Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I checked by rMBP with an LG screen (based on the script) with this test:
http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

I run the 10 minute test (below) on my machine, which according to the script has an LG screen, and didn't notice any image retention.

My previous basic 2.3 rMBP had an LG screen and did showed IR on the test. This machine was sold by Mac Mall in December 31st and Apple Care reflects December 8, 2013 as the warranty ending date (now is December 8, 2015 since I purchased Apple Care) so apparently is a late 2012 rMBP production.
I know not every LG shows IR, apparently mine is one of the good ones; if something goes wrong in the near future, I'm covered until 2015.

Last edited:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The only thing I hope comes from the class action is that apple acknowledges it as faulty behaviour and has a screen replacement program,

They already have one. It's called warranty service

----------

But I'll tell you one thing. It's not something I'd "just tolerate". It's a $2000 laptop. I expect it to work perfectly for at least 3 years. Hell, it's the major reason why you'd pay that much for a laptop in the first place. You don't plunk down a good chunk of change for good enough, or I can deal with it. You pay for perfectly functional, you expect perfectly functional, you should get perfectly functional.

Anyone that spends a decent amount of time around tech knows that you never expect gen 1 to be perfect. If you can't handle the likelihood of issues, wait for the next round

----------

In this case, Apple doesn't acknowledge a faulty product

Sure they do.when an actual faulty display is brought to them. But not every display is faulty so why demand that they recall perfectly good units

----------

No one cares about how much screens there actually are that are of intolerable quality. The guy with the class-action lawsuit obviously had one and he probably had a lot more reasons to go all the way.

You got it backwards. There´s a class-action lawsuit, because Apple doesn´t address that as a problem.

more often than not, class action suits are filed not because a company did nothing but because they didn't do what a person or small group of persons feel they should have.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
If a car is sold, and faults with batches of key components are found, vehicles are recalled even if the fault might not occur in that car. The manufacturer has to be proactive when a widespread issue is found

That's because a fault with a key component in a car is often a potential safety issue.

Sort of fault batteries there is little in a computer that is going to kill someone

Shasterball

Suspended
Oct 19, 2007
They actually wont replace your display and berate you about "screen burn being the trade-off for the great contrast and colors"

I cant believe the customer service i received at the genius bar the other day. This is a $2500 computer that i use in a very video/photo intensive professional workplace at saturday night live. I explained that I can't have screen burn overlaying the videos i am trying to edit. The "genius" had the balls to say well you can just buy the normal macbook pro, thats why we still have them...

Such a ridiculous new approach Apple is taking. Its as if they think they can do no wrong. And what sucks is, of course im not going to buy any other computer and they know that. Would be nice to have some support though on a known problem for a customer who has spent probably 20 grand on their products.

Also the genius kept saying he knows nothing about samsung vs lg or who the suppliers are but continued to pretend this wasnt a problem.

sorry for rambling. very upset with apple right now

Jeeze -- maybe I heard of the outlier. Well, if this is really how Apple is handling in person requests (from the stories on here), then they are way out of line. Tech support and product support are usually key reasons for getting an Apple device (or at least justifying the high price).

Danoblk

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
AppleCare playing games

Im having the same problem took my unit to two apple stores, one in USA and one in Vancouver. They both had the same reply and will not acknowledge the ghosting on my unit. I'm looking for a replacement and AppleCare will not replace unit. They only will allow a one time screen replacement, even though my unit is under warranty. My MacBook pro retina cost me over 3000 plus apple care. AppleCare sucks and I'm glad they are being suited,and wish for a better outcome. I have to speak to corporate department on Monday!!!

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Why people buy v1 of any tech is beyond me.

You're just paying 1000s to be a beta tester.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is behind this. Would be a business strategy that is quite typical for them. Tax evasion, bribery and price fixing - why not a proxy lawsuit to smear two competitors in one go.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-became-the-giant-that-ate-korea-8510588.html

Nice article describing what happens to you if you speak up against Samsung in South Korea.

An astute, if not frightening observation. Rampant corruption cleverly disguised and when exposed by brave individuals, justified by invoking loopholes and technicalities, and then silencing those whistleblowers by sending them to jail on trumped up charges. That says a lot about South Korea's government and judicial institutions as well. After reading articles like the one you quoted, one can't help but lose all faith in fundamental justice, if not humanity itself.

Drinahn

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2003
Aussie in London
Legally, Apple should indicate externally what brand panel is used so customer's are informed. Its morally wrong to hide this information on the basis they are all identical - picture says a thousand words. Apple should only use Samsung for displays as they are better and don't have the yellow tinge that all LG panels seem to have. Im surprised Apple still buy from LG, considering this issue, and the same issue on the iMac's. Only Samsung should be used, and anyone that has an LG display should get it swapped for a Samsung model instantly - no questions asked.

Yeah, they should be obliged to put a rubbish sticker on it saying this. I'd also like to know the provenance of every resister and capacitor, and what aluminium mine the aluminium came from. There might be some variance in that too that the customer needs to make a decision on.

Give me a break, go buy a dell. Oh wait.

jaymzuk

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2012
That's because a fault with a key component in a car is often a potential safety issue.

Sort of fault batteries there is little in a computer that is going to kill someone

In both cases, what you've received isn't what you've paid for.

Either way, I'm not really affected by this. I don't own MBP, and following debacles like this, I won't own a MBP. And those people who had to go through all the hassle of getting a replacement when their 'premium device' wasn't up to scratch? The non-fanboy ones of those won't be buying them either.

