Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inkswamp

macrumors 68030
Jan 26, 2003
No argument that Jonathan Ive is a design genius and visionary but, man oh man, does he come off unthinkably pretentious in these videos. They really need to scale back his time in these promos and give more time to Craig Federighi or Eddie Cue, both of whom come off like regular guys you can relate to. I understand that Ive lives and breathes design and gets this stuff on a level most of us can't even begin to fathom, but between the posh British accent and his word choice, Ive just comes off as completely up his own a** in these promos.

devsfan1830

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2011
VA
I wonder if the NSA will 'request' Apple's database of fingerprints one day... a nice gimmick but no thanks

Clearly you skipped the videos and/or cant understand english. There is no database. Prints are stored in memory on the A7 and is accessibly only to the sensor. No iCloud backup, no other apps can use it.

Also, i really doubt the NSA needs any of that. They likely already have it if you've ever been fingerprinted, and theres likely more useful info on your facebook page than just some finger print.

Kenr21

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2013
I wonder if the new phones will support rSAP? It would be good to be able to use my Audi A7 "phone prep - high" as nature (OK Audi) intended. I can connect using "hands free" profile, but this doesn't let me connect to Google Earth. It has to be rSAP.
I can feel a Galaxy S4 in my future:)

Tysknaden

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2013
Again - No.

Okay you're getting hung up on semantics. Cheapest price possible for Apple. They're not going to sell you a phone at cost. They need to maintain their profit margins. These margins tend to be a bit higher than some other manufactures but that's because of the "Apple premium." You're paying for their ecosystem. And to a lesser extent their design and status.

If you don't want hardware and software to integrate together in a beautiful package then go buy a Samesung.

- "Not selling at cost?" What are you writing about? Their profit margins are shameless!
- I have to pay for usage of their ecosystem. It is part of their profit. And sometimes I feel like a hostage.
- Beautiful package? Must be destillated beauty :)

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
So yeah, when Johnny talking up about plastic as if it's an expensive, intricate and charming material, I guess it's really time to laugh.

The first 3 iPhones were plastic and no one complained. I really think plastic can look nice and be charming, it just has a bad rep for being so abundant and cheap, the main reason it's so cheap is because it's so useful, functional and in demand.

Pyrrhic Victory

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2012
That's incidental. He's not wearing those clothes to show off chest hair, but because they are plain, minimalist clothes without ornamentation, to go with his minimalist hair style -- as someone whose life goal is reduction, reduction and reduction might be expected to do.

Enjoy it while it lasts, because in 5 years he'll have shortened his name to "JnIv" and he'll be appearing nude in the videos, with shaved body hair and shaved eyebrows.

A "minimalist hair style" would involve a minimal amount of chest hair, no?

leon44

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I did notice that under Steve, Jony would maybe appear in a video every other year, for the big deal products, and you can see why right here.
He's the engine behind Apple now, but he's a bit over exposed, these philosophical design moments need to be reserved for when they can appear sincere and justified.

Semester

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2011
EPIC FAIL for Ming Chi Kuo who "expects the so-called "iPhone 5C" to cost between $400 and $500 without a contract subsidy"

Macrumors should stop quoting this guy as a primary source of rumors :rolleyes:

Come on, he got pretty much everything else right, such as 4S staying in the line-up and low yields on 5S. Who else had that before him?
And he was closer to the right price than most other analysts. 10% off isn't too bad, especially when some analysts where almost 50% off the mark.

ElTorro

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
No argument that Jonathan Ive is a design genius and visionary but, man oh man, does he come off unthinkably pretentious in these videos. They really need to scale back his time in these promos and give more time to Craig Federighi or Eddie Cue, both of whom come off like regular guys you can relate to. I understand that Ive lives and breathes design and gets this stuff on a level most of us can't even begin to fathom, but between the posh British accent and his word choice, Ive just comes off as completely up his own a** in these promos.

Exactly. It was bad enough for the first iPhone and it is getting worse. It's getting embarrassing.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
A "minimalist hair style" would involve a minimal amount of chest hair, no?
It's not chest hair. It's a lush, dense microfiber lining of the soft, matte silicon layer which circumferes the chamfered edges of the machine polished glossy hard-coat finish of the chest area, counterpointing the surrealism of the underlying metaphor innately magicalized through the indelibly and irrevocably V-shaped neck of the T-shirt, notwithstanding its dense, silky, ectoplasmic fabric which appears to float above the... whatever, fine, it's chest hair.

NumberNine

macrumors regular
May 12, 2011
Typical nonsense from Jony. Say a lot of nothing with a bunch of words.

These videos are so tired.

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Typical nonsense from Jony. Say a lot of nothing with a bunch of words.

These videos are so tired.
Yeah, they need to rethink the way they present themselves and the products through those videos. Ive et al against white background may have been Empire Strikes Back when they started with the concept, but now they're Phantom Menace.

Gym Hellwig

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2013
They should have just kept the iPhone 5 and lowered the price. The 5C is a big bag of hurt, as Stevie J used to say.

yachiru

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2013
Germany
What really bothers me is that they discontinued the iPhone 5, which i currently own. Will it get iOS8 support, because I'm planning to keep this phone for a loooong time.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
The 5c is going to be the best selling IPhone by miles .

It will end up selling well just because. Yet the iPhone 5 should be in this place as they are the same thing. Such a cheap move.

