Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
If Apple decides to make their own "Bing!" It's not tough to alter the prefs on the device you bought to your liking as opposed to only Apple's offering.

But thats where the problem is with Apple, the company has never heard of the word 'choice' or 'options'.

If it were up to Apple, profits or no profits, they would force you to use and do everything they saw fit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
It's past time to kick Google to the curb as the default iOS search engine. Sorry guys, but it's insanity to rely on a competitor for such a critical component of your platform.

I agree. Forget all the fanboy accusations for now. As a business, it would be a strategic move for Apple to continue downplaying Google by removing them as the default search engine in Safari. There was a survey reported by Ars Technica showing that this whole Maps fiasco isn't really affecting sales of the iPhone 5.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/10/survey-says-iphone-5-owners-not-bothered-by-ios-6-mapsare-you/

So I really don't care about the comments on this forum or other tech blogs complaining about maps. Sales are strong. Dump Google I say.

----------

If it were up to Apple, profits or no profits, they would force you to use and do everything they saw fit.

First, no company is forcing anyone to do anything. Secondly, so what if some people actually like using most or all of Apple's products and services in their eco system? It's their choice. You don't speak for everyone in the world.

Exotic-Car Man

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2010
USA
Clearly Apple plans to take down Google and capture all of their profits for itself. Couldn't happen soon enough.

Go Apple!

Lol at someone 'taking down' google. Also lol at cheering for a company.
3rcr3a.jpg

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
At first I thought Siri was a gimmick but the more I use it the more I like it. It is saving time. I just get used more and more and now I wish Siri could do even more. So any improvement cant come soon enough. :D

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
apple already is a search company - you search for songs in itunes - items in the stores and the iphone is 1 big giant searching device - we search for locations in maps - contacts calendar items and on the web. i'm surprised they aren't better at it. this is a GREAT move - about time. i bet in a year the iphone will be a much more competent device in terms of search!!!!!! and if this guy does his job correctly - he will be an extremely important person in the company.

b0fh

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
if apple does - and i assume they will - get rid of google as the default search engine - based on the web usage of ios vs. android - the hit to google will be larger than one would normally assume based on ios's market share.

brentmore

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
ATX
Dr. Dre

Apple hired Dr. Andre Nowzick?? Can't wait to see what outfit he'll wear on his first day.

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Altavista was great in its time, the best.

Siri seriously needs some strong management. The last change was a big step backwards. OK, they added sports scores, but they lost major ability.

When it first came out I could ask it "How old is Isaac" and it would look in my contacts for an Isaac, ask me which one and because I had birthdates in my Contacts it told me his age. Isaac, aged 6 was astonished at the answer. It doesn't do that any more. No idea why not. Fortunately, I can still ask it to "call my wife" and it gets it right.

Please no more backsliding!

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Yeah, it's insanity to partner with other companies who have services which excel and any chance of competing with and/or matching services results in screwing the users for years until you possible catchup or ping on your ass.

Whatever next? Other companies finding a sensible way to work together instead of becoming overzealous control freaks? How can that possibly work? Inconceivable!

:rolleyes:

What companies are just "working together" exactly? I mean, they all are, in that they all make their living by using all kinds of regulated, governmental and standards body-made standards. I don't know how you think OS companies aren't going to compete with each other, unique among all world corporations. Of course they will work together and cooperate on many things. But this cooperation, Android style, is not "cooperation". It's a directed effort to copy the iPhone and steal patents. Apple went to the courts and won.

If you want to talk about changing the law, go ahead. It's interesting that by giving you free if copied software, you emotionally embrace what's just a counterfeiting operation, like the cheap Calvin Klein stuff you pick up in Hong Kong. Yes, Jobs was a control freak. Show me a billionaire who isn't, including those in the free and open googleland. They're all businesses. Apple has grown enormously because of Jobs' visions. Yes, there are design patents. Source copyrights. Patenting of methods, which is what they patent in the physical world. Invent a new type of transmitter? Patent it. Then someone wanting to compete with you won't take the easy out of copying you and not acknowledging it. That's the cheapest and quickest way to catch up. Patent holders should enforce patents.

wimdows

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2012
I seriously doubt that the solution to this problem (Siri under performing) is not through search tech, which seems like a scatter shot approach.

It will be in serious linguistic and grammatical analysis and tokenization. As it will be for bots to pass the Turing test. Obviously including 'awareness' of history and personal as well as conversational context.

dmarcoot

macrumors member
Dec 21, 2007
I always thought of Siri as nothing more than a novel gimmick. Is it really as poor as some of you guys have mentioned?

siri is flawed but its not a gimmick when it works. it is especially useful hen driving. I use for reminders more than anything and for me, upgrading from a iPhone 4, it is a killer feature.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Yeah, it's insanity to partner with other companies who have services which excel and any chance of competing with and/or matching services results in screwing the users for years until you possible catchup or ping on your ass.

Um, kinda hard to continue to "partner" with a company that lifted your work for their own mobile OS, gave it away to Asian knockoff companies (Samsung) to take away valuable sales while bashing you with advertising that mocks your products and your customers.

Google started this war with Apple. Not the other way around.

Google dependency is not a good thing. Not for Apple. Not for anyone.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Lol at someone 'taking down' google. Also lol at cheering for a company.

Not sure why you'd lol... Unlike cheering for a sports team, cheering for a company you've invested in makes perfect sense. Also, Apple has pretty much taken down RIMM and Nokia while they were at the top of their game, so the possibility of taking down Google isn't so far fetched.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
This is great news. I'm not sure why, but whatever.

Oh yes, the reason: Siri is pretty stupid the way she is now.

Please Mister Amazon guy make her work better and not be such a blonde....and such. :)

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Um, kinda hard to continue to "partner" with a company that lifted your work for their own mobile OS, gave it away to Asian knockoff companies (Samsung) to take away valuable sales while bashing you with advertising that mocks your products and your customers.

Google started this war with Apple. Not the other way around.

Google dependency is not a good thing. Not for Apple. Not for anyone.

The scariest thing about your post is that I sincerely believe you think what you wrote is remotely true.

smkmn13

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2006
Hopefully he knows the difference between NYC and New York, Texas, because Siri STILL DOESN'T!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Sorry, but asking about the weather seems to be one of the most common things I'd LIKE to ask Siri about, but still...despite knowing where I am...she doesn't seem to make that connection!

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

:rolleyes:

Yes, indeed, why partner when you can leverage your monopoly in one industry to break into businesses others pioneered? You know, like Google creating their own FaceBook? Or their own iOS? Or their own Instagram? Or their own Yelp? Or their own MapQuest? Or their own hotmail? Or their own iTunes? Or their own Groupon? Or their own desktop OS? The list goes on and on which is why Google is quite possibly the most hated and feared company in Silicon Valley.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Of course not. You slowly cut their food supply over many, many years. They then begin to loose weight, and die. Some short periods they may even gain a little weight. But you stay on them for 10 years. Pounding relentlessly.

The world would be a better place if Apple and Google could coexist.

All Eric had to do was not be a Double Agent of Dishonesty while on Apples Board.

He betrayed the trust. Let the best managed company survive. :apple:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
It's past time to kick Google to the curb as the default iOS search engine. Sorry guys, but it's insanity to rely on a competitor for such a critical component of your platform.

LOL at Google fanboy deriding fanboyism. :rolleyes:

LOL at clueless person assuming that he's a Google fanboy :rolleyes:

----------

The scariest thing about your post is that I sincerely believe you think what you wrote is remotely true.

The scary reality of people on the internet. I sincerely KNOW that he thinks that what he wrote is true.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.