Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PaulChowHK

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2011
Apple was beating then just fine at 4", with revenue and profits that exceed every Android vendor on Earth put together. Now, Apple is ready to annihilate the high end of the Android market. By this time next year, the most expensive Android you can get will be $300 and will run an obsolete version of Android on obsolete hardware. There just aren't going to be enough die-hard fandroids to keep the $500 flagship Android phones alive. Most people bought Android for size or price, now it will just be the latter.

iPhone 6 is going to make lots of money. Everyone going to buy it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Competition isnt going to stop, correct, but they will also not stop churning out crap to see what sticks.

Have you seen the new Galaxy phone with a metal body? Completely ripped off the chrome edges from the iPhone. Its not the first time but this time its metal which is more comparable.

RAM argument is getting old. If you do so much on your phone where RAM becomes a problem then you arent using the right device. Having 50 tabs open in your browser and numerous other things....

So why does the Safari browser allow so many tabs if we're not actually 'allowed' to use them? Why does my iPhone offer multitasking if I'm supposed to make sure all other apps and Safari tabs are closed? It's either a smartphone 'computer in a pocket', or it isn't. I can use a 2-year old Android phone in a manner that I can't use an iPhone 6? RAM solves this problem and it's cheap as chips. Oh and the other area where your argument falls down is that you state we should be using a different device. Ah, so you mean an iPad with the same 1GB of RAM?

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
I think Cook is being optimistic. I'm on the fence about upgrading because I really don't want that big a phone. I like the current iPhone 5 size, yet I also want the NFC capabilities of the 6. I'll have to wait to actually hold one and see what I think.

4.7". It's a fantastic size for a phone.

heeloliver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2014
Is it just me, or does the space gray look close to the silver? Serious question. I expected a much darker tint to it, but I can't tell.

Yes! And that's why I like it. I would get the silver but the sensor and speaker don't look aligned very well, but you can see the sensor with the space grey so it just looks like an iPhone 4.

neogeo71

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
To the haters, I know the antenna lines on the back are different, but How many of you spend so much time looking a the back of your phone? The screen is what counts and apple got that part right. And if you care so much what other people think of you when your holding the phone to your ear, you have way more problems than the lines on the phone.

I would have preferred the glass panels at the top and bottom myself but I am OK with the back panel, I slap a case on my phone anyway.

Apple made 2 mistakes in my opinion, they should have ditched the 16gb in favor of keeping 32gb as the $199 option and the 4.7 should have the same optical stabilization.

I'm gonna have a hard time deciding between the 4.7 and the 5.5 due to the better camera...

al2fast

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2014
how much better is the camera going to be and is the battery life going to be any better? is ios 8 going to allow you to attach files to email without being jailbroken?

trues

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2014
trues

Yes, Cook; you are right. People, including myself, will be upgrading their iPhone 4s to the Free iPhone 5c ;)

darude908

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014
To the haters, I know the antenna lines on the back are different, but How many of you spend so much time looking a the back of your phone? The screen is what counts and apple got that part right. And if you care so much what other people think of you when your holding the phone to your ear, you have way more problems than the lines on the phone.

I would have preferred the glass panels at the top and bottom myself but I am OK with the back panel, I slap a case on my phone anyway.

Apple made 2 mistakes in my opinion, they should have ditched the 16gb in favor of keeping 32gb as the $199 option and the 4.7 should have the same optical stabilization.

I'm gonna have a hard time deciding between the 4.7 and the 5.5 due to the better camera...

you paid for a premium price for an apple device. you'd expect a premium design. You take the beautiful design out of apple and what do you have? An overpriced samsung galaxy. It's the core of apple, steve jobs knew that and that's why he stressed design so much. So yes the lines do matter.

neogeo71

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
Yes, Cook; you are right. People, including myself, will be upgrading their iPhone 4s to the Free iPhone 5c ;)

the 5c is a nice free upgrade form the 4S. Phones are trending larger, you will need to get one at somepoint anyway and learn to live with it. Apple followed the numbers and the highest percentage of phones sold last year were over 4 inches...

Merkyworks

macrumors 6502
Oct 14, 2008
It is a little disappointing that the 5.5 doesn't have better layout of apps, ie 5 app row dock. 5 app dock fits great on the corrent iPhone and with the new larger sizes there is no reason this shouldn't be standard on the 6+. I also am discouraged by the images on Apple's site, they let you compare the current iPhone to the 6/6+ but the screen images are just blown up and are not displaying more content, I really hope this is not the real case.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
Apple knows what they are doing. The iPhone 6 only has 1 GB because it only really needs that amount. iOS 8 will be even more optimized and the fastest phone on the planet with the A8 chip.

