Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
For many iPhone users, a 4" screen trades off a smaller screen for improved portability and ease of one-handed use. In my case, these 4" benefits are crucial to my enjoyment of iPhone use. It will be most disappointing if Apple elects to not offer an updated 4" offering in its iPhone line-up.

Well, be disappointed cuz it's not gonna happen. No reason for them to. Their current lineup is the most successful-selling iPhones in history. Why go backward to satisfy a small bunch? It's not worth the production costs.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Well, be disappointed cuz it's not gonna happen. No reason for them to. Their current lineup is the most successful-selling iPhones in history. Why go backward to satisfy a small bunch? It's not worth the production costs.

If your kind of thinking made sense, everyone would be driving around in giant SUVs. There are tradeoffs for bigger screens and they're not always worth it. What good is a giant screen if you can't use it?

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA

Nailed it in one.

4" screens are gone, never to be seen again except in the realm of super cheap Wal-Mart phones. They don't sell well and advertise even worse.

It's not a coincidence that the smallest phone I could find on the Android side was the 4.3" screened Droid Mini and the smallest actual flagship is the 5.2" Moto X.

If I had to wager where the limit will be? The Nexus 6 is gonna prove the barrier. It's not about one-handed operations, but now it's about just how portable the thing is. I wouldn't be surprised if, eventually, the concept of the "phone" will vanish and it will just come down to what size device you want.

With a bluetooth headset and a smartwatch, you could basically have an iPad Air as a "phone" without running into the usual awkwardness.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Nailed it in one.

4" screens are gone, never to be seen again except in the realm of super cheap Wal-Mart phones. They don't sell well and advertise even worse.

The iPhone was still selling very well before Apple released the 6 and 6+ and it would most likely have continued selling well even if apple hadn't changed the screen size.

SomeGuyDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
NEPA
The iPhone was still selling very well before Apple released the 6 and 6+ and it would most likely have continued selling well even if apple hadn't changed the screen size.

That's because it was the newest iPhone and, at the time, there WASN'T a bigger one available. Look over on the Android side of things where there are devices of all sizes and see how well small phones do.

----------

If your kind of thinking made sense, everyone would be driving around in giant SUVs. There are tradeoffs for bigger screens and they're not always worth it. What good is a giant screen if you can't use it?

That is an atrocious analogy for several reasons. Fuel economy is a huge concern with cars and not a factor in phones. A compact car costs FAR less than a huge SUV whereas the price difference here is minuscule. The operation of cars is through physical space and thus size can be a problem. We're talking about a phone that sits in your hand.

If we were arguing a 4" iPhone against, say, a 25" iPhone that cost four times as much and we had to pay a monthly cost per pixel then I could see your point. A phone that huge would be seriously unwieldy and prohibitively expensive. But that's not what this is.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
That's because it was the newest iPhone and, at the time, there WASN'T a bigger one available. Look over on the Android side of things where there are devices of all sizes and see how well small phones do.

Where are the high end small phones? Most android makers don't give that as an option. Sony is the only one that I know of where the compact version has similar specs to the larger ones, and even there they made the Z3 compact pretty big so there isn't really that choice on android right now. That said I wouldn't be surprised if android makers decide to go and fill the gap that Apple left by moving to all big screens.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
That is an atrocious analogy for several reasons. Fuel economy is a huge concern with cars and not a factor in phones. A compact car costs FAR less than a huge SUV whereas the price difference here is minuscule. The operation of cars is through physical space and thus size can be a problem. We're talking about a phone that sits in your hand.

If we were arguing a 4" iPhone against, say, a 25" iPhone that cost four times as much and we had to pay a monthly cost per pixel then I could see your point. A phone that huge would be seriously unwieldy and prohibitively expensive. But that's not what this is.

Except these giant phones DON'T sit in your hand. That's the whole point. They are unwieldy. When I'm on the go I don't want to have some big slippery phone that I have to baby with two hands to use. I want something I can grip securely, get what I need to do done, and get going. I want a mobile device, not a small device.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008

----------

Nope, I am thinking of size and utility, not cost when I made that comparisons. I am thinking of the people who drive upscales cars where switching to a smaller car tends to mean a more expensive model. Gas cost is not their concern.

