Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellowballoon

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2010
For some reason, I get the feeling that iOS 5 is rather temporary until we see the new iPhone4S/5/4G....or whatever they will call it. These features were badly needed for the iPhone and were obviously features that Andriod users were touting for quite some time now.

Is iOS 5 "revolutionary"? Definitely not. Leave it to Apple to make a big hoopla over existing technology. You have to give Apple credit here though...they do know how to put on a show!

What is all comes down to is user experience. This is where Apple still has an advantage, regardless of available features. Apple has such a tremendous advantage over availavle apps, a more user friendly UI and proven reliability.

I know that my iPhone4 does not have as many features, or 4G connectivity like some available Andriod phones, but, I will never trade my user experience and practicality for tech specs. Ever.

Yeah but your user experience is in a box..how can you see when Apple put you in that box, and their "show" as you called it, has you still believing in un-truths?

More friendly UI..certainly your view from inside the Apple box. My opinion? Live Tiles from WP7 and the metro UI is more user friendly.
Proven reliability ? Not sure about Android, but WP7, I never have issues. Again, inside your Apple box, you believe Apple is the only one with these user experiences.

I guess when someone puts on a "show" to hide the real truth.."no new innovations".. just look out back, there is someone with the strings. It's BS.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
copying = irrelevant

Honestly... I don't give two craps about who copies who. I just want the product I use to be better.

Quite frankly, if every company copied (and then built upon) the best ideas of every other company... that would simply create a rapid and progressive evolution towards better products.

Are these changes to ios revolutionary in the sense that they didn't exist before and now Apple invented them? Nope. Are they revolutionary in the sense that it makes Apple's ios products way better? Yes.

I'm not a fanboy of anything... and in fact, I hate fanboys of any type with a passion. But anything that makes an Apple product better is a good thing. And really, anything that makes competing platforms like Android or Windows better is also a good thing, because it should (SHOULD) force Apple into stepping up their game.

Did BMW or Mercedes or Lamborghini or Ferrari invent the combustion engine? Nope. But do they all do amazing things with the combustion engine? Yes.

Unless you are an engineer who works for google or microsoft or apple or samsung or whoever, you don't really have a vested interest in any of these companies. What does it matter which seems the best? Does it help your ego to think you have the best phone or computer? If so... you need to take a serious look at yourself, and at your life.

Buy the product you like. And if you like it, keep it. If you don't like it, get something else. But it doesn't matter who copies who... because EVERY one of these companies copies each other. All the time. What matters is that all of these products are improving and getting better.

Last edited:

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
Yeah but your user experience is in a box..how can you see when Apple put you in that box, and their "show" as you called it, has you still believing in un-truths?

More friendly UI..certainly your view from inside the Apple box. My opinion? Live Tiles from WP7 and the metro UI is more user friendly.
Proven reliability ? Not sure about Android, but WP7, I never have issues. Again, inside your Apple box, you believe Apple is the only one with these user experiences.

I guess when someone puts on a "show" to hide the real truth.."no new innovations".. just look out back, there is someone with the strings. It's BS.

In a box? Get real....WP7 is an infant compared to iOS. Reliability and Windows do not go together, so, don't even try and go there.

What "real truth" are you referring to? Are you some sort of conspiracy theorist? Who is pulling what strings?

So, because you have a different opinion than me, it makes me wrong and you right? Sorry, after being burned for years with Windows products, they lost my business forever.

My wife owns a DriodX, and I do not find it as easy to use as the iPhone. I already said it does things my iPhone cannot, but, I don't care. I'm not a tech geek and could care less about tech specs. I want a phone that works right and does what I want it to do. The iPhone does that, for me.

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
Everyone and their mother bitched so much about the 'flawed' notifications of iOS, but now that I have installed the beta, my empty Notification Center widget looks so lame... :eek:

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo

...Says someone who never got out of the "Windows", "Office" and "Internet Explorer" boxes, I guess?

ranReloaded

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Tokyo
Hopefully iOS 5 won't do to the 3GS what iOS 4 did to the 3G.

My experience is:

iOS 5 doesn't do to the 3GS what iOS 4.2+ did to the 3GS.

Before today, entering/exiting "icon rearrange mode" would take 2-3 seconds on my 3GS. Now the beta solved it.

Of course, other people I know with a 3GS didn't have the issue to begin with...

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
My experience is:

iOS 5 doesn't do to the 3GS what iOS 4.2+ did to the 3GS.

Before today, entering/exiting "icon rearrange mode" would take 2-3 seconds on my 3GS. Now the beta solved it.

Of course, other people I know with a 3GS didn't have the issue to begin with...

Are you a developer?

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
...Says someone who never got out of the "Windows", "Office" and "Internet Explorer" boxes, I guess?

Looks like Apple's box wasn't working as planned so they needed to take a few corners from Blackberry and Android. I'm sure Steve, the Pot, and the Kettle had a great lunch meeting talking about iOS "Notification Center".

mcmlxix

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2009
Did anyone notice that they didn't change the iOS UI? Wasn’t that one of the biggest expectations (besides notifications) in this forum?

On another note, I’m most pleased that Camera can be accessed from the lock screen and there is now a “real” shutter button.

