunch of drones working their ass off in tiny office cubicles.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
I heard Samsung is making a new HQ, too!
It's in the shape of a big X on the ground.

I heard Apple has plans to build another O somewhere else on the planet though.
This will be the most expensive tic-tac-toe game ever :D

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What a waste. Superfluous spending with no benefit to the customer or stockholder

Apple is leasing offices all over Silicon Valley to provide enough space for their employees.

They outgrew 1 Infinite Loop long ago.

I bet you think renting is better than buying. Apple disagrees.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Will they be hosting WWDC on campus when they're done?

Nope.

WWDC a whole conference that occupies 300,000 sqft of Moscone West convention center.

Apple will have smaller gatherings at the auditorium of the new campus... but nothing the size of WWDC.

SactoGuy18

macrumors 601
Sep 11, 2006
Sacramento, CA USA
Apple will have smaller gatherings at the auditorium of the new campus... but nothing the size of WWDC.

Essentially, Apple plans to move all their product launch presentations to the new auditorium inside this new campus.

By the way, New Port Restaurant on Wolfe Road--a very popular place for dim sum and favorite place of mine whenever I visit my brother's family in Sunnyvale, CA--is very close to the new Apple campus. Expect the place to be even more busy once the new campus opens. :)

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Essentially, Apple plans to move all their product launch presentations to the new auditorium inside this new campus.

I guess it will depend on how many people they want to attend.

The Flint Center for the iPhone 6 announcement seated 2,400 people... and they had the hands-on area in the tent outside.

From my understanding... the new auditorium on campus will only seat 1,000... but they do have a fairly large exhibit space.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
No, but the staff benefit. And if they're happier, the products will improve and the customers will be happy.

I'm fed up hearing about stockholders.

The company is making enough money to run and pay it's staff, run operations and make a nice profit, too. The customers are happy with the products. Yet the company can be seen to be "failing" because it's share price is low? It's madness.

Right?! The stock holders are making tons of money off Apple right now. I want to know that my overpriced iPhone is made by happy engineers that love coming into work and designing the awesome stuff we're buying from them. Likewise, I like it when I have a car where the engineers love to talk about it.

WTF? Why wouldn't you want this? If you treat your employees like a cost center your products are going to speak the cries of their employees.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
Where is the exhaust port? It should be only 2 meters wide.

Building a circular building, you know how vulnerable the entire structure is to a single air evacuating explosive placed dead center of the campus is?

Same has been said about GCHQ in England.

----------

Right?! The stock holders are making tons of money off Apple right now. I want to know that my overpriced iPhone is made by happy engineers that love coming into work and designing the awesome stuff we're buying from them. Likewise, I like it when I have a car where the engineers love to talk about it.

WTF? Why wouldn't you want this? If you treat your employees like a cost center your products are going to speak the cries of their employees.

Buy Apple stock and join the party instead or bitching.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
According to the (adopted) Cupertino City Council Resolution #13-084, the planned 120,000 sq ft auditorium is scheduled to seat 1,000.

All recent WWDC conventions since the year after the introduction of the iPhone, have had attendance caps of around 5,200. Although the new theater could be made to work for a scaled-down keynote, conventions like WWDC obviously need tons of additional space for product demo events and mostly the countless weeklong workshops.

For the workshops though, they can use the other rooms on campus. But yeah, that auditorium won't cut it for the keynote.

Seems interesting it's so small. I thought it was supposed to be a room for all hands meetings... I thought this campus was going to have 20K employees in it? It's not really all hands if you only have 5% of the local employees present (ignoring Apple's 30K retail employees since I wouldn't expect them to be involved in a meeting that doesn't have something to do with retail.)

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
WRONG!
It's easy to be impressed if you are short-sighted or a corporate shill.
If you live in the area you would not like the impact on traffic (they closed a five-lane road for chrissakes), the environment and the people who live in the area.

The construction project has caused problems that back onto Highway 280 and made that area a nightmare. It may go away when completed but who knows?

There are also tremendous environmental impacts.One example can be seen in the landscaping. The project is surrounded by a nice green lawn, however people in the area are being forced to reduce their water use because the state is in a drought.

I live in the area and don't know of a single person who supported this project, in spite of all the money Apple spent on PR.

...and you think they'll let you in to take a peek? That's funny.

Uh. You clearly haven't looked at the environmental plan or city infrastructure improvements that apple had to submit and adhere to to gain approval. The campus is going to be less water intensive than the buildings there before, and they specifically picked plants and trees native to low water areas.

