Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mufasa804

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2009
For those who want to downgrade to snow leopard? Why don't you just run it in a VM inside Lion?

fkhan3

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2010
heh, The last thing I want on my brand new MBA is 10.7.0, I'll stick with what's stable. If I buy a machine with Lion on it the first thing I do will be install Snow Leopard. "Duh!"

Apple, this news is hogwash. :mad:

Agree. I rather have something stable than run an OS that wont play nice with programs that I absolutely need.

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
The developer previews of Lion has so far been fairly buggy - although many will be fixed before public release it is crazy to think that 10.7.0 will be as bug-free as 10.6.7. Theres no way when they are changing the OS this fast that everything can be fixed.
I agree, it would be nice if Apple delivered a somewhat bug free OS. However being the influential company they are. They are rarely held accountable.

Having refined the art of pointing the finger and shirking responsibility for as much as possible it's oddly found acceptable by those who pay for the product.

So, no worries for those with patience, you can watch the rest be Apples beta testers.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
If Apple is shipping the new Macs with Lion straight away then it is objected that hey, it is gonna be full of bugs and how difficult could be to revert to SL.

Buy a used, refurb, or dealer Mac?

Problem solved till 10.7.1 or 10.7.2 when it has almost arrived.

Rocketman

10.7.3 server mini :)

POST WITHIN A POST . . . .

Apple has decided Lion 10.7.0 is suitable for system-wide deployment.

Question.

Are they stupid or not?

Data: #1 app store, #1 most profitable, #1 retailer on metrics, #1 international computer vendor. Are we there yet?

Last edited:

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
The one advantage of Apples choice to hold off on new hardware releases is the fact that more users will be testing Lion in the real world. Therefore any problems of significance will impact more users which in turn will increase pressure on Apple to fix it.

X5-452

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Calgary, Canada
This is probably gonna sound really lame, but I'm not surprised given the keyboard.

Since there are dedicated keys for Exposé / Dashboard, and those 2 applications are essentially replaced by Mission Control, then wouldn't they need to update the letterings on the keyboard to reflect that?? No sense shipping products with keys etched with nonfunctional / non relevant designs; and no sense shipping a product right now that has new emblems that aren't a part of the current OS.

ChrisNM

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2010
Awesome

$29.99 to upgrade to Lion - Awesome! So much better than the $150+ that Microsoft charges.

And better yet, no Lion Home, Lion Professional, or Lion Ultimate. Just Lion.

For anyone who touts PC's are cheaper than Mac's, that may be true from a purely hardware perspective, but when you factor in the software - both the cost and the simplicity - Mac's are the real bargain!

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
So if you buy a machine with Lion installed...does it register as purchasing Lion on your iTunes account?

Cause if not this is a little lame as with the up-to-date program you would get the upgrade for free which I assume would work on all your machines as it would be like buying it from the Mac App Store.

Huh? Lame how? If you do not buy a new machine, then you would have paid $29.99 to upgrade one or more machines in your house right? So if you buy a new machine and it comes with Lion, then for some reason Apple should give you Lion for free for your old machines too? I have never seen so many people with hands out for other products like I do for Apple products....the Back to School beotching and moaning was mind blowing.

You would still pay the original $29.99 you would have to upgrade your older existing machines, so it is the same out of pocket money for your existing machines, regardless if you buy a new one with Lion or not. The only cavet is if you buy now and it comes with SL, you you Lion upgrade for free, but that doesn't mean the upgrade could be applied to every machine in your house as some sort of thank you gift.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
And better yet, no Lion Home, Lion Professional, or Lion Ultimate. Just Lion.

lol how true. There is also not iWork "starter" edition either like what comes thrown into many Windows machines so they can tout it comes with "Office"...

This is probably gonna sound really lame, but I'm not surprised given the keyboard.

Since there are dedicated keys for Exposé / Dashboard, and those 2 applications are essentially replaced by Mission Control, then wouldn't they need to update the letterings on the keyboard to reflect that?? No sense shipping products with keys etched with nonfunctional / non relevant designs; and no sense shipping a product right now that has new emblems that aren't a part of the current OS.

Spot on post and coupled with the software, this delay only makes sense if we all stand back and look at it. its only peoples want and hunger for new Apple products that the forums are awash with disappointment. It is only 4 or so weeks away and Im quite happy to wait for a new Air and Mac Pro and all those rumoured AE TC updates.

satkin2

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2010
This makes total sense, maybe not for folks like us, but we're hanging around on a tech forum.

I know Lion is coming and I'll know the day it launches. I'll know how to install it and update my OS. I understand the differences this will make for me.

However, the majority of people who walk into an Apple store won't know these things.

For example if my parents bought a Mac and didn't consult me post purchase, they would get it up and running and then provided it worked they wouldn't upgrade to Lion.
They probably wouldn't know it was available, if they did I doubt they'd know what impact a new OS could have for them.

So although it might be annoying for us who want to see the latest kit and would be comfrotable making the changes when the time comes, the majority of users wouldn't be. By delaying the release of new hardware, Apple is removing this hurdle for many users. It will also help their figures so that they can say X million people are already using Lion.

nutjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2010
heh, The last thing I want on my brand new MBA is 10.7.0, I'll stick with what's stable. If I buy a machine with Lion on it the first thing I do will be install Snow Leopard. "Duh!"

What news? It's a rumour.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
$29.99 to upgrade to Lion - Awesome! So much better than the $150+ that Microsoft charges.

Microsoft's business model is different. ms sell windows to make a profit, Apple do not. They use their o/s to help sell their own hardware

Thomas2006

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2006
I'm glad Apple is pushing for the quick adoption of Lion. It means developers can actually take advantage of what it has to offer in their apps without worrying about obnoxiously large crowds of people lagging behind on older versions.
I am not liking all the "automatic" stuff that Steve was praising. I do not want my last document to open automatically. I do not want versioning of my documents that will have to be deleted. I do not want my documents automatically sent to the cloud and downloaded to every device. I definitely would prefer the new hardware with Snow Leopard so I can decide when I upgrade my OS, and more importantly, the software and hardware I am using.

In no way shape or form does waiting for Lion to be released have anything to do with making things "convenience" for consumers.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003

Since there are dedicated keys for Exposé / Dashboard, and those 2 applications are essentially replaced by Mission Control, then wouldn't they need to update the letterings on the keyboard to reflect that??

No. Dashboard is still there. The mission control icon is the same as the expose icon on the keyboard.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Wow, why are so many people hesitant about Lion?

Personally, I'm getting my first MacBook soon and I don't want any outdated OS like Snow Leopard. Lion all the way for me! :D

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
I am not liking all the "automatic" stuff that Steve was praising. I do not want my last document to open automatically. I do not want versioning of my documents that will have to be deleted. I do not want my documents automatically sent to the cloud and downloaded to every device. I definitely would prefer the new hardware with Snow Leopard so I can decide when I upgrade my OS, and more importantly, the software and hardware I am using.

In no way shape or form does waiting for Lion to be released have anything to do with making things "convenience" for consumers.

Because you get a choice of OS when you walk into a store to buy a new PC right? Windows or mac, they ship with the latest OS. Suck it up.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Live life on the wild side. Do you know that OS X has a command line. Living the live baby. Hey girl, I do command line -- yeah that makes me hot!

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
It would be September

It would take much longer if they released for SL. One of the most complex parts of designing new hardware is writing and testing the drivers. (if it does not need new drivers, it is not new hardware.)

DeltaXXY

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Since Lion finally has TRIM support for SSD's, it sounds pretty logical to me that they will be shipping this with their new MBA's, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.