Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
One thing that I find odd is that if I go to Upgrade then I can upgrade but if I go to the artist it only shows me the .99 cent version.. yet, and in this case I own a track or two, if I say complete album I then see the 1.29 DRM free versions and option to upgrade to DRM free... seems messy.

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Did they pull iTunes Plus to work out the bugs, or am I the only one not seeing it?

prawnballs

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2006
I've just upgraded 54 tracks to Plus for £8.40 or something. Thought I might as well. Thought I would have had more tracks from EMI but obviously not :) Seems to work quite well, but obviously I'd rather not have to pay at all to download the same tracks again.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
Only after returning to the music front page once or twice did I finally see an Upgrade your music... already upgraded a few Beastie Boys songs :) $.30 per updated song, not bad.

I'm not seeing that option anywhere? I went to check out some david bowie music, it said iTunes Plus and i have it turned on, but all the tracks were still listed as $.99 sooooooooo.... i dunno, wait it out i guess

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I've just upgraded 54 tracks to Plus for £8.40 or something. Thought I might as well. Thought I would have had more tracks from EMI but obviously not :) Seems to work quite well, but obviously I'd rather not have to pay at all to download the same tracks again.

Going to tell us how you did it?

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
So it would seem that for those of us that like to buy songs individually it would be best to only buy DRM versions at .99 cents.. I don't think buying per song as DRM free is economically sound hehe... good thing they have the complete my album and upgrade options (although the upgrade looks to be possibly limited just as is the complete my album).

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK

Actually it would be over £10 so something tells me your telling a few lies given no one else can upgrade

Luveno

macrumors member
May 12, 2006
Nova Scotia, Canada
I now see iTunes Plus content when I search for some artists. However, $1.39 a track, here in Canada. I don't understand how we can pay $0.99 for regular tracks, just like the U.S. but have to pay a higher rate for the DRM free tracks, compared to the U.S. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it *is* $1.29 state-side, correct?

onebloodonelife

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2007
Twin Cities, MN
I now see iTunes Plus content when I search for some artists. However, $1.39 a track, here in Canada. I don't understand how we can pay $0.99 for regular tracks, just like the U.S. but have to pay a higher rate for the DRM free tracks, compared to the U.S. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it *is* $1.29 state-side, correct?

Yep, $1.29 over here.

prawnballs

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2006
where do you go to upgrade?

I clicked on the link to 'Complete My Albums', found one that was incomplete but was now available in plus, clicked 'complete my album', then there was a link to 'Upgrade to iTunes Plus before completing this album', clicking on that brought up another page that told me how many songs I had that could be upgraded to Plus for 20p each.

Obviously will become easier in time but this is how I managed it. Seems to have stopped downloading the 54 songs now though....

Actually it would be over £10 so something tells me your telling a few lies given no one else can upgrade

Why would I lie? It is £8.40 or something similar. It is a mixture of individual songs and albums, so it will be 20p for the individual tracks and less for the upgraded albums. I have much better things to do with my time than create stories about downloading music from the iTunes store :rolleyes:

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
I'm not seeing that option anywhere? I went to check out some david bowie music, it said iTunes Plus and i have it turned on, but all the tracks were still listed as $.99 sooooooooo.... i dunno, wait it out i guess

Have you purchased any songs from David Bowie? If so you might need to.. UGH! I turned off iTunes Plus then back on and that option to upgrade is gone??

Sigh.. back to you, you should see iTunes Plus listed next to the buy album, I am seeing songs for .99 but the buy album says iTunes Plus.. unsure what is going on myself.

Eduardo1971

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2006
Lost Angeles, Ca. usa
Since I've been subscribing to http://www.emusic.comfor almost a year; I've been waiting for iTunes to release DRM-free and higher bit-rate music.

I love emusic, but more mainstream releases are sure hard to find there. Here's hoping that more of the major record companies begin releasing higher bit-rate and DRM-free music on iTunes.

Ha ze

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2006
I clicked on the link to 'Complete My Albums', found one that was incomplete but was now available in plus, clicked 'complete my album', then there was a link to 'Upgrade to iTunes Plus before completing this album', clicking on that brought up another page that told me how many songs I had that could be upgraded to Plus for 20p each.

Obviously will become easier in time but this is how I managed it. Seems to have stopped downloading the 54 songs now though....

good walk though, i followed these steps, turns out i have a whopping one song to upgrade, but i bet it'll sound amazing

I dont know about anyone else, but I think it would be nice to have a little icon, like the plus logo, on the song line in my library, similar to the way "Explicit" or "Clean" are tagged.

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Is the sound quality of the DRM-free songs noticeably better? Funny how a short time ago Jobs was mentioning how the $.99 tag for a song was something he would stick to and that charging more would be a bad move.

Yet here we are.

Feels more like drinking Kool-aid than anything with swallowing this extra price tag for DRM-free songs, when its easily circumventable. I certainly hope the sound quality is much much better.

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
I clicked on the link to 'Complete My Albums', found one that was incomplete but was now available in plus, clicked 'complete my album', then there was a link to 'Upgrade to iTunes Plus before completing this album',

I never got that for my cassius album

yagran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Brighton, East Sussex, UK
wow i found the upgrade page finally

not that i have much to upgrade lol. see attached :D (only 102 of my songs eligible :()

ps. dont laugh at me for having bought babycakes lol!

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 244
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.