Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wakakanada

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Another 60 days, great! Funny how MobileMe is getting all the goodwill PR efforts whereas iPhone problems are being minimized as a quirky 2% of phones. Then again, iPhone's are flying off the shelves even if there are problems, so why admit there's a problem, I suppose.

hawk1226

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2008
So if you got the email your getting the extension? I ask because i got an email that my service expired (which is correct), but i still had 15 days to access the information etc...so by still being in the 15 days did that qualify me for the 60 day extension?

betasteve

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2007
I got the message, but my expiration date is still Sept 9th.
Anyone else with similar probs?

rappr

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
for me, the last extension took a few weeks to show up in my account settings. I expect the same of this one as well.

swb1192

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2007
ok so since it says august 19th, if i got a free account right now it would add another 60 days to it too?

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
The email says that "most subscribers" received the 30 day extension. I never did. Does that mean that I won't? Why not? It's not like I didn't have issues with MobileMe during the transition.

EDIT: I never recieved the first email apology, but I got this one.

Saturnine

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2005
Manchester, UK
Heh sweet and unexpected. It's been fine for me since about day three aswell. I was a .Mac member until June 27th but I let it expire due to the upcoming MobileMe transition. Signed up for MobileMe on Day 1 and got garry@ which was a bit of an unexpected bonus.

So that's now:

60 day original free trial.
30 day original extension
30 day extension due to billing me £121 ;)
60 day with today's e-mail.

That means having signed up on July 11th, I'll be getting MobileMe for free until the middle of January. Fab.

eff pc

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2008
i kno they dont want to support MS products but it is kind of annoying when I'm on a public computer and can't check my email (i can on my iphone but if its a long email i dont like reading it on there) because MM doesnt support IE. They need to support it since all libraries and public computer labs are mostly PC based and almost all dont have firefox and probably none have safari for windows.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
Hey imagine that, the e-mail announcing this went to my mobile Me account and didn't push to my phone. It downloaded it as I opened the mail client on the phone after reading this thread. The fetch didn't even get it. :) Awesome. :rolleyes: Oh and my date of expiration has not changed. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this is fun!

It pushed to mine. I have yet to have an email not push to my iPhone. Obviously others are having problems, but this is not a global issue.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
If we sign up for a new trial tonight, will we get the extension?
Yeah, but you must do it by tonight (not tomorrow). The deadline is "August 19 at 0:00 Pacific Daylight Time", which is midnight tonight (Pacific time) -- not midnight tomorrow.

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
i kno they dont want to support MS products but it is kind of annoying when I'm on a public computer and can't check my email (i can on my iphone but if its a long email i dont like reading it on there) because MM doesnt support IE. They need to support it since all libraries and public computer labs are mostly PC based and almost all dont have firefox and probably none have safari for windows.

You can bypass the warning and use IE (look at the buttons at the bottom). I do it all the time and 99% of the features are supported, although it is slightly more cumbersome.

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
How much is Apple losing on all this free MobileMe stuff?

$8.33 USD per month in revenue for each single user plan.
$12.42 USD per month in revenue for each family plan.

If you figure they've given out 3 free months now in the US that's:

$24.99-37.26 per account.

TuffLuffJimmy

macrumors G3
Apr 6, 2007
Portland, OR
$8.33 USD per month in revenue for each single user plan.
$12.42 USD per month in revenue for each family plan.

If you figure they've given out 3 free months now in the US that's:

$24.99-37.26 per account.

That's not money lost, that's just money not gained. I too am wondering the total amount lost and how many subscribers have mobile me.

guyverzero

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2008
So if it gives it to everyone who signs up my August 19th at midnight PCT that means we can still sign up and get the sixty days until midnight at that time zone, right!?!

mambodancer

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2004
Denver
It's nice to now have a total of 90 days for free. I haven't had HUGE problems with mobileme, but then again:

-Push doesn't work for me at all (I only ever get email on my phone when I open the app)
-I have to delete most emails twice on the iPhone for them to actually delete.
-Email doesn't sync to the 'cloud' (such a dubious word/concept! but if fits so well with the ethereal non-working nature of the current service!) but strangely it does between my phone, iMac and MBP.
-I can only get calendar and contact updates to my phone if I turn off push, shut down reboot, then turn push back on.

I can live with all of these for now (after all, my phone company doesn't even provide Edge, much less 3G!), but I'd like to see them fixed for now.

Did you enable Push service on your iPhone?

To do this, select the Settings tool on your iPhone.
Touch the "Mail, Contacts, Calendars" menu selection.
Select your dotmac or mobileme Account.
Turn on options for Mail, Contacts, Calendars and Bookmarks.

Also, Select the Fetch New Data menu item,
Select an appropriate Fetch frequency for your other eMail accounts (I am assuming these are not set to Manual? which might explain your problem.)

It also sounds, from your comment that you might not be usine AT&T?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
How much is Apple losing on all this free MobileMe stuff?

Probably not as much money they would lose by people not renewing their subscription had Apple not extended people's subscriptions for free, given all the recent hassles.

This is good from Apple. They extended 1 month for all, but a further 60 days is great.

MobileMe will go down in history at Apple as an example of what happens when things go wrong. Lessons will be learnt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.