Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
What does Apple have against video cards? Apple's video card "selection" is the worst. $1700 for a laptop without a dedicated GPU? Wow... and the 9600 is outdated by 2 years... TWO YEARS!!!!!

And no matte option? Glossy screens are garbage - too much reflection and it's like staring into a lightbulb!

OS X is once again stuck on crappy, overpriced hardware.

lol attack of the whingers

I'm getting the 1999 15 inch! what a great price! And a free ipod!

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
i agree 100%.

Maybe Apple doesn't think their consumer base realizes that they are cutting features to save $$, the expresscard, firewire 400, matte screen option and ... blu-ray would all cost money to add and lets face it. apple is getting pretty cheap with their parts. to them its all about the margins.

The #1 way to grow your business is:

A) Try as hard as possible to keep your base
B) Attract new customers (ie windoze usrs)

ANSWER: B!!!!BEEEE

Pros should migrate to linux and build their own laptops in their dark caves

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
I use this thing...
11389.1.0.jpg

...the Logitech Comfort lapdesk, it's wide enough for a 17" (the chick in the
I'm a suckah for a cute chick that knows OSX!

OldTimey

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Here's the thing...

Just because *you* didn't use the ExpressCard Slot *does NOT* mean that no one used it, or that people that see the lack of the ExpressCard Slot as a serious *downgrade* to the MacBook "Pro" 15" are "whiners" or "should just buy a 17""

I'm truly sick and tired of the people trolling this thread acting like the way *they* use a MBP is the *only* way to use the MBP..

Just because *you* use a Pro laptop more like a consumer than a *professional* does not make professionals that actually care about a specific feature whiners that should just buy the 17" or shut up. Maybe Apple should make an additional consumer MacBook and ya'll should buy that or shut up?

Why don't you just shut up? I have every right to claim Apple did the right thing in eliminating the expresscard slot as you do to say that they didn't.

In my mind, eliminating the express card slot brings the overall price down...and to me that's a good thing. In this time of global recession it was a smart move.

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
Why don't you just shut up? I have every right to claim Apple did the right thing in eliminating the expresscard slot as you do to say that they didn't.

In my mind, eliminating the express card slot brings the overall price down...and to me that's a good thing. In this time of global recession it was a smart move.

Sigh, so many here that were obviously dropped on their heads as children...

I should stop feeding the trolls but I just can't help myself.

Bring the price down? That's what makes this BS so magically delicious to you? Removing a $50 part that Pro users need, to bring the price of a *Pro* laptop down? Again, Apple has consumer MacBooks... Why should anyone just bend over and accept Apple *crippling* the Pro Macs to satisfy consumers? What is so hard about adding BTO options and cutting price of the *consumer* models? Why ruin the Pro models and remove features that Pro users need?

The trolls here can drive others to drink...

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I wasn't talk about macbook to macbook pro prior to this refresh. It was comparing 15" macbook pro before the refresh until now. Isn't the only thing then lost an "express card slot"? So they bumped up the processor speed, put in a better screen, and installed an integrated battery w/ more run time.

As other have said quoting Apple, 1% of the pro base that was buying the previous version of the pro was utilizing the express card slot. So 99% of the users have gained useful features. I totally understand that those that use the express card slot on a daily basis feel pain on the removal on the 15". But from Apples point of view, does it makes sense to keep the express card for the 1% of the base when 99% would benefit from other features. Don't go back to the SD slot argument either. Its good for some of the base that may use SD (yes there were many old threads about the lack of SD on a Macbook) and its useless for many others. As I stated before, I think it was just thrown in as an cheap option that fills in the remaining usable space on the machine. But again the trade off was express card slot for other performance enhancements above vs. express card slot for SD.

Sorry but I call BS on the 1% figure of users that use the ExpressCard slot, it's just a made up number with no hard evidence to back it up. As I said in an earlier post if you start taking features out because only a few users use them you'll soon have a notebook with no features at all. And I doubt that the SD slot will get used by a great many people, and with the ExpressCard slot there was an option for many more additional features, be that FW/ESATA/SD/CF and so on.

