Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2013
Hyrule
I'm not knocking you, but backups would have helped. Time Machine is great. Even exporting your Playlists now and then is a good idea. Could have been prevented...

It saved my mom's computer from Mavericks, making it so easy to downgrade to Mountain Lion. Half the core libraries were corrupted from 10.9 somehow. I don't care whose fault it is for needing the backup; backups are great to have!

----------

Does it fix the quit bug where itunes just hangs and then only quits by Force Quit?

Seems fine for me now.

JackieTreehorn

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2005
Amsterdam
Cool - it does't update via the AppStore (doesn't even download 1 byte), although the AppStore says it is updated. Refresh the store and the update is there again, so I now have an entire full page of iTunes in the recently updated section.

iTunes.png

Great, Apple - just great. Switching to manual download.

lk400

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2012
That is exactly what I think. With all these issues I am starting to feel like Apple will eventually become as bad as Microsoft in a future not too far from now. I am surprised that people are not making a big deal out of the numerous problems with this new OS. I have a new rMBP and the "freezing" problem is making me sick. I would not expect this from a 2K laptop. We (Mac) users pay a premium for a reason: we want things to work!

Let's be more vocal and expose this to the media. Just like the "antenagate".

You (we) pay a premium for many reasons, but zero bugs in a new version of an operating system (or any program) is not one of them.

If you want to get vocal about something, I think there are more pressing issues in the world today.

josh.b

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2013
So I have never had an issue with iTunes, runs fast, looks good, no crashes. Reading all the negative comments directed at it in this thread though makes me wonder. Is there a capable alternative. I know there is VLC but one that is meant to be for music.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
Well I gotta put in my 2 cents.
Thankfully the iPhone syncing issue is gone for me, but I’m getting frustrated with iTunes. I recall my first impression, right after moving from Windows, was horrible. But then I learned it, figured out how it clicks, like how to get all the album artwork right etc. And I was loving it, no issues, smooth co-operation for the last 2 years. But one must be blind not to see that iTunes is becoming a bit like a combine harvester – it tries to be and do everything. I still think it’s a great piece of software, but I’m afraid that the bugs will eventually outshine the pros.
I believe they should rethink the iTunes as a music player/store/iPhone backup. When I think about it, then separating these functionalities doesn’t seem like the best option, but the iTunes definitely needs a GUI (and not just a visual) overhaul in my opinion.
I do believe that Apple has some brainy guys working for them and that one day they’ll come up with iTunes of my dreams☺

P.S. I really don’t get that part of Apple’s philosophy regarding the “stores”. Whereas on OSX you have this “everything in 1” iTunes (plus the AppStore app which serves as an updater) on the iOS you have everything separately – music player, iTunes Store, App Store, iBooks and Newsstand. And speaking for myself – I would prefer the iOS to either have all the stores in 1 place or each store inside the corresponding app, more or less like this:
applications store – AppStore
iTunes store + music player > iTunes app
book store + book reader – iBooks app
and I don’t need the Newsstand, but ok: newsstand store + magazines – Newsstand app☺

Marc-SP

Oct 7, 2013

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"Note: If you are using OS X Mavericks, your book library can now be found in iBooks for Mac. "

lol

I was gonna say,,,, what iBooks .... but then i noticed Apple quietly snuck in this fix..

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
That is exactly what I think. With all these issues I am starting to feel like Apple will eventually become as bad as Microsoft in a future not too far from now. I am surprised that people are not making a big deal out of the numerous problems with this new OS. I have a new rMBP and the "freezing" problem is making me sick. I would not expect this from a 2K laptop. We (Mac) users pay a premium for a reason: we want things to work!

Let's be more vocal and expose this to the media. Just like the "antenagate".