The only people who look at specs closely are Android fanboys. I love specs - on a computer - but I don't care about them on a phone or tablet as long as said phone/tablet can run all my apps without lagging.

That is what Apple fanboys told about the 3.5" then 4" screens. That is what they said about NFC. That is what they said about everything else that Apple lacked till Apple gave it to them. No wonder SJ thought customers do not know what they want until we gave them. Only problem is now they are being given those by others..

Sure I like their Apple pay initiative.
I like their iPhone 6.
Not so much their Apple watch but it might sell in droves, not because it is the best but because its customers are loyal. Good for Apple not so much for the customers..

neogeo71

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2008
you paid for a premium price for an apple device. you'd expect a premium design. You take the beautiful design out of apple and what do you have? An overpriced samsung galaxy. It's the core of apple, steve jobs knew that and that's why he stressed design so much. So yes the lines do matter.

The lines are not bad. Steve's obsession led to the antenna issues of the iphone 4. I bet the 6s lines will be thinner. This design is not going away. I think they should have tinted the lines to closer match the color of the phone, the white lines on the gold look the worst, but I like the Space Grey version. I have always used a case and that is not gonna change so the case eliminates the lines and the camera sticking out for me. I am gonna upgrade no matter what. new upgrade every 10 months as a Verizon business customer. cannot beat it!

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
That is what Apple fanboys told about the 3.5" then 4" screens. That is what they said about NFC. That is what they said about everything else that Apple lacked till Apple gave it to them. No wonder SJ thought customers do not know what they want until we gave them. Only problem is now they are being given those by others..

Sure I like their Apple pay initiative.
I like their iPhone 6.
Not so much their Apple watch but it might sell in droves, not because it is the best but because its customers are loyal. Good for Apple not so much for the customers..

The apple watch is the best one in the market...in terms of what it can do and the look of it. All other smart watches look terrible in real life and have half the functionality or less.

Gasu E.

macrumors 603
Mar 20, 2004
Not far from Boston, MA.
Apple really insulted us all by starting the iPhone6 with a puny 16gb. SHAME ON YOU APPLE! I won't be buying the iphone6 for that reason. I'm not going to pay an extra $100 for decent storage when the base should have that.

Hmmm... why don't you just pretend the 16GB model doesn't exist, and that the base model just costs $100 more.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
The lines are not bad. Steve's obsession led to the antenna issues of the iphone 4. I bet the 6s lines will be thinner. This design is not going away. I think they should have tinted the lines to closer match the color of the phone, the white lines on the gold look the worst, but I like the Space Grey version. I have always used a case and that is not gonna change so the case eliminates the lines and the camera sticking out for me. I am gonna upgrade no matter what. new upgrade every 10 months as a Verizon business customer. cannot beat it!

I would've liked thinner lines personally. the people griping about the 4 were just annoying because I never experienced any problems with that phone. I thought the hoopla was overblown.

In either case, I wish they could've made it more like a small iPad TBQH. I think the antenna design would've done over better if they made the new iPhone 6 design closer to that of the iPads with the antenna at the top.

darude908

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2014

Yea I liked one of the concepts where there's no lines just glass on top and bottom. Steve Jobs obsession with design was what made the iphone so great. And yea that's exactly my thought. I don't know why they couldn't just paint the lines the same color and the loose panel from top and bottom a different color. It'll look much nicer. But since I still have an iphone 4 and it's just unusable after the whole ios 7 fiasco, I'd have to get the 6, maybe the silver...

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Apple really insulted us all by starting the iPhone6 with a puny 16gb. SHAME ON YOU APPLE! I won't be buying the iphone6 for that reason. I'm not going to pay an extra $100 for decent storage when the base should have that.

They should have said, "record 240fps slo-mo with your iPhone, however with just 16gb on the iphone6 that'll give you about 10 seconds of video."

I am die hard Apple all the way, but eliminating the 32gb slot and keeping 16gb as the low end was low. Period. I was planning on buying 32 gb anyway. 32 is what I need - for 3 phones.
I thought there would be a 16gb, but I was planning on buying the second level. Even though this is working out better for me.. getting 64 for the 32gb price, I just think that keeping 16gb around was a low blow. It makes no sense.:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.