Plus they may have included a quicker CPU, but they've cheaped out on using one with half the L2 Cache on all but the higher end systems. It still baffles my brain that people seem to think that having solid and expandable features taken away can be a good thing, and arguing that it is saving costs is total rubbish when the cost has been reduced by using a cheaper CPU and/or loosing the dedicated GPU. So if anything Apples margins on these machines may actually increase.

Again it smells to me of the upsell, much in the same way that the last lot of Unibody Macbooks dropped Firewire, which again some people tried to argue that it was a good thing :confused:

P.S. you were talking about the previous models by using the past tense.

Is that the only thing that made the previous 15" macbook pro a Pro computer?

But anyway the whole use of the term "Pro" has become pretty much null and void recently.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Sigh, so many here that were obviously dropped on their heads as children...

I should stop feeding the trolls but I just can't help myself.

Bring the price down? That's what makes this BS so magically delicious to you? Removing a $50 part that Pro users need, to bring the price of a *Pro* laptop down? Again, Apple has consumer MacBooks... Why should anyone just bend over and accept Apple *crippling* the Pro Macs to satisfy consumers? What is so hard about adding BTO options and cutting price of the *consumer* models? Why ruin the Pro models and remove features that Pro users need?

The trolls here can drive others to drink...

Second that, cheers

I´m not interested in saving $300-400 on a laptop that is only half as usefull to me.
I´m willing to pay a premium to have the ports I need and that used to be there. It´s hard to plan a head for a business when they keep changing and dropping ports all the time.
They could have the low end 15" without express card and and left it in the high end, and everyone would be happy.

To the difference in the 15 and the 17, you obviously haven´t have to trek/climb with 20kg (40 pounds) of camera gear at high altitude. Any extra weight is unwanted.
Hell, I can just about fit the 15" in my camera bag. The 17 wouldn´t come close.

I understand this dosen´t apply to most people, but I´m sure it´s plenty of other circumstances the extra size and weight matters.
If you only travel to and from work or campus, sure the 17" might not feel that much bigger.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
As other have said quoting Apple, 1% of the pro base that was buying the previous version of the pro was utilizing the express card slot. So 99% of the users have gained useful features.

By this skewed logic if 1% were using the ExpressCard slot, how many were using it for an SD card reader, lets just make up a percentage, like 25%, so that would mean (by Apples own crazed logic) that 0.25% of MacBook Pro users were using it to access an SD card, so why add the slot in the first place?

And how can dropping a feature that could be used for more than just reading SD cards be any sort of gain to any number of users? There is no logic in that argument whatsoever!

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
But anyway the whole use of the term "Pro" has become pretty much null and void recently.

I don't know why you think that.

Also you are taking the term "Pro" as if these laptops were only meant for professionals. Not that they just contain more higher end components (processors, video card, memory expandability, multi-monitors, etc). I.e. a higher level of components.

Yes apple had 2 lines. It wasn't per see a consumer line and and one for professionals. It is more like "student/consumer" and "Business" It was a lower end line with lower end components and a More expensive line "Pro" that had better components. The "Pro / Business User" at the time for Apple was mainly niche markets that required faster and better components to run the software and hardware. This hardware was overkill and unnecessary for the non-business user since the applications one would need to use did not require great processing power. Better video cards on a student/consumer grade laptop did not need to be high end either since the MAC was not a gaming platform and didn't have graphic intensive programs for this market.

Today and the past year or two this has more to do with capturing Windows users and especially windows "business" / "professional" user. Windows and many apps running under windows, especially business programs as well as games, need more processor power, memory and better quality video cards. They need more of these higher end components that are typically found in the "Pro" line. Apple has made great stride in converting PC users. Especially given the fact that Windows runs faster on MAC hardware and that you can also natively run windows apps on the MAC. Apple is making a huge push into this market and is more evident with bundling MS Exchange support in Snow Leopard.

