Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
Any idiot can have an idea. Nobody else at the time had the balls to bring a phone to market without a keyboard, without Flash and without being tied to a carrier with the carrier's proprietary software and stores. Only Apple did that. There may have been other itty-bitty companies that had the same ideas but couldn't change the landscape.

Remember that MP3 players were not Apple's idea. They built the iPod and created the digital music marketplace for the mainstream. If the image you posted is analogous to the iPhone. Then this image is analogous to the iPod:

So many wrong things in this post, but I'll just bring out one.

Not tied to a carrier? You do know that the iPhone was an AT&T EXCLUSIVE for quite some time, right?

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
So many wrong things in this post, but I'll just bring out one.

Not tied to a carrier? You do know that the iPhone was an AT&T EXCLUSIVE for quite some time, right?

Not being tied to a carrier is a stretch by the OP, but there is some truth in that. The control Apple had over the iPhone platform was unprecedented. It was very common for carriers to install their own apps on the phone and restrict features. Also, carriers' logos are routinely stamped onto the brand and and embedded into the startup screen. AT&T got none of that with the iPhone. In fact, that was the reason Apple had to make the iPhone AT&T exclusive.

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
You must have an amazing ability to also see other timelines from alternate futures! Obviously had the glorious Apple (all praise be to it!) not come out with a phone such as the iPhone, there is no one who would have ever figured it out!

OR, you can wake up and get a reality check. As Google has stated in the past they had two models of phone, one with a keyboard and small screen and one with a touch interface.

But keep on believing that Apple is the only one who would have come up with the idea .. it's fun to dream.

Edit : Oh, I guess Apple came up with the form factor before these guys. Funny though, I remember owning several of these devices with the same form factor before the iPhone was ever announced.

Others certainly would have produced their own take on the smartphone. Multi-touch had been developed and needed someone to bring it to market. They may it may not have implemented it as well as Apple.

I was an smartphone/pda enthusiast years before the iPhone. The offerings at that time were terrible. What is known is that Apple was the first to bring a good smartphone to market, let alone a great one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.