In this thread, I haven't seen an argument for Apple's non-recall of LG panels that couldn't be described as either tenuous or asinine.

There is no excuse for paying a premium for a device, there being a 50% chance it's ****, and Apple being patchy at best at putting it right.

Wreckem

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2010
All our purchase of iMacs 27 and Apple Cinema display have been returned for screens issue too.. Yellow and uniformity issue. Even back in 2010.
LG make lousy display. period.
The funny part is Apple continue pushing those troublesome panel at us.

No. Every monitor technology has its flaws. IPS panels were the only high end panel out there until Samsungs recent PLS panels. LG's IPS panels power some of the highest priced monitors out their(HP Dream Color, Eizo, etc). LG still makes some of the best panels, they do appear to have QC issues from time to time. The IR on only some of the original retinas that were equipped with LG panels leads to the conclusion that LG shipped a bad batch of panels.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Sigh, another stupid lawsuit. Just take the thing back, I'm sure Apple will refund you.

Everyone wants a piece of the Apple pie these days.

Nice that you're living in USA and can get a refund from Apple. Worldwide surely we can't reproduce this scenario. This lawsuit can help people around the world to get a proof of display's malfunctioning so they can sue Apple individually and get a refund.

----------

Why people buy v1 of any tech is beyond me.

You're just paying 1000s to be a beta tester.

That's why I don't like to be an early adopter. Usually I buy used or slightly outdated stuff. Slightly used stuff is nice because it proved work for some time. Outdated ones are sometimes a more mature batch of a product that was premium-charged earlier. The patient gets more for less.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I checked by rMBP with an LG screen (based on the script) with this test:
http://www.mitchmalone.name/retina-test/

I run the 10 minute test (below) on my machine, which according to the script has an LG screen, and didn't notice any image retention.

My previous basic 2.3 rMBP had an LG screen and did showed IR on the test. This machine was sold by Mac Mall in December 31st and Apple Care reflects December 8, 2013 as the warranty ending date (now is December 8, 2015 since I purchased Apple Care) so apparently is a late 2012 rMBP production.
I know not every LG shows IR, apparently mine is one of the good ones; if something goes wrong in the near future, I'm covered until 2015.

Why exactly did you post this screenshot?

----------

Nice that you're living in USA and can get a refund from Apple. Worldwide surely we can't reproduce this scenario. This lawsuit can help people around the world to get a proof of display's malfunctioning so they can sue Apple individually and get a refund.

----------

That's why I don't like to be an early adopter. Usually I buy used or slightly outdated stuff. Slightly used stuff is nice because it proved work for some time. Outdated ones are sometimes a more mature batch of a product that was premium-charged earlier. The patient gets more for less.

Well somebody needs to be an early adopter...

It just so happens I needed a laptop when 1st gen unibody came out, and I replaced it when 1st gen retina came out.
I'm probably replacing it when next 1st gen comes out.

Had exactly 0 problems with both.

cpuin

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
i have rMB Pro 13 3.00GHz Core i7 and the out put of this script
ioreg -lw0 | grep IODisplayEDID | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

is

ings -6
@.`0 6
Color LCD

How can i figure out which manufacture produced my display?

dynamojoe

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2011
Miami, FL
I think this is the terminal command to determine your display:

If you get LPxxxx then it apparently is an LG display.

I just get "Color LCD". I'm guessing that means I've got a Sammy. I haven't noticed any ghosting.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Why exactly did you post this screenshot?

----------

Well somebody needs to be an early adopter...

It just so happens I needed a laptop when 1st gen unibody came out, and I replaced it when 1st gen retina came out.
I'm probably replacing it when next 1st gen comes out.

Had exactly 0 problems with both.
To show don't have any ghosting issues as of yet.

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
i have rMB Pro 13 3.00GHz Core i7 and the out put of this script

is

ings -6
@.`0 6
Color LCD

How can i figure out which manufacture produced my display?

it doesn't work on 13.3" rMBP, only the 15

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008

I don't think you have a grasp on the issue. How exactly is a digital screenshot going to show a physical problem? You've posted that screenshot in about ten thousand threads and in each one, someone tells you that it doesn't make sense, and then I see it in another thread...

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
So has anyone purchased a new rMBP in the last month and gotten a Samsung screen right out of the box?

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
So has anyone purchased a new rMBP in the last month and gotten a Samsung screen right out of the box?

I bought a refurb last month and its LG with IR. In other words, someone returned it after noticing IR and apple resold the same screen to me. Ill be replacing it when I'm not in class and dependent on a computer.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008

I don't think you have a grasp on the issue. How exactly is a digital screenshot going to show a physical problem? You've posted that screenshot in about ten thousand threads and in each one, someone tells you that it doesn't make sense, and then I see it in another thread...

Errm. What Alucardx said.
Screenshot will not show ghosting. Ghosting occurs AFTER the picture leave your software through the graphics adapter to your screen, and it happens ON THE SCREEN. The screenshot happens BEFORE it leaves the GPU. See how that works?

You need a camera.

NXTMIKE

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Canada
Great news to see that someone has finally taken action on behalf of thousands and thousands of MBP Retina owners.

The biggest thing that pissed me off was that when I brought mine into the Genius Bar, the Genius said that it was normal because the ghosting would disappear in less than 60 seconds, and took a couple appointments before one was willing to side with me for a screen replacement... they wouldn't even replace the entire computer! My replacement LCD was luckily a Samsung model, even though he made no guarantees between the two brands.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.