Thus what was a typical "Pro" user years ago for Apple is not the same today. Thus the change in feature set and the price drop to attract a much larger customer base.

Plus they may have included a quicker CPU, but they've cheaped out on using one with half the L2 Cache on all but the higher end systems. It still baffles my brain that people seem to think that having solid and expandable features taken away can be a good thing, and arguing that it is saving costs is total rubbish when the cost has been reduced by using a cheaper CPU and/or loosing the dedicated GPU. So if anything Apples margins on these machines may actually increase.

There are cost savings even on the 2 higher end 15" systems compared to the previous 15" pro's processor & video card.

mrparet

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2006
I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but it seems that Apple is positioning the 17" as the Pro laptop. It's got the ExpressCard slot and the matte screen option. Truly, until the 15" has both of these things, it shouldn't be called a Pro computer. Same for the 13".

This "shell game" has me thinking that Apple plans on eventually adding a new MacBook. How long can it keep selling the plastic one? This move may have opened up room for a netbook or something.

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
And how can dropping a feature that could be used for more than just reading SD cards be any sort of gain to any number of users? There is no logic in that argument whatsoever!

You are just looking at this as a swap of the SD card in place of the express card reader and that's it.

The gain to the majority of users (if in fact the percentage of users actually using the express card slot is a low percentage) is faster processor, better video card, longer lasting battery, better screen quality/gamut all for less $$ for the "pro" it just replaced at the same price level/point.

akakillroy

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2007
Bethalto, IL
I could not be happier today, I called the Apple store today and asked about returning my 30 day old 17" MacBook Pro for the upgraded model, and upgrade a 21 day old 15" MacBook pro. I was told to com on in and they would take care of me, and they did. I was not able to bring back the 15" due to the fact that my daughter was away and I could not reach her, so the refunded me back $400 + tax as the previous 15" MacBook Pro was selling for $1599. Then I was told original on the phone my the manager that they would charge me 10% to return my 17" to exchange for the new 17". When I arrived they credited the 15" back ($400+tax) AND! Swapped out my 17" MacBook Pro for the new model (500GB/2.8GH) and refunded me back $300 + tax!

I have to say it was a very pleasant experience. Unbelievable..

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
I don't know why you think that.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that Apple generally marketed their "Pro" line of hardware to work in tandem with their "Pro" software. Software that would make good use of a dedicated GPU, or a larger L2 Cache and the expandability that an ExpressCard would give you. Software like Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro, Soundtrack Pro and DVD Studio Pro.

Also you are taking the term "Pro" as if these laptops were only meant for professionals. Not that they just contain more higher end components (processors, video card, memory expandability, multi-monitors, etc). I.e. a higher level of components.

I'm by no means saying that the "Pro" range of hardware was used only by those people who used Apples "Pro" software, but the 15" is more of a nice, but pricey, consumer notebook now, and a lot of those users who've invested thousands in Apples "Pro" software will be somewhat annoyed that features that allowed them to do their work efficiently have been scrapped, and lesser components are now being used giving them no option but to go for the 17" model, which for one reason or another they may not want.

There are cost savings even on the 2 higher end 15" systems compared to the previous 15" pro's processor & video card.

Not in all regions, plus as I posted earlier the bulk of the cost cutting will have little, if anything, to do with the lack of the ExpressCard when cheaper CPUs and GPUs are being used.

But you've still failed to answer a question posed earlier, which is how can dropping solid features be good to the end user?

BSchorr

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Sioux Falls
I got a quick question guys. I will be buying the 15" 2.8ghz with the 5400rpm drive. How big of an effect does it make when you upgrade to a 7200rpm? Reason I ask, is I will be bootcamping it with XP Pro to play my Steam Games/Call of Duty 4/5 games on it. Just wondering where you see the different in the rpm's at?

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
You are just looking at this as a swap of the SD card in place of the express card reader and that's it.

