Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Here is a random question.

For the messaging center, does anyone know/have theories on whether you'll need a texting plan or not? I can't imagine Verizon or AT&T would be happy if you don't need one.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
Why would I bother with WP7? A poor selling, late to the market appliance designed by a company with a history of producing sub-par operating systems. Granted, it has gotten decent reviews, but, I will not give Mr. Gates a single penny if I can help it.

I use W7 and home and work, and not by choice. Is there anything else you would like to claim you know about me?

Well I certainly know that you're a person who like to claim to know things based on your own assumptions and state it as fact

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
For me, it's not that big of a deal if you are invested in the Apple eco-system, these things were bound to come out sooner or later. I think the biggest announcement was the introduction of iMessage because this potentially changes the smartphone space, specifically how damaging this could be to RIM. If you didn't think RIM could recover previous to the announcement, you know have reason to believe that they won't. With Windows Phone not doing too well and RIM at a standstill, it really has become a race between Google and Apple.

Then you DON'T understand anything about RIM and their BBM/PIN messaging system at all.

YES Apple is getting smarter and stronger with iMessage (specifically giving you the time of day during the reply), Mail - specifically ability to:

1) FLAG messages (a HUGE use for my in the corporate space on my BB where I support 300 users in office, and 5000 remotely via BES administration - I'm not the admin).
2) Remote Mailbox searching.

What you DON'T know is that BBM can share a Calendar within (nothing initially created in the cloud or by a service provider other than RIM's NOC), share pictures/videos within - specifically storing them on device associated with that BBM app, not just in the message history like what Apple showed and no chance to confuse which pictures/videos are yours or which are shared via BBM. Oh and changing the message topic can be done, not yet on iOS. Sure these maybe happening in iOS5.x or iOS6 but its NOT here NOW ... so RIM will do just fine in the corporate space, and these features are not ground breaking by Apple; greatly welcomed though as I use IP4 and love it.

Another thing that RIM's BB support in the corporate world is remote file access (on corporate PC/Server) ... something that iOS devices don't offer natively - yet work MUCH better with 3rd party apps if on the WLAN/VPN connected.

Don't forget that RIM is a customer of Apple, licensing ability to sync with iTunes directly.

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Every modern mobile OS based on iOS!? Well, maybe Android to some extent, but Symbian has been along for alot longer than iOS and, in all it's crappiness, doesn't work anything like iOS. WebOS is not like iOS at all, and Windows Phone used, until recently, the same UI it had before iOS, and when it recently was overhauled it took a radically different approach.
The "how many ways can this and that be done"-argument that you usually hear from Android fans, I hope you remember it the next time you feel the urge to bash Samsung for copying iOS' "unique" icon grid design.

I've been hearing the 'LOL APPLE THE NEW MICROSOFT' line for the past 10 years.. what the ****ing hell is it supposed to mean? You're pathetic.

You would have bitched if they didn't add the features. You bitch when they add them. Pretty much every modern ****ing mobile OS in existence was based on the original iOS. How many possible way can notifications be created in a way that is logical and useable on a 3.5in screen? How would Apple has done them in an 'original' way, in which you would have been pleased? If they were in a random language and holographic? Or if you had to invoke a 7 finger gesture to invoke them? Stop your trolling. Not every new addition can be OMFG THIS HAS NEVER BEEN DONE BEFORE BY ANYONE.

Symbian has indeed been around for over 13yrs ... and after the first 4yrs began to use a new Web Browser by Apple which they worked closely with Nokia to use on Symbian's S60 2nd Edition FP2 ... the N80 was the first phone/smartphone to use ANY iteration of a Webkit engine. I find it funny Apple didn't highlight it.

llionw

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2010
Why the constant bitching?

So Apple have come up with a "new" notification system, that just so happens to resemble Android's take on it. It seems that the 'scroll down' notification centre is the most logical and unobtrusive (to the user experince) method of achieving the desired result, so Apple have run with it ... and about time too. Yet the fanboys want to have a 'willy waving' competition as to who does it better or who introduced it first! Have they seen a car recently, GM, Ford, Toyota and do they bitch to the same extent about, OMG, how dare they (their non preferred manufacturer) 'copy' and put a round wheel on each corner of the car!! All cars are the same in principal theory in order for them to work efficiently; however, it is in the engineering refinement wherein lies the difference between manufacturer. You choose the car that works for you and is within budget; but they all, in essence, do exactly the same!! The same may be said for smartphone manufacturers, in this case with regard to notifications, there is a 'way' of doing it, and the individual chooses the manufacturer that implements it best to suit their needs and budget! So, enough already with the trivial fanboy taunts of "my d*ck is bigger than yours" as to who copied who, and be glad that we, as consumers, now have a choice.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
iMessage question:

I read yesterday (can't remember site) that iMessaging services will be "tied in" with your Apple ID.

