Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
ok I signed up....
synced everything, fairly easy setup.
Mac pro, macbook and iphone...all good to go.......NOT! :mad:

I made a new cal entry on my Iphone, entry showed up at me.com
but not in ICAL...WTF?!

Where is the push? I need to manually sync... NOT GOOD!
Iphone and me.com sync instantly but not with computers....
What the hell....

This has been discussed to death. Manually sync or sync every 15 minutes on computers. Surely you don't need it instantly. They're working on it apparently.

ctshu2002

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2008
Didn't get that email and didn't get an extension. My service is set to expire on October 9th.

The web site is still wicked flaky -- more bugs than a piece of Windows software.

Since apple is now going green I guess they didn't want to use any pesticide... (yeah, its bad)

I guess if they figured either 1) to run windows on mac, their software and services should be buggy as ever or 2) most people lived with it so ling, especially the windows converts, that they would be use to the bugs and patches and now the constant reboots when patch and updating, so take some shortcuts, use sub-par parts- 'but they build the hardware and software to work together and give the best support'...

Is a Mac reliable?

When you buy a PC, you’re buying hardware from one company and an operating system and software from other companies. Not so with a Mac. Because Apple builds both the computer and the software that comes with it, they’re literally made for each other. This means that a Mac rarely freezes or crashes. Occasionally an application might quit, but it won’t affect the rest of your system. And Mac OS X resists most viruses, so you can do anything — without worrying about losing everything.

What kind of support can I expect?

Every Mac comes with service and support that’s consistently voted the best in the business. If you have a problem in the first year of owning your new Mac, you can take it to an Apple Retail Store to get it fixed or figured out. And if you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan, you extend your service and support to up to three years. The Apple Retail Store also offers services like ProCare, which gives you priority support, and One to One, which provides weekly personal training on your Mac. Each service costs $99 a year.

http://www.apple.com/getamac/faq/

http://www.apple.com/getamac/whymac/

MacSmiley

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2003
South Dakota
1-800-767-2775

30 days plus 60 days should bring me to an expiration in January 2009, not December 2008. I'll give Apple a few days to fix this. If it's not fixed shortly, I'm gonna call

Apple Customer Relations at 1-800-767-2775

and tell them to credit me the complete 90 day extension for what we're not getting anymore.

I'm all for Apple's breakneck progress. Even so, why should I have to lose all the value of the ancillary .Mac services... especially Apple iCards!!

PLEASE don't kill Apple iCards!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/macsmiley/2652541101/

iWant Apple iCards Back, Too!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/macsmiley/2756802511/

There are two petitions clamoring for the return of Apple's iCards:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ic110608/petition.html

and

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/06291970/petition.html

Feel free to add your signature to the 1,000+ other voices crying in the wilderness!!

Ludde

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2007
Wonderful! At this rate I'll actually be able to pay for MobileMe when my trial runs out and keep the @mac.com-address!

I understand these problems have been really bad for those dependent on the service, but this is the best thing that could've happened to me at least ^^;

scottinsac

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2008
Northern California
Cool

I like the fact that they have given the extension to people who are still in the free trial. This will allow Apple to get MobileMe up to their promised standards, and will give me time to evaluate weather or not it is worth paying for once they do have everything fixed.

RRutter

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2008
Austin, TX
If you haven't received this yet, you should soon, hopefully.

Kudos to Apple. They could have easily stopped at 30 days. This was unexpected, at least for me.

60days.png

I do not understand, what is the difference between MobileMe and the pushing data feature on the iPhone?

:apple:

Veri

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
So, after letting my account languish a while, I login to check my account profile to see if I've been given moar, but the password re-confirmation page takes me to the password re-confirmation page.

I logout, I log back in, and now, "Your MobileMe Mail is currently unavailable.
We apologize for this service interruption and are working hard to resolve the problem."

In addition, a friend with a shiny new iPhone was telling me that a combination of MM and Exchange sync was eating up usage=>battery on an otherwise idle box. Why are pushes not batched to less regular intervals when the phone is obviously not in use or, if the server doesn't support that, the phone reverts to polling?

mogzieee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
Was this sent to every MobileMe user - regardless of problems?

I got this email and my first 30 day experience of the 12 months I have has been very calm and nice - no problems - why the fuss?

Oh, and by the way, does this mean my 12 month contract now lasts 14 months?

Sweeeeeeet.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Wow...
Im sure happy now.. and mobileme only had a couple of issues to me..

60 day original free trial + 30 days free for first mobileme outage + 60 more days for this email = 150 days of free mobileme..

I am one happy camper

How could anyone not be happy? I mean damn I wish I had signed up for mobileme when it was first released. Bugs or not, it's getting to be that you guys are gonna get free mobileme service for like the next 2 years. Wish for more bugs!

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
I guess for those who had real problems this isn't so good a deal but for me who only had one real day of appalling service this is amazing

REBELinBLUE

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2007
London, UK
Only had a couple of problems at the very beginning of Mobile Me with some conflict which was easily solved by clearing everything off the server. Since then it has been perfect, so 60 day trial + 30 extension + 60 extension, 5 months for free, I'm happy :D :D

sneeks

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2007
Glasgow, UK
Wow...
Im sure happy now.. and mobileme only had a couple of issues to me..

60 day original free trial + 30 days free for first mobileme outage + 60 more days for this email = 150 days of free mobileme..

I am one happy camper

Same here, it's great :)

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Awesome.

I've had a few problems here and there, but my email has been pretty consistent, my iDisk has always worked and I've not had any problems syncing iCal or Address Book.

90 days...I'm pleased with that! Let's hope Apple gives us another bunch in a month or so. Maybe a free iPod Touch would be better.