The problem can't be fixed. Steve Jobs can't be replaced, and the current and future CEOs will be a series of corporate wall street oriented hacks.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
i have a HUGE iTunes library, (now over 12TB) of movies and TV shows, i would like iTunes to handle the images of shows and movies better than it does now, sometimes there is a good 30 second wait for it to go trawl in the cover art, perhaps caching all the cover art and only polling for fresh artwork in the background periodically (maybe when iTunes is idle , or video is being played full screen) would be a good idea apple ?

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
i have a HUGE iTunes library, (now over 12TB) of movies and TV shows, i would like iTunes to handle the images of shows and movies better than it does now, sometimes there is a good 30 second wait for it to go trawl in the cover art, perhaps caching all the cover art and only polling for fresh artwork in the background periodically (maybe when iTunes is idle , or video is being played full screen) would be a good idea apple ?

This. My library is also over 10 TB's by now, and iTunes is extremely slow at browsing through cover arts, it takes a ton to load them, it takes huge amounts of time to actually list a single album after I click on the cover art as well. I'm certain that this is also related to hard drive speeds and if the library did sit on an SSD or a RAID0, it'd be much faster. But regardless, the old iTunes (up to 10.4) was much faster at this.

When they said they redesigned iTunes 11, they didn't really rewrite it from the ground up. A lot of the code in iTunes is still from the early 2000's like the import and edit code. They really should rewrite the entire importing/tagging engine, it's ancient by now. And then they should redesign the library portion of iTunes to handle huge libraries once and for all. This is not a music player anymore, this is also library application and it should handle large data well. Right now it doesn't. In comparison Aperture or iPhoto do handle large photo libraries much better than iTunes handles large media libraries. Need a rewrite of some portions of the app.

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
I would like to have my e-mail working before improvements to iTunes... I find it embarrassing that OS X could ship with non-working mail client, and hope they fix it soon, like yesterday!

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/11/04/apple-preparing-bug-fix-updates-to-mail-ibooks-safari-and-remote-desktop/

It's not like there's one person at Apple fixing problems. You could also argue that Google should be pretty embarrassed about providing a non-standard implementation of IMAP mail, which appears to be causing a lot of the Mail problems.

BobbyCat

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
Beyond
Any chance this update brings back the iTunes DJ that was quietly and unceremoniously removed?

I'm glad you mention it because this was - and still is - a huge scandal. Not only Apple took a great feature from us - iTunes DJ - with iTunes 11, but they also made it impossible to revert to iTunes 10.7. :mad:

I still use iTunes 10 on my Macs and refuse to upgrade to 11, but recently, as I installed a new Snow Leopard on a MacBook, I couldn't find a way to upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7. The app is sealed in the system in a hidden way, just like the soldered RAM on the new MacBooks. What a shame. :(

We, Mac users, used to be free, proud and happy. Now we have less and less freedom, and we're steadily more compelled to go to the Store, as if that was the whole purpose of the OS. :apple:

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I really wish I could open my playlists in one window and my library in another. The loss of this feature is infuriating for creating playlists :-(

Bokito

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2007
Netherlands
Cool - it does't update via the AppStore (doesn't even download 1 byte), although the AppStore says it is updated. Refresh the store and the update is there again, so I now have an entire full page of iTunes in the recently updated section.

Are you running the original Mavericks GM (build 13A598)? The 13A603 build should've squashed these bugs.

DSL Steve

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2005

Not quite as many entries (4 - I think) but the same thing happened to me.

Two week old late 2013 13in Retina MBP

Last edited:

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
10.7 is still simply a much better app in every way for me. I think they need to have a separate iTunes Pro app, or a big 'advanced user' switch to turn on. It feels like they are trying to please everyone and in doing so pleasing no-one.

Some of us want our all old missing features back, others continually demand a less bloated app. And we get something in between both ends of the spectrum that doesn't really satisfy either group.

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
So just because this happened to fix your issue, you assume that's the only reason everyone else has been having sync problems :confused:
You can also see it as a friendly tip and something you could try. If it doesn't work you can report your findings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.