Lots of users have one Apple ID account with multiple iPhones/iOS devices (my iPhone and my wife's iPhone are on the same account) .. wonder how this will work??? Doesn't it make more sense to have iMessage "tied in" with email accounts instead?? Maybe it will be, who knows.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
iMessage question:

I read yesterday (can't remember site) that iMessaging services will be "tied in" with your Apple ID.

Lots of users have one Apple ID account with multiple iPhones/iOS devices (my iPhone and my wife's iPhone are on the same account) .. wonder how this will work??? Doesn't it make more sense to have iMessage "tied in" with email accounts instead?? Maybe it will be, who knows.
I think it will require separate Apple IDs, which would mean separate @me.com accounts. The rub is, whether there will be a mad rush to get them once the free versions are offered (and is there a way to "jump the queue" with a developer account?)...

Right now, nobody seems to know. :(

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California
I think it will require separate Apple IDs, which would mean separate @me.com accounts. The rub is, whether there will be a mad rush to get them once the free versions are offered (and is there a way to "jump the queue" with a developer account?)...

If this will require separate Apple ID's, there will be tons and tons of :mad:users that share apps on multiple devices on one account (buy an app one time and install it to more than one ios device...)

Like you said, nobody seems to know yet . .

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM

Apple ID's can be any email address, it does not need to be a me.com account.

curtisinoc

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
Southern California

How do you think this will be addressed?:
If this will require separate Apple ID's, there will be tons and tons of users that share apps on multiple devices on one account (buy an app one time and install it to more than one ios device...)

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
But given the free nature of the accounts when iOS 5 rolls out, and the integrations with mail/calendar/etc. and iCloud, isn't everyone going to be better off with an @me.com account for the Apple account?

BTW, I'm not saying I know. I'm saying I don't know. ;)

How do you think this will be addressed?:
If this will require separate Apple ID's, there will be tons and tons of users that share apps on multiple devices on one account (buy an app one time and install it to more than one ios device...)
I think we're all going to have to understand how Home Sharing works with the new iTunes and iCloud...

RafaelT

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2010
NM
But given the free nature of the accounts when iOS 5 rolls out, and the integrations with mail/calendar/etc. and iCloud, isn't everyone going to be better off with an @me.com account for the Apple account?

I am sure you are right that there will be more people going after them, but I don't think it will be a huge amount. For many people, myself included, it would just mean one more email address to check. Much easier just to use an existing address.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
3) Finally the big one, PC Free. The iPad just became a standalone computer at least a year ahead of Windows 8 hitting the market and with a vastly superior ecosystem and sync service for both media and data than anything else out there. It was already a huge hit, this is only going to increase its potential reach. Same goes for the iPhone and iPod Touch as well.

QUOTE]

How was it that the iPad needed a computer beforehand to begin with? I'm not sure it wasn't a standalone product before?

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
The guy who got hired to notifications is lucky. It remains similar to the JB version and it couldn't have been very hard to code. Apple most likely did it so no one could say they ripped off an indie dev.

I wonder when they will be accepting iCloud email registrations. It may be a good time to switch from GMail :)

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
What we have here is a classic StandAlone Complex with all the mobile OS developers. I have to admit that iOS5 is very exciting and will bring a lot of functionality to iDevices. That said, it's not that any real innovation is happening besides the consolidation of Apple's view to a more "cloud"/control-centric centralized data center methodology in order to control the user experience which I view to be VERY necessary.

Google's Android had attempted to control the user experience ever since Android 2.0. This however caused problems with their expansion strategy and hence, we have multiple devices with multiple customizations of the Android OS. With the plethora of Android devices available now, it's a crapshoot what OS you get with the purchase of your device. You normally have to refer back to expertly designed ROM packages from sources such as XDA-Devs. The user experience is incomplete with so many different variations. We saw this with Windows Mobile which is now Windows Phone.

iOS5 has a lot of borrowed features from Windows Mobile, Android, and even HTC Sense. The notification center is a straight throwback to Android OS which has been proven to be very efficient and effective. That's just awesome. Apple users let Google Android users test the tech before adopting it.

