Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
How can we join the Class action?! I want to!

I posted this before in this thread, but for your reference:

"Hi, here is information from the law firm which submitted the class action against Apple:

http://www.siprut.com/news.html#

News from their website:
"Siprut PC has sued Apple Inc. in a lawsuit that accuses the company of tricking consumers into paying premium prices for MacBook Pro computers with shoddy retina display screens manufactured by LG Corp. Although Apple advertises the MacBook's liquid crystal display screens as the best of its kind, some of the computers contain LG screens that suffer from brightness, color and image display flaws while others feature better screens made by Samsung Corp. The lawsuit further alleges the LG screens fail to live up to Apple's marketing claims, and consumers have no way to tell whether a MacBook's screen is made by LG or Samsung until after they purchase the product"

Under the Contact us section you can write them about your issue and the class action. I e-mail them and they gave me a call back, so suggest you do the same."

pedrofan

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I posted this before in this thread, but for your reference:

"Hi, here is information from the law firm which submitted the class action against Apple:

News from their website:
"Siprut PC has sued Apple Inc. in a lawsuit that accuses the company of tricking consumers into paying premium prices for MacBook Pro computers with shoddy retina display screens manufactured by LG Corp. Although Apple advertises the MacBook's liquid crystal display screens as the best of its kind, some of the computers contain LG screens that suffer from brightness, color and image display flaws while others feature better screens made by Samsung Corp. The lawsuit further alleges the LG screens fail to live up to Apple's marketing claims, and consumers have no way to tell whether a MacBook's screen is made by LG or Samsung until after they purchase the product"

Under the Contact us section you can write them about your issue and the class action. I e-mail them and they gave me a call back, so suggest you do the same."
Thanks, I have emailed them.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
I recently got a nice Samsung equipped rMBP (LSN154YL01001 ) so hopefully will avoid future ghosting issues.

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung is behind this. Would be a business strategy that is quite typical for them. Tax evasion, bribery and price fixing - why not a proxy lawsuit to smear two competitors in one go.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-became-the-giant-that-ate-korea-8510588.html

Nice article describing what happens to you if you speak up against Samsung in South Korea.

Ha really it's Samsung and not apple for using subpar displays? Man people will defend apple for everything even when they are clearly in the wrong....

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Has anyone figured out how to reach the attorney's office who is behind the suit?

In my post #319 above, I said:

News from their website:

Under the Contact us section you can write them about your issue and the class action. I e-mail them and they gave me a call back, so suggest you do the same. "

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2011
When buying a MacBook Pro Retina display, how can I be sure that the screen is a Samsung screen? Will it say it on the box?

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
When buying a MacBook Pro Retina display, how can I be sure that the screen is a Samsung screen? Will it say it on the box?

Unfortunately no. The only way to tell, on the 15 inch model, is to run the script you will find listed on the forum; the script does not work on the 13 inch Retina, though.

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2011
If I call Apple and order a computer, can I ask Apple to sell me a computer with a serial number that indicates it is a Samsung screen?

artschool

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2011
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...company-title-as-shares-hit-18-month-low.html

what a surprise!

my retina had a LG screen that was faulty, five trips to the apple store, numerous phone calls etc they finally replaced it.

best of luck to the class action, apple need a kick in the ass over this!

----------

no

----------

If I call Apple and order a computer, can I ask Apple to sell me a computer with a serial number that indicates it is a Samsung screen?

i asked and the said no, you only find out when its fixed to your machine.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009

davidhunternyc

macrumors regular
Dec 26, 2011
Thanks for your help, guys. Can you tell me, "how to run the script" to see what screen it is? I want to go to an Apple store and test it out before I buy a new laptop. Thanks.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
Thanks for your help, guys. Can you tell me, "how to run the script" to see what screen it is? I want to go to an Apple store and test it out before I buy a new laptop. Thanks.

Sure ! :)

You need to run this script on Terminal mode, which you will find it on application under utilities:

ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

If it saids LSN = Samsung, if it saids LP = LG

You may experience reluctancy from the store to open the box, run through the setup, and then run the test since if you don't buy it they have to send it back to Apple, but understand a few people have been able to do so and buy an Samsung machine after a few tries. Hope this helps!

skim1999

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2013
Sure ! :)

You need to run this script on Terminal mode, which you will find it on application under utilities:

If it saids LSN = Samsung, if it saids LP = LG

You may experience reluctancy from the store to open the box, run through the setup, and then run the test since if you don't buy it they have to send it back to Apple, but understand a few people have been able to do so and buy an Samsung machine after a few tries. Hope this helps!

That's awesome but I understand that to have 512GB on a rMBP ten you have to order it online. Is that right?

----------

Does anyone know what Apple is going to do about the IR screens? Think they will fix it some time and switch to just Samsung screens?

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
That's awesome but I understand that to have 512GB on a rMBP ten you have to order it online. Is that right?

----------

Does anyone know what Apple is going to do about the IR screens? Think they will fix it some time and switch to just Samsung screens?

I think 512GB machines are available at stores without the need of doing special orders on the 2.6 Ghz (0n 2013 year refresh would be 2.7 model), at least on the 2012 model is MC976LL/A

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
But do you know what Apple are going to do about the IR?

So far apparently nothing, they may eventually do something if tha class action is effective, time will tell. In my case I sold my LG equipped rMBP, which did not had IR (type 1 LG panel, produced supposely on week 38, around september 2012) and got an used rMBP with a Samsung display just to play safe.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
No. You have to run this in terminal for Macbook screen info.

LP is LG and LSN is Samsung.

Thanks! However, since the date of my original posting we're now on the cusp of Haswell so I plan to just wait. Hopefully, any display issues will be solved in the next crop of units. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.