Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.mac

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2007
So only people with business and law knowledge should be allowed to post on forums? Sounds good to me! :)

not, but most folks with no common sense come up as fools in this forums, as you can plainly see...

apple is being sued by any one and every one. Apple should protect its IP as much as they want.

but fools will see this as something evil. Thus, the original poster's comment.

Darwing

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2009
how can they do this? if you purchase a product, it is yours, no longer theirs, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

Example: I buy a PC, then I want to install whatever I want on it.. Microsoft isnt going to come after me for installing 3rd party software!

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Apple Introduces Technology That Can Be Used for Spying etc

Yesterday, Apple Computer Corp. announced that it was making standard technology that could ultimately be used to allow Apple to monitor and possibly even gain control of a users computing device. This technology, that Apple representatives claim is designed to enrich the user experience, nevertheless has some pundits worried that it can be used by Apple to "further exert unwanted control over devices that have been rightfully purchased by a user". This technology, which Apple refers to as "tcp/ip access to the internet", would allow users to access information from Apple Computer (amongst others), but, could also be use to allow Apple Computer to access a users computer without their knowledge. Some pundits are demanding that Apple omit any such technology that could allow for such an invasion of privacy. Users expressed their outrage, one user stated, "How could they do this, I purchased the hardware, I should be able to do whatever I want with it". When asked how their objection related to the technology at hand, the user replied "it's just another example of Steve Jobs wanting to take over the world, that's how".

markcres

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2006
UK
you, sir/madam, are a f________________________t.

Fill in the blanks as you please.

Don't you ever think you could have a life without your nose being firmly up Steve Job's backside ?

I bet you walk about with a black sweater and jeans just to emulate your 'Dear leader' !!

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
This used to be apple
1984a.png

This is now apple.
1984b.png

So now apple is not only dictating what applications that can be sold, they may employ a policy that they will remotely kill an iPhone because it has applications that they have not employed.

Way to go apple, that's one great way to win consumers.

I know it helps immature males to feel brave by using Android, and it's an important part of Google's marketing to make people feel that Steve Jobs is a totalitarian -- and thank you for the stupid picture of the 1984 ad, it's so frigthening-- but get a life, please. Now, with the stolen MacBook stories, haven't people actually caught thieves when they took their pictures? And the GPS told everyone where they were? All this is, obviously, is a continuation of the "Where's my iPhone" software. Now, you would be able to tell if someone like Gizmodo has stolen your iPhone.

Since the Library of Congress determined that jailbreaking is legal, if Apple, or anyone else like Motorola or Verizon, bricks a phone because you jailbreak it, you could file suit against them and win a cash settlement. So this is obviously an anti-theft device, not any of your tiny little paranoid dreams of Daddy Jobs.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
DylanLikesTrolling for money

Apple is the becoming the evil monopolist that Microsoft never was. Apple innovated on making the user experience better, but this effort does not reflect that goal. This is bad news for everyone.

My guess is that there's about a 70% chance that Google is paying you to post negative comments about Apple. 20% that it's Microsoft, 10% that it's Nokia.

But hey, if you're gonna troll, you might as well get paid for it, right?

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
Yesterday, Apple Computer Corp. announced that it was making standard technology that could ultimately be used to allow Apple to monitor and possibly even gain control of a users computing device. This technology, that Apple representatives claim is designed to enrich the user experience, nevertheless has some pundits worried that it can be used by Apple to "further exert unwanted control over devices that have been rightfully purchased by a user". This technology, which Apple refers to as "tcp/ip access to the internet", would allow users to access information from Apple Computer (amongst others), but, could also be use to allow Apple Computer to access a users computer without their knowledge. Some pundits are demanding that Apple omit any such technology that could allow for such an invasion of privacy. Users expressed their outrage, one user stated, "How could they do this, I purchased the hardware, I should be able to do whatever I want with it". When asked how their objection related to the technology at hand, the user replied "it's just another example of Steve Jobs wanting to take over the world, that's how".

Oh, frightening. And completely unreal! Hey, if you are so concerned about monster corporations, take a look in Eric Schmidt's diapers.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
how can they do this? if you purchase a product, it is yours, no longer theirs, you should be able to do whatever you want with it.

Example: I buy a PC, then I want to install whatever I want on it.. Microsoft isnt going to come after me for installing 3rd party software!

The answer is, they can't shut down your jailbroken phone, just refuse to repair it. So all these google-inspired opium dreams of what evil monsters Apple is are completely idiotic. It's clearly anti-theft. You don't want anyone stealing your Droid, do you?

OnTheZone

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2009
JAT I have jailbreaked my iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 and was never worth it and never felt like apple products.

derek4484

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2010
Tell me again, who's iPhone it is...

Hey, Steve.... Would you kindly tell me again who bought and paid for my iPhone...