PC Free was an Android and Windows Mobile feature that was great. Android and Windows Mobile can run completely independently from a PC. Is it useful? You betcha! Were Android and Windows Mobile slightly flawed in this method? You betcha! Without a "cloud"-based synchronization method, it just wasn't realistic. Exchange server did this for Android and Windows Mobile very well for just E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar. iCloud can do virtually the same but the implementation may be different. If Apple doesn't have a universal backup/transfer method for Windows and Mac users, iCloud will be problematic. The synchronization method for iCloud must also be completely smooth like Exchange synchronization. Again, it remains to be seen if Apple can really pull this off. If iCloud works well, their gamble will pay off and we will see even larger adoption of iOS devices. Is iCloud a great concept? Yes, definitely! It integrates basic Exchange server synchronization with document synchronization like Dropbox but application specific, and it also will manage 3rd party application, book, and music sync. It's like the holy grail of synchronization.

iMessage is something I'm really excited about since BBM is my mortal enemy. BBM encompasses everything that is wrong with the corporate world. It's the back-end chat client on BB devices that goes around eDiscovery services in Exchange e-mail and other security messaging clients. BBM may be the catalyst for a lot of the financial crisis woes that happened in 2008. With logged messaging from iMessage, I think we'll see much more smooth messaging but also responsible archiving of conversations by Apple. This would really make messaging much more friendly if they execute correctly and it would also get me off of my Skype account for messaging.

Overall, I think the changes to iOS in iOS5 are really the way to go for post-pc computing. I already know that I'll be using the iPad and iPhone more for most of my computing needs since they are faster and easier than booting a Mac and then working off of it. Thanks to anyone reading this since I'm just ranting on what my opinions are of iOS5 with all of it's new advancements. While I do think that almost all these advancements come from other OSs, I think the iOS user experience is what really matters at the end of the day.

Slayter

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2009
The Czech Republic
Hmm, notification centre is much better then what we have now, but that`s it.

Web OS is much better in this particular thing. But iOS?

Imagine, you use top part for lot of app navigation... and now out of nowhere you`ll be gettin` a banner... to deal with. ....

also so called centre is quite a mess... not a big deal but still, where is "clear all notifications" button.

So long we have been waiting ... and all they come up with it is this??

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Hmm, notification centre is much better then what we have now, but that`s it.

Web OS is much better in this particular thing. But iOS?

Imagine, you use top part for lot of app navigation... and now out of nowhere you`ll be gettin` a banner... to deal with. ....

also so called centre is quite a mess... not a big deal but still, where is "clear all notifications" button.

So long we have been waiting ... and all they come up with it is this??

Chill out. It's an early beta for developers. Apple frequently changes things a lot by the time it's released.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
iMessage question:

It will work just like facetime, supposedly.

Hueyfreeman

macrumors regular
May 26, 2011
PC Free was an Android and Windows Mobile feature that was great. Android and Windows Mobile can run completely independently from a PC. Is it useful? You betcha! Were Android and Windows Mobile slightly flawed in this method? You betcha! Without a "cloud"-based synchronization method, it just wasn't realistic. Exchange server did this for Android and Windows Mobile very well for just E-mail, Contacts, and Calendar. iCloud can do virtually the same but the implementation may be different. If Apple doesn't have a universal backup/transfer method for Windows and Mac users, iCloud will be problematic. The synchronization method for iCloud must also be completely smooth like Exchange synchronization. Again, it remains to be seen if Apple can really pull this off. If iCloud works well, their gamble will pay off and we will see even larger adoption of iOS devices. Is iCloud a great concept? Yes, definitely! It integrates basic Exchange server synchronization with document synchronization like Dropbox but application specific, and it also will manage 3rd party application, book, and music sync. It's like the holy grail of synchronization.

iMessage is something I'm really excited about since BBM is my mortal enemy. BBM encompasses everything that is wrong with the corporate world. It's the back-end chat client on BB devices that goes around eDiscovery services in Exchange e-mail and other security messaging clients. BBM may be the catalyst for a lot of the financial crisis woes that happened in 2008. With logged messaging from iMessage, I think we'll see much more smooth messaging but also responsible archiving of conversations by Apple. This would really make messaging much more friendly if they execute correctly and it would also get me off of my Skype account for messaging.

Overall, I think the changes to iOS in iOS5 are really the way to go for post-pc computing. I already know that I'll be using the iPad and iPhone more for most of my computing needs since they are faster and easier than booting a Mac and then working off of it. Thanks to anyone reading this since I'm just ranting on what my opinions are of iOS5 with all of it's new advancements. While I do think that almost all these advancements come from other OSs, I think the iOS user experience is what really matters at the end of the day.

Android wirelessly syncs with google web based apps. Contacts phone settings and calendar and various other things already happen with android of the bat. They have been doing this for free for years and even supply apps for blackberry to allow their phones to sync with google servers. Apple would not let the apps into the app store however. Remember google has more experience with cloud services then apple does.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Android wirelessly syncs with google web based apps. Contacts phone settings and calendar and various other things already happen with android of the bat. They have been doing this for free for years and even supply apps for blackberry to allow their phones to sync with google servers. Apple would not let the apps into the app store however. Remember google has more experience with cloud services then apple does.
That's great if you happen to trust Google with all of your information... Not everybody does.

weespeed

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010

Windows Phone 7 does the whole 'iCloud' thing with liveMesh and skydrive, which has been out for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.