Nov 6, 2007
Got it

Yep. I got the email too. It was sitting in my gmail this morning (ok I have forwarding turned on - as I have 3 email accounts right now). Checked my account though. I am a little confused....

As someone else pointed out:

But my account shows expiring on October 9th. I signed up on July 13th. Maybe they have not updated the accounts yet? My account should say expiring in December. I hope this does not mean 90 days total - which would only give me the 30 day extension? :confused:

This is kind of interesting because one thread has said that apple was going to take to the end of the year to get it straightened out. so this means that anyone who signed up in July, should be getting the bumpy period free...

Let's hope my account is updated today to show December as the expiration.

Apple Ink

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2008
You spend money for an email client, and some low storage space? Wow.

Even if we do spend money for a storage client and 20GB of cloud space.... Its money well spent because I, for one, love the push mail services! They have been working fabulously and it doesnt even take a second for my mail to be pushed! As for the storage.... I hate FTP..... and all services offering a web GUI (obviously none as slick as Apple's) are considerably expensive!

But most importantly.... This Thread is not the place to discuss this! You're breaking forum rules when you intentionally post something completely off thread topic! There are many more discussions in MMe forum! Post your thoughts there and they'll be better responded to!

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
30 days plus 60 days should bring me to an expiration in January 2009, not December 2008. I'll give Apple a few days to fix this. If it's not fixed shortly, I'm gonna call

Apple Customer Relations at 1-800-767-2775

and tell them to credit me the complete 90 day extension for what we're not getting anymore.

I'm all for Apple's breakneck progress. Even so, why should I have to lose all the value of the ancillary .Mac services... especially Apple iCards!!

PLEASE don't kill Apple iCards!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/macsmiley/2652541101/

iWant Apple iCards Back, Too!!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/macsmiley/2756802511/

There are two petitions clamoring for the return of Apple's iCards:

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/ic110608/petition.html

and

http://www.PetitionOnline.com/06291970/petition.html

Feel free to add your signature to the 1,000+ other voices crying in the wilderness!!

Good Lord.

Nov 6, 2007
While I will accept the additional free time, I feel rather guilty about it. I am another one that has worked correctly since about day #2.

Are the problems experienced by others both on OS X and Windows?

these are just some of the problems I had.

Before my last windows machine died, 90% of my sync'ing problems were using MM on Windows in Outlook. It screwed my outlook bad.

1. Sync with my mac - upload to cloud. Windows sync kicks off - overwrote and deleted cloud rather than importing my calendar and contacts.

2. When deleting appointments, they showed up in Outlook's Deleted Items as calendars rather than appts. When I tried to permately delete them, it said I did not have permission to delete this folder. I was kinda confused as my google sync did it correctly.

3. Logging on to the Web Interface. This one always confuses me. :confused: I have Firefox on my work computer (Dell). I also had it on my personal Dell laptop that died. Both firefox's were the same version and build. Now the first day or 2 I had problems with the perpetual loading on both machines. What confuses me now, is just before that laptop died, the web interface on my laptop and also on my macbook work fine. However, on my work desktop - I still get the perpetual loading some times. I even did a test with each laptop and my work computer and hit keys at the exact some time. Macbook, Dell Laptop went fine. My work Dell tower - perpetual loading. there is something the web interface does not like about my Dell tower. The only difference is the Dell tower is logged into a VPN (I work from home, so the router and everything is the same across all machines).

4. When decomissioning the now dead windows machine, I uninstalled out look - but forgot to turn off the sync. the sync kicked off and rather than erroring since it could not find outlook, or giving me a warning (like it does when your machine is update - x% is about to change, and then shows the number of additions, merges, and deletions) - it deleted my cloud. luckily my mac gave me the warning that data was about to change on my mac, so that I could cancel and repush manually to the cloud. this is kinda a problem should your computers get out of sync (like if you do not use one for a while - or you do an uninstall and reinstall [like you always have to with windows products])

Now that I do not have anymore personal Windows machines, the only problems I have is with my mac address book. on my mac, I have 27 contacts. No matter what I do, only 23 go to the cloud. 1 of them I can see not uploading properly as it is a duplicate (first and last name fields - email address and phone numbers are different). Which kinda stinks if I actually did use this for work, because we have to John Doe's (real name omitted), and they are actually 2 different people in 2 different depts). the other 3 entries - I have no idea why they will not go to the cloud. I even did a manual reset and push to the cloud. Still only 23 contacts.

bzen

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
A MobileMe by Any Other Name Might be Different

Hey imagine that, the e-mail announcing this went to my mobile Me account and didn't push to my phone. It downloaded it as I opened the mail client on the phone after reading this thread. The fetch didn't even get it. :)

EXACTLY the same for me!! Way too funny!

One of the things I really dislike about MobileMe is the name. EVERY-TIME I see it I think of Windows Me. From Wikipedia--

"Shortly after Windows Me was released (2000), Microsoft launched a campaign-initiative to promote Windows Me in the United States, which they dubbed the Meet Me Tour. A national partnered promotional program featured Windows Me, OEMs (Original Equipment Manufacturers) and other partners in an interactive multi-media attraction in 25 cities across the United States.....Windows Me had a short shelf-life of just over a year; it was soon replaced by the NT-based Windows XP, which was launched on October 25, 2001."

Nov 6, 2007
What is the original free trial period? 60 days?

so if I signup tonight, am I going to get 120 days?

Probably, but you will not get the 150 days that people who adopted on day one were getting. still pretty cool though.

bobbleheadbob

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2007
Massachusetts
I'm very happy with this. I think it was the right thing for :apple: to do. My patience was beginning to run out with the New .Mac (still don't like the MobileMe name), but this has bought them some more time and goodwill with me at least to get this fixed.

Thanks, :apple:. Once again my faith has been restored! Hallelujah! ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.