Somehow I get the feeling that many people who responded to this thread seemed to be threatened by the thought of a 4" iPhone in the future. I don't get it. If I were Apple, noticing that the human race are not evolving larger hands fast enough to keep up with larger phone sizes, and that there are millions of people who would love a choice of a 4" iPhone, I would add that choice to my line up. Why not give your customers what they want?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Somehow I get the feeling that many people who responded to this thread seemed to be threatened by the thought of a 4" iPhone in the future. I don't get it. If I were Apple, noticing that the human race are not evolving larger hands fast enough to keep up with larger phone sizes, and that there are millions of people who would love a choice of a 4" iPhone, I would add that choice to my line up. Why not give your customers what they want?

I think a lot of it is that at least for the ones who think beyond the idea that Apple can do no wrong so whatever they offer today is perfect, they recognize apple's pattern of giving very limited choice and they worry that a reintroduction of a 4" phone means one of the giant phones goes away.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I'm so used to the size of my 6 Plus, that my Moto X (4.7") feels way too small. Then again, Moto did an amazing job of putting a 4.7" screen in such a small device. The iPhone 6 (4.7") is much bigger in the hands.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States

I'm not having any problem using my "giant screen" on my 6+. And it seems to be that most people with a 6+ a very satisfied. Has nothing to do with my type of thinking. I'm letting you know that's the reality of it. Apple sees this phone as being its most successful-selling phone. Many people have spoken and wanted it. No point in going to a smaller screen again. It's a step backwards.

----------

Except these giant phones DON'T sit in your hand. That's the whole point. They are unwieldy. When I'm on the go I don't want to have some big slippery phone that I have to baby with two hands to use. I want something I can grip securely, get what I need to do done, and get going. I want a mobile device, not a small device.

Nice try, I have no problem holding my iPhone 6+ with the Apple leather case. It's very slim and hugs the phone. It adds zero bulk to the phone. It's not slippery at all. It has plenty of grip. Maybe you have small hands because most people have not said the 6plus can't sit in their hand. Well there goes your argument.

----------

I think a lot of it is that at least for the ones who think beyond the idea that Apple can do no wrong so whatever they offer today is perfect, they recognize apple's pattern of giving very limited choice and they worry that a reintroduction of a 4" phone means one of the giant phones goes away.

I don't think anybody has been thinking that but you. In fact I've never heard anyone say that. I'm looking at this from a business aspect. You're looking at this from a personal aspect. The new iPhone 6/6plus's are the most successful selling phone the Apple has ever had. If they bother to make a 4 inch screen with high-end specs it might end up just sitting on the shelves.

----------

Somehow I get the feeling that many people who responded to this thread seemed to be threatened by the thought of a 4" iPhone in the future.
Very silly thing to say. The fact that you brought that up sounds like you're the one that's more threatened the Apple will be influenced by customer's feedback that don't care for another 4 inch phone.

I don't get it. If I were Apple......

And many thanks that you are not. :)

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Nice try, I have no problem holding my iPhone 6+ with the Apple leather case. It's very slim and hugs the phone. It adds zero bulk to the phone. It's not slippery at all. It has plenty of grip. Maybe you have small hands because most people have not said the 6plus can't sit in their hand. Well there goes your argument.

Maybe you just have freakishly giant hands. I want a normal-sized phone that I can grip securely, operate with one hand, and not strain my fingers to use.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
I'm not having any problem using my "giant screen" on my 6+. And it seems to be that most people with a 6+ a very satisfied. Has nothing to do with my type of thinking. I'm letting you know that's the reality of it. Apple sees this phone as being its most successful-selling phone. Many people have spoken and wanted it. No point in going to a smaller screen again. It's a step backwards.

Very silly thing to say. The fact that you brought that up sounds like you're the one that's more threatened the Apple will be influenced by customer's feedback that don't care for another 4 inch phone.

And many thanks that you are not. :)

Well, I think you misunderstood me. I love my 4.7" iPhone 6. I have no interest in buying another phone with a 4" screen.

I do however empathize with people who lamented the lack of a new 4" model for this round of upgrade. I don't see any good business reason for Apple to not offer these people a choice in the future.

We all are speculating because we have no idea what the potential marketshare is like for those who wants a 4" phone. If the number is more than a few millions, then it makes a lot of sense to offer a 4" model.

If you like the size of the 6 and the 6+, does it bother you if Apple offers a 4" in the future? If so, why?