Ohhhh thats right, it was me! And I seem to recall that the Library of Congress said I had the right to jailbreak my phone any time I feel like it.

I fail to see where Steve gets off telling me what software I am allowed to run on MY iphone.

Mike84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Hey, Steve.... Would you kindly tell me again who bought and paid for my iPhone...

Ohhhh thats right, it was me! And I seem to recall that the LIBRARIAN of Congress and the Copyright Office said I had the right to jailbreak my phone any time I feel like it.

I fail to see where Steve gets off telling me what software I am allowed to run on MY iphone.

Fixed that for you.

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/us-government-jailbreaking-iphone-legal/story?id=11254253

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Yes you do fail

... I fail to see where Steve gets off telling me what software I am allowed to run on MY iphone.

Why don't you ask DirecTV why their dishes don't receive Comcast movies? I'm sure they'd be as happy as we are to tell you go blow up your pants.

Now run along and make us all proud by spewing some phony outrage on http://www.directvrumors.com instead of here. And tell your mom we all say "hi."

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands

At the end of the nineteenth century a German manufacturer introduced a technology that would turn into a means of killing and maiming people to the thousands. Since then, millions and millions have been killed or maimed and this still continues to this very day. Some pundits are demanding that something is done about this. "How could they do this, why do governments allow this to keep this going on?". The name of this killing device is the automobile.....

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007

Ohhhh thats right, it was me! And I seem to recall that the Library of Congress said I had the right to jailbreak my phone any time I feel like it.

Actually AT&T paid for 2/3rds of your iphone. So by that logic, AT&T should have more say in that they do with your phone than you (unless of course you are not in the US or you bought an unlocked phone). But the gist still stands.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I for one,

am not really concerned.

As for this "patent" I think it might be hard to get, but they are most likely working it (and possibly arguably so) from the security standpoint. Apple REALLY wants to get deeper into the corporate / enterprise sector. Remote kill and remote wipe were KEY to that adoption for security options if devices are lost or misplaced or stolen. If someone jailbreaks and HACKS an iphone, one of the options available is to DISABLE the REMOTE KILL / REMOTE WIPE functionality that either the user/security admin/apple has. If that is turned OFF, then the ability to protect corp data, contacts, emails etc. is eliminated. They simply HAVE to have a back door in place to be able to offer a closed loop security solution to corporations should they want/demand it.

As for the general user, I see NO risk in this at all per the recent ruling and even WITHOUT the recent ruling.

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
To the "Apple is Big Brother" fools

This FUD line, that Apple will shut down your jailbroken phones, is like the political "controversies" we've had this summer. The community center two and a half blocks away from where the twin towers stood, right near the strip club and the souvenir vendors in Lower Manhattan, have been blown up into an al Qaeda barracks, without regard for the facts. It takes off among the credulous, and is being boosted by some really nasty people retailing a lie for political and economic gain.

If ANYONE is monopolistic, it is Google, dumping their OS on a number of manufacturers for free, and thus locking out all competitors, who don't have a gargantuan, privacy-mining advertising business -- and a cut with the manufacturers of all the Google ads on their Droids and HTCs. Will they allow iAds on their platform, huh? Bet they won't. All those Flash ads can sort of be seen. Wow, that must make you happy.

Jailbreaking as ownership. Wow. A dog pees on something, it's their territory. Smart.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Apple reserves the right to stop the users heartbeat should it detect an unauthorised device.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
JAT I have jailbreaked my iPhone 3G, 3GS, and 4 and was never worth it and never felt like apple products.

Point is that jailbreaking removes what software they/you want to remove. That would almost certainly include something that could disable the phone because of jailbreaking. If you have been jailbreaking without understanding what it does...well, that's not recommended. You didn't use SSH with the default password, did you?

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
If you don't like Apple... STOP USING THEIR PRODUCTS :)... that will send them a message :) Bitching about it and developing conspiracy hypothesis about Apple is kinda waste of energy...

Don't forget that Apple is a commercial company and it is here to MAKE A PROFIT! RIM people would LOVE to be in APPLE's shoes and they will probably be doing the same thing if they have their act together.

So basically, if you don't like Apple... stop buying their products!!!

Unfortunately its not that easy.

No, actually it is really that easy. Until we no longer have a free market this is how change happens. Whining on a forum is not going to change the mind of Apple, Microsoft, Adobe, or any other large freight train corporation. They look at numbers, that is all. That is why I stopped using the iPhone. I loved the device, but hate the provider. Did my choice sway the opinion of Apple? Probably not by itself, but it had a better shot than bashing them on a forum. Now when you add my decision combined with others, it might actually add up to something that Apple would feel in their bottom line. Especially when they look at the competition (Android). We will find out if it worked around the first of next year.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
I don't see this every happening unless it is part of the MobileMe lost phone hoopla.

If it does happen, someone will find a way to jailbreak and remove or patch that part of the OS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.