Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joelovesapple

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2006
UK
The cost of the album, minus whatever you paid for songs on the album. If you bought an album completely for $9.99, and it costs $9.99 without DRM, you pay $9.99 minus $9.99 = 0. If you purchased ten songs for $0.99 each, you pay $9.99 - 10 times $0.99 = 9 cents to upgrade from ten songs with DRM to one complete album without DRM.

How do I find these albums in my library? I'm pretty sure there are some because I've spent over £1000 on iTunes:eek: .

JNB

macrumors 604
Whan will Apple make us an all-over-the.world iTunes Music Store. I'm sick of not be let to buy in iTunes Music Store USA. I won't buy in Austria or Germany or Italy where I could be driving to and buying iTunes Gift Card. This stores are nothing like US Store. I will start to hate Apple and all the producers with the music companies when I wishes aren't fullfilled any time soon.

It's not up to Apple. It's like hating Alpine or Blaupunkt for the songs coming from the local radio station

It has to do with the licensing agrements Apple has with the majors, which likely define geographically where & how the product is sold.

Since it would be insanely difficult to manage this label by label, Apple probably took the most restrictive agreement rules and applied them across the board. This would affect the indies more than anyone else. The big 5 already had identical agreements, I would bet.

goosnarrggh

macrumors 68000
May 16, 2006
The cost of the album, minus whatever you paid for songs on the album. If you bought an album completely for $9.99, and it costs $9.99 without DRM, you pay $9.99 minus $9.99 = 0. If you purchased ten songs for $0.99 each, you pay $9.99 - 10 times $0.99 = 9 cents to upgrade from ten songs with DRM to one complete album without DRM.

Where did you read that?

Intuitively, I agree that it makes sense. But I read Apple's press release (which has already been linked to) and it doesn't address the pricing scheme for upgrading whole albums at a time.

It does discuss the pricing scheme for upgrading individual tracks.

But the press release doesn't specifically mention the prices of albums at all. Jobs said at the announcement that album prices would remain unchanged, so I guess that's reliable information. But I just haven't seen any mention of the particulars of upgrading whole albums at once.

Marlor

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2005
Some of Neil Finn's stuff is iTunes Plus now.

It really seems incomplete at the moment. Maybe EMI just haven't re-ripped and uploaded all the tracks yet (after all, the way iTunes works is that the labels do the ripping and uploading themselves).

pmcelhaney

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2007
I just upgraded

I went to the "Complete My Album" page and saw an album that had the "iTunes Plus" option. I went to that album in the store, and followed a link that led me to this page:

"This is a special offer to upgrade your entire music library of previously purchased songs, albums, and music videos now available in iTunes Plus. You will be charged $0.30 a song, 30% of the current album price and $0.60 a music video to upgrade. Just click Buy and new versions of all your music below will be downloaded in iTunes Plus. This page updates automatically as we add more music in iTunes Plus. Please check back soon!"

There was a button to upgrade all at once. I couldn't find a way to upgrade individual songs or albums.

After I upgraded I was taken to a page devoted to iTunes Plus. I'm assuming it will be linked from the store home page eventually.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
Odd, I did the software update, went into my account prefs, enabled iTunes plus but I still see nothing.

So I do an about iTunes and it tells me it's 7.1.1?

Software update says no new updates to install.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
shuffle fix

does the 1g shuffle work again? mine has been dead since itunes 7 - no apple ipod reset utility works and i cannot stand 2g shuffle :(

Mainyehc

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2004
Lisbon, Portugal
iTunes em Português! FIXE!!

[iTunes in Portuguese! COOL!!] :cool:

So, apparently, this wasn't just some random point update to enable DRM-less songs, it represents a full-blown localization effort on Apple's part... I was suspecting they would eventually localize iTunes, as the iPod already presented a lot of choices, including portuguese... Now, I wonder if they localized the european stores, too... ;) :apple:

PseudoWoobie

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
What do you mean "uggh!"; I don't like bugs!

Nothing but bugs here. When I click my account and go to the iTunes Plus section, I now get error -9843.

The update has also messed up Music Store browsing it would seem. You can search for something, but the actual song does not appear on screen. In fact, the entire window that listed any songs at all when you search is gone. Only the top window, that shows the choice of albums, artists, etc remains.

In the iTunes Collections section, the space where the songs would be listed is empty. The button to "Buy All Songs" is there but... no songs.

Who knows, maybe it's just me?

eenu

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2006
Manchester, UK
i am assuming apple is doing a rolling update to their servers with the new 'plus' songs. Upon completion iTunes will then prompt the user to update anything they want to update. At least thats what i am hoping is going to happen.

I have erasure tunes but none of them from the album i got them from are showing as 'plus' the others are though. And what about tracks that are taken from comilation albums with some EMI artists on? Are they void of the upgrade? ie do you need to buy a track from and EMI album?

kfury77

macrumors regular
Jan 9, 2007
Osaka, Japan
Nothing but bugs here. When I click my account and go to the iTunes Plus section, I now get error -9843.

The update has also messed up Music Store browsing it would seem. You can search for something, but the actual song does not appear on screen. In fact, the entire window that listed any songs at all when you search is gone. Only the top window, that shows the choice of albums, artists, etc remains.

In the iTunes Collections section, the space where the songs would be listed is empty. The button to "Buy All Songs" is there but... no songs.

Who knows, maybe it's just me?

They're updating the system as we speak.... give 'em a little more time. I'm sure all will be well in a few hours time.

zim

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2002
downloaded and installed, 7.2 from the software update. Okay.. so everything looks good but I think they could have made the transition a little smoother. I felt a bit lost trying to activate everything, sure, I just got up but I think a little splash page or something... Only after returning to the music front page once or twice did I finally see an Upgrade your music... already upgraded a few Beastie Boys songs :) $.30 per updated song, not bad.

Update:
Okay I typed before I went to upgrade.. no go. Oh well.. will wait till the end of the day.

brandon6684

Dec 30, 2002
I just got Megadeth's Rust in Peace in iTunes Plus, the first iTunes purchase I've made in a long time, it's finally relevant for me again. Just to be sure I made sure the files would play in VLC, and everything worked well. At least I can buy a limited supply from iTunes for now. I like the idea of digital music, but I won't pay for low bit rate DRM'd crap, but this is a good start. Hopefully others follow suit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.