Yes, JI is still my favorite Apple guy... but they gotta drop this ridiculous pandering and just be REAL. All of the speakers come across way too polished and cheesy with their stupid jokes and forced dialog. Just speak normal fer Christ Sakes. If I wanted to watch people talk phony into a camera, I'd put on re-runs of American Chopper (or any other reality TV show).

Agreed. It just feels off, it was always a bit much and now it is just too much. It's a plastic phone, you have done that before, you are charging the same price a metal phone would cost. There is nothing magical about it other then trying to make even more money. Tone down the cheese factor.

"It's simpler, more essential..."

"More essential"? Is Jony Ive parodying himself now?

Kind of feels that way.

Its amazing how many of these FanDroids consider a bigger screen as an innovation. As if it takes some kind of incredible genius to stuff a huge screen into something that's supposed to fit in your pocket...

Not really innovation, just useful and options are always nice t have.

(cargo pants)

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
- "Not selling at cost?" What are you writing about? Their profit margins are shameless!
- I have to pay for usage of their ecosystem. It is part of their profit. And sometimes I feel like a hostage.
- Beautiful package? Must be destillated beauty :)

Shameless profits? The corporate world isn't altruistic my friend. Companies sell their products at the highest price possible to maximize returns. If Samesung could sell their S4 for 1000.00 they would in a heartbeat...

No one is making you use their ecosystem. If you don't like Apple's prices then switch to something else. I for one value Apple's "whole-package" products so I will continue to buy them even at their "shameless"ly high prices.

TTile

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2013
Yes, I demand innovation!

Do you know a guy named Steve Jobs? He said that without innovation Apple dies...

And that is what almost happened to Apple when Steve was not there...
Well, he came back (SJ), sorted out things, and was extremely successful.

Now he is gone...

Apple turned into what it is today because of the iPod. And the genius to use a small harddrive in a mp3 player was not Steve's (look into the history). That product turned Apple into a "hip" company versus one only admired by diehard Apple lovers. Without the iPod to change their image they would be nothing they are today.

Steve gets way more credit than he deserves for what Apple is today. A CEO is merely the highest manager. The CEO hires the people like Ive, etc and then these people hire their teams who actually develop the products. Steve obviously could have input but the bulk of the work and development was not done by him.

These same teams are by and large the same as they were when Steve was around. Cook recently made some shifts in these managers but I think most people would argue they are going to be positive for the company. In 5-10 years the company may shift from Cook's leadership but not in the short term.

J71

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2008
Norman
Year 2019:

Introducing the iPhone 11S with Retina scanners and holographic projection, full voice navigation, and 2 year battery life.

Due to inflation, it will cost $1299 on contract for the entry 20TB model.

With regards to ROM and the 16GB, 32GB and 64GB standards so prevalent the last few years, we will be lucky to see 1TB by 2019.

donutbagel

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2013
I still hate that as flash is required for sites that still use it. It could have just been an option one can turn on and off. Saying flash is dead does not make using a flash based site any easier. No great love for it, just needed until every site moves to something else.

If Apple had put Flash on iOS, we'd still be stuck with that "monopolyware". It's such a piece of junk that someone had to make everyone switch. I still haven't encountered a Flash-based site in a long time.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
If Apple had put Flash on iOS, we'd still be stuck with that "monopolyware". It's such a piece of junk that someone had to make everyone switch. I still haven't encountered a Flash-based site in a long time.

I do know that flash is not the best format out there and my only issue is that when I need to use something I want it to work. A few places are not moving away from flash yet or anytime soon and I can't wait a decade to use sites I need today. I tried to use Puffin for iPhone and it was questionable yet kind of worked.

At this time I would rather be stuck with something that allowed me to use what I want vs not being able to at all.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
64-bit can bring huge performance improvements depending on your app and how it's coded. For example, how many cycles does it take to multiply two doubles on a 32bit CPU? On a 64-bit? And I guarantee there are lots of iOS developers optimizing for 64-bit right now.

And when they optimize their apps for 64bit A7, it means they only sell to iPhone 5S while the majority of iPhone owner stick with 32 bit.

Ain't no smart thing to do for limiting your product to such a small market. To gain most of the masses you need to build for 32bit, and eventually A7 will run it too but as a result it does not really taking 64bit advantages at all.

In short, it's a marketing number to gain for the masses. No real world and practical usage. Not until 3 4 years from now when the majority of iPhones uses 64bit CPU.

----------

The first 3 iPhones were plastic and no one complained. I really think plastic can look nice and be charming, it just has a bad rep for being so abundant and cheap, the main reason it's so cheap is because it's so useful, functional and in demand.

And so did 3G and 3GS, even Macbook White has so many cracking problems, so many scratches and decoloration.

And so did Steve Jobs decided to replace the backplate with glass on iPhone 4 as it does not scratched or cracked as easily. Just as Macbook white replaced with Al unibody. Problem solved.

So again, yes, it's true .. They used to be plastic, thank God they were not anymore for some time. But several years later they're back again with plastic.
What's with the downgrade?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Yes, I demand innovation!

Do you know a guy named Steve Jobs? He said that without innovation Apple dies...

And that is what almost happened to Apple when Steve was not there...
Well, he came back (SJ), sorted out things, and was extremely successful.

Now he is gone...

Yes, he is gone. People die. We all will.

In what way do you define innovation? Please don't say that it is as much technology crammed into a square box (preferably large) as possible.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.