K-Funk

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2007
I don't think Apple has an incentive to offer a smaller phone because the vast majority of people clamoring for a 4" phone will give in and get the 4.7" if it's the only iPhone available.

golftime

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2013
Northeast
There has been speculation that Apple may keep the current 4.7 inch screen with smaller bezels and therefore a smaller footprint, for best of both worlds between the 5 and 6.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
The iPhone is Apple's bread and butter. There will always be a demand for the 4" screen phone. Apple will continue to offer this size phone, they will not give up those sales.

The demand isn't big enough to justify the development of a new 4" sized iPhone. The trend is to larger screens. If you belong to the 4" minority... You'll have to change to other manufacturers with 4" offerings sooner or later then. The 4" iPhone isn't coming back.

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
I asked for my son's iPhone 5 to put an app on it and I could not believe how small it felt after using the 6+ for so long. Felt like a tiny little toy.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
The demand isn't big enough to justify the development of a new 4" sized iPhone. The trend is to larger screens. If you belong to the 4" minority... You'll have to change to other manufacturers with 4" offerings sooner or later then. The 4" iPhone isn't coming back.

How do you know?

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Maybe you just have freakishly giant hands. I want a normal-sized phone that I can grip securely, operate with one hand, and not strain my fingers to use.

Then maybe a lot of women on YouTube have freakishly giant hands. There are a few women that apprently have no problem holding their iPhone 6+. For them to do a video on YouTube to show people how easy it is to hold in their hands says a lot. Maybe it's you that has freakishly small hands. :p

It's a very normal sized phone. Maybe you forgot about the enormous cellular phones from yesteryear or the super sized cordless phones from back in the day. Or maybe you're just complaining because you're in the minority. Yeah, that's it.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Well, I think you misunderstood me. I love my 4.7" iPhone 6. I have no interest in buying another phone with a 4" screen.

I do however empathize with people who lamented the lack of a new 4" model for this round of upgrade. I don't see any good business reason for Apple to not offer these people a choice in the future.

We all are speculating because we have no idea what the potential marketshare is like for those who wants a 4" phone. If the number is more than a few millions, then it makes a lot of sense to offer a 4" model.

If you like the size of the 6 and the 6+, does it bother you if Apple offers a 4" in the future? If so, why?

I couldn't care less what Apple makes to be honest. Nobody is threatened of a 4 inch phone here, that's an absolutely silly thing to say and pouty thinking. The problem is some people here think on a personal level. I always think on a business level. The fact remains that Apple had become stagnant on their iPhones the last few years.

They were hell-bent on making a larger screen. They finally decided to listen to their customers who asked for a larger screen and the sales have gone ridiculously crazy. That's a fact. There's no speculation. That's truth enough to show you that people do not necessarily want a small phone from Apple. Nobody here is saying the Apple should continually make bigger screens to the size of an iPad but people are saying that a 4" screen is a step backwards and there's just no point in doing it because it doesn't make good business sense. Recent sales haveriven so. The business was very slow during the years of the iPhone 4s and 5s.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Last edited:

Joelist

macrumors 6502
Jan 28, 2014
Illinois
I find the 4.7 on the 6 perfect. The 5S screen was too narrow for fast and accurate typing and the extra width on the 6 is a huge help. Plus the color calibration is far better with everything looking a lot more realistic.

eatrains

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2006
Then maybe a lot of women on YouTube have freakishly giant hands. There are a few women that apprently have no problem holding their iPhone 6+. For them to do a video on YouTube to show people how easy it is to hold in their hands says a lot. Maybe it's you that has freakishly small hands. :p

It's a very normal sized phone. Maybe you forgot about the enormous cellular phones from yesteryear or the super sized cordless phones from back in the day. Or maybe you're just complaining because you're in the minority. Yeah, that's it.

I could hold a MacBook in my hand. Does that make it a good experience? No. Can I grip the iPhone 6 securely with one hand while walking down the street? No. Can I use it with one hand while the other is holding on to the subway pole? No. Maybe you only use your phone while sitting in a chair, which is fine and you can use two hands easily. But as a mobile device? The iPhone 6 just doesn't cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
I could hold a MacBook in my hand. Does that make it a good experience? No. Can I grip the iPhone 6 securely with one hand while walking down the street? No. Can I use it with one hand while the other is holding on to the subway pole? No. Maybe you only use your phone while sitting in a chair, which is fine and you can use two hands easily. But as a mobile device? The iPhone 6 just doesn't cut it.

Then you have very small hands. Its easy to grip. Its a nice fit and feel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.