For someone that lives in the area it seems you didn't even take the time to view or attend any of the city meetings, or review any of the plans....

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
An obscure but notable quote from Star Wars.

Thanks for noticing, I was quoting the guys post about an 2 meter wide exhaust port, that I *think* was a Death Star reference, but I could have been off target. It's been alot of years since I've seen the orig trilogy.

----------

It means Waxhead138 owns a T-16.

Thanks, thought I was going to be left in complete obscurity. No one was catching on lol.

Last edited:

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California

Attachments

• T 16:2.jpg
    T 16:2.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 82

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Whether you're an Apple fan or not, it's hard to look at these progressive images without being just a little awe-struck.

I will admit, I look at them and think what a waste of space, that will have to be upgraded before long.

It's like, we have this space to use, so let's spread stuff out to fill the space, as opposed to making best use of the space.

I guess we'll see how many years, before they realise this design is pretty, but also inefficient and a poor use of the land, and have to make changes.

----------

I wonder what Tim Cook's office will look like

http://lolpranks.com/wp-content/upl...funny-office-prank-desk-covered-co-worker.jpg

:D

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I will admit, I look at them and think what a waste of space, that will have to be upgraded before long.

It's like, we have this space to use, so let's spread stuff out to fill the space, as opposed to making best use of the space.

I guess we'll see how many years, before they realise this design is pretty, but also inefficient and a poor use of the land, and have to make changes.

I think I'll trust world renowned architects like Foster and Partners over posters on MacRumors. :rolleyes:

SaraMac95014

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2014
Uh. You clearly haven't looked at the environmental plan or city infrastructure improvements that apple had to submit and adhere to to gain approval. The campus is going to be less water intensive than the buildings there before, and they specifically picked plants and trees native to low water areas.

For someone that lives in the area it seems you didn't even take the time to view or attend any of the city meetings, or review any of the plans....

How do you know what I did?
Steve Jobs showed up and the City rolled over.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
How do you know what I did?
Steve Jobs showed up and the City rolled over.

Because half the claims you made are clearly disproven by the city planning reports that are easily accessible.

Environmental Report:http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1178

General: http://www.cupertino.org/index.aspx?page=1107

Public record is a thing you know. Your environmental claims are junk, directly disproven by the reports. As for the traffic, that happens during construction on this scale, yet you seem to totally ignore the millions Apple is putting into the city for infrastructure improvements.

So you either didn't do your homework before going of on your tangent, or you did read it and didn't understand a thing your read.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...ing-over-apples-campus-2-environmental-impact

http://www.treehugger.com/green-architecture/6-ways-new-apple-headquarters-will-be-green.html

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think I'll trust world renowned architects like Foster and Partners over posters on MacRumors. :rolleyes:

To be honest, I would not for a moment :)

When it comes to art ?
Designing for Looks, and/or to be different.

Then looking at another type of building that's designed for function and practicality, you may well find the two are totally at odds with each other.

Is a doughnut the best use of space?
Well no, I think we can all agree on that one.

Does it look pretty / interesting, well, yes, I guess one must say it will look nice, with tree's in the middle etc etc, it's going to look good.

Is it the most practical shape to get from one area of the building to another, errr, again I think we can say that's a BIG no on that one.

Of course, none of this makes it wrong.

I guess as long as they have anticipated into the future their needs when it comes to people there who need space, then all good.

Fact remains, a more conventional building, in the same area of land, would of given those people most space to work in, and quicker access from area to area.

There is a reason most buildings are not built this shape :)

Having said that........

I myself would like a home built like this.

Not perhaps a doughnut as most home plots are not circular, but I'd like a home that had it's back all the way around my boundary line, following the shape of my home plot, and all windows facing in, and my garden in the middle.

Yes, it would be a bloody PITA to walk from say one area to the other. Meaning I have to walk all the way around, or cross the middle, which is fine if the weather is good.
But it would give me maximum privacy and make the best use of my garden space.
So I personally would forgo practicality for privacy, but then again it would be for me as my home, not for a business.

wpattison

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2008
San Francisco, CA
What a waste. Superfluous spending with no benefit to the customer or stockholder.

:apple:

Not even sure why I'm replying to such a comment, but let me roll off a few benefits...

1. Consolidation of costs - without spreading across so many different locations, renting out various locations for workers and events, there are savings.

2. Collaboration capability - with everyone located at the same address, it'll be easier to collaborate. Better products.

3. Employee satisfaction - happy employees equal better output.

Those are just some immediate benefits to the stockholder, of which, I highly doubt you are.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.