Azathoth

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2009
Nope, not at all. I don't want a phone that last barely a day and having to rely on task managers.

Pure FUD - half of my office use Android phones, without task managers and they last as long as their iPhone counterparts (e.g. around 24-30hours with moderate usage, or 12hours when making a lot of calls.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2007
Wow. That was fun. I can not wait for iOS 5. I loved notifications and iMessaging.

Fall seems so far. Le sigh.

If you had gotten an Android phone, you would have had them for a long time.

Widgets, too.

Apple copied these wholesale from Android.

If Google was like Apple, there would have been a lawsuit filed already....

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
If you had gotten an Android phone, you would have had them for a long time.

Widgets, too.

Apple copied these wholesale from Android.

If Google was like Apple, there would have been a lawsuit filed already....

Right, because widgets had never been heard of before Android right?

ph00ny

macrumors member
May 28, 2011
And a sucktastic user experience, to boot. :eek:

Really? When, exactly, did Apple sue Google??? Or did you make that up, just now? :p

I thought that's what apple was doing by going after every android handset manufacturer one by one

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
I've been hearing the 'LOL APPLE THE NEW MICROSOFT' line for the past 10 years.. what the ****ing hell is it supposed to mean? You're pathetic.

You would have bitched if they didn't add the features. You bitch when they add them. Pretty much every modern ****ing mobile OS in existence was based on the original iOS. How many possible way can notifications be created in a way that is logical and useable on a 3.5in screen? How would Apple has done them in an 'original' way, in which you would have been pleased? If they were in a random language and holographic? Or if you had to invoke a 7 finger gesture to invoke them? Stop your trolling. Not every new addition can be OMFG THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE BY ANYONE.

Every modern mobile OS based on iOS!? Well, maybe Android to some extent, but Symbian has been along for alot longer than iOS and, in all it's crappiness, doesn't work anything like iOS. WebOS is not like iOS at all, and Windows Phone used, until recently, the same UI it had before iOS, and when it recently was overhauled it took a radically different approach.
The "how many ways can this and that be done"-argument that you usually hear from Android fans, I hope you remember it the next time you feel the urge to bash Samsung for copying iOS' "unique" icon grid design.

As for the "copycats" thing. IIRC, it was told in context of the iPad (in reference to 2010 being "Year of the iPad") -- not iOS, and not iPhone, and certainly not specifically about the Notifications system in Android.

I recall Apple was talking about tablets and others copying their form factor back then.

Context is important here.

Actually I think that was just a specific comment aimed for the Samsung tablet, but they didn't want to name names...

Apple has been using the term 'copycats' about their competitors all the time, in all contexts. And why would your point matter anyway? It's not ok to accuse someone of being a copycat in regards to a particular product if you're just as bad of a copycat yourself with another product.

It was never about what...it is about the how. The iPod wasn't the first mp3 player and the iPhone wasn't the first smartphone.

That every one elses implementation wasn't any good is juts a subjective opinion and meaningless when discussing who invented something.

In a box? Get real....WP7 is an infant compared to iOS. Reliability and Windows do not go together, so, don't even try and go there.

What "real truth" are you referring to? Are you some sort of conspiracy theorist? Who is pulling what strings?

So, because you have a different opinion than me, it makes me wrong and you right? Sorry, after being burned for years with Windows products, they lost my business forever.

My wife owns a DriodX, and I do not find it as easy to use as the iPhone. I already said it does things my iPhone cannot, but, I don't care. I'm not a tech geek and could care less about tech specs. I want a phone that works right and does what I want it to do. The iPhone does that, for me.

I bet you have zero experience with WP7, probably same with W7

maclaptop

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2011
Western Hemisphere
" NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- When Apple CEO Steve Jobs unveiled the new iCloud service and updates to the iPhone, iPad and Macintosh software on Monday, most of the new features sounded, well, familiar.

Many of the newly announced tools in Mac OS X Lion, iOS 5 and iCloud already existed for Mac, iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch users in the form of downloadable third-party applications from Apple's App Store. "

Yep, no sooner does Apple unleash it's Pit Bull Legal Team on Samsung, then the King Of Hypocrites spends yesterday showing off all the ideas APPLE STOLE from developers contributing to the app store.

What a game Apples running. John Gotti would be proud :)

http://is.gd/yI2t78

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Every modern mobile OS based on iOS!? Well, maybe Android to some extent, but Symbian has been along for alot longer than iOS and, in all it's crappiness, doesn't work anything like iOS. WebOS is not like iOS at all, and Windows Phone used, until recently, the same UI it had before iOS, and when it recently was overhauled it took a radically different approach.

He did say modern...Symbian is a has been, so is the OLD windows mobile you mentioned. WebOS would not exist if not for iOS.

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
There are 100 million iOS devices out there compared to how many Android/Wp7 ones? Remember every iOS devices is gold and most Android/Wp7 is junk.

Aviboy97

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2011
Pennsylvania
I bet you have zero experience with WP7 said:
Why would I bother with WP7? A poor selling, late to the market appliance designed by a company with a history of producing sub-par operating systems. Granted, it has gotten decent reviews, but, I will not give Mr. Gates a single penny if I can help it.

I use W7 and home and work, and not by choice. Is there anything else you would like to claim you know about me?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.