The gain to the majority of users (if in fact the percentage of users actually using the express card slot is a low percentage) is faster processor, better video card, longer lasting battery, better screen quality/gamut all for less $$ for the "pro" it just replaced at the same price level/point.

EPIC FAIL.

You're argument is poor.

Faster Processor: On all but the top end 15" and 17" they've used a lesser CPU with half the L2 Cache.

Better Video Card: The base doesn't even have a dedicated GPU anymore, only the top end 15" and 17" use the same GPU that has been used for nearly 2 years (albeit a rebranded slightly higher clocked GPU) in fact the GPU in the 15" has had it's memory halved unless you buy the high end 15". And on top of this the GPU (9600M which is a rebranded 8600M but clocked slightly higher) was a midrange GPU on it's release over 2 years ago.

Better Display: May very well be, and if so touche.

Longer Lasting Battery: Always a good thing, and I'm not too fussed about a replaceable one, but others are, maybe they should license the magsafe so third parties can come up with a solution for those who need more time between charges.

And again I don't believe the BS about 1% of users using the ExpressCard, but even if that was true as I posted earlier how many of that 1% were using the ExpressCard slot as an SD card reader, well it would be less than 1% wouldn't it, so why even include the SD slot?

xhambonex

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2008

1. I have never used my expresscard slot. It is much easier just to use the cable with my camera. And for my DSLR I have the USB/SD cards because that's just easier.

2. I think he is looking at Apple taking away features. There is no need to change to an SD card slot when the Express card slot can do it. Its also easier to just plug in your camera. And the express card slot is more versatile for people who actually use the pro software Apple creates. And I rather not get started on taking away my screen options.

This explains most of it....

Attachments

• mbp17_unbox07.jpg
    mbp17_unbox07.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 66

BSchorr

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
Sioux Falls
Here they are side by side... neither fits in your pocket.

IMG_0453.jpg

The 1440x900 res on the 15" is the dealbreaker for me. Even if the 17" was twice as thick as the 15", I'd still take the 17" as long as it's got 1920x1200.

Thats BS, they didnt upgrade the 17" with a SD card slot... They said they left the express on the 17 for music devlopers? BS.. less then 1% of people utilized this wether it was teh 15 or 17.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
No. Bad squirrel.

"Pro" = function over form.
"Luxurious" = form over function.

apple_jonathan_ive_steve_jobs(2).jpg

Pro.

paris_chav_29nov08_big_250.jpg

Not Pro.

I think the cheap white plastic macbook is best suited for the education department instead of the aluminum one... i mean cummon guys... those kids aren't pro and don't need the aluminum feature.

A kid (or a learning stage person) with an aluminum MacBook is a luxury.
It's like a pre-school child with an iPhone.

DSCN3911.jpg

They are just learning how to use Mac OS X

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
I think the cheap white plastic macbook is best suited for the education department instead of the aluminum one... i mean cummon guys... those kids aren't pro and don't need the aluminum feature.

A kid (or a learning stage person) with an aluminum MacBook is a luxury.
It's like a pre-school child with an iPhone.

DSCN3911.jpg

They are just learning how to use Mac OS X

are those kids monitored with their laptops? are they only used at certain times of the day or are they theirs to keep and use as they please? if its the later then that is terrible.

Pika

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2008
Japan
are those kids monitored with their laptops? are they only used at certain times of the day or are they theirs to keep and use as they please? if its the later then that is terrible.

It's borrowed by the school for the year to be used at their computer class lesson and all the security & parental control is turned on.

myca

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2005
UK refurbs agogo

Just noticed this and posted it on another thread.

Seems that in the refurb store for £1299 got you the 15" MBP with a 2.66 CPU with 6MB L2 Cache, 512 MB of VRAM, 3 USB ports, FW 800, expresscard.

Now in the main store for £1499 you get a 15" MBP with a 2.66 CPU with 3MB of L2 Cache, 256 MB or VRAM, 2 USB ports, FW800 and no expresscard slot.

Ouch :D

Makes little sense to me, but good news for those after a refurb!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.