Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
This is why we're in the post-PC era and why Microsoft is sinking.

Honestly, I tried to like Windows 8, I installed it for a friend, try to play with it, and it's a mess. It took both of us about 10 minutes to figure out how to pull the Control Panel and change the trackpad settings. In the end, after three days of using it, my friend said: "Forget it!", and I had no choice but to agree with him.

The bad news is that I'm going to have to support it for my clients, for those who dare to install it. :eek:

I believe that Windows 8 is going to hurt Microsoft real bad unless they do something to gain the public's acceptance. The Metro GUI feels like and add-on to the original Windows GUI rather than a new GUI by itself. It feels like something that gets in the way of getting work done.

Oh well, let's see what the final version will bring, but i'm not too excited. I still don't like Windows 7, but I do admit it has gotten better than when it first came out.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Honestly, I tried to like Windows 8, I installed it for a friend, try to play with it, and it's a mess. It took both of us about 10 minutes to figure out how to pull the Control Panel and change the trackpad settings. In the end, after three days of using it, my friend said: "Forget it!", and I had no choice but to agree with him.

The bad news is that I'm going to have to support it for my clients, for those who dare to install it. :eek:

I believe that Windows 8 is going to hurt Microsoft real bad unless they do something to gain the public's acceptance. The Metro GUI feels like and add-on to the original Windows GUI rather than a new GUI by itself. It feels like something that gets in the way of getting work done.

Oh well, let's see what the final version will bring, but i'm not too excited. I still don't like Windows 7, but I do admit it has gotten better than when it first came out.

First off you tried that in the Release Preview right? It doesn't have any tutorials. When Windows RT tablets go on sale, Windows RT will come up with a tutorial that demonstrates how to get the "Charms Bar" so you can get to settings. So that debunks your argument right away.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
As a Android fanboy this commercial is a 100 times better than that Olympic garbage.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
First off you tried that in the Release Preview right? It doesn't have any tutorials. When Windows RT tablets go on sale, Windows RT will come up with a tutorial that demonstrates how to get the "Charms Bar" so you can get to settings. So that debunks your argument right away.

I certainly hope so. The first time I tried Linux and OS X I didn't need any tutorials. Even the server versions of Windows I have installed and configured without having to read anything.
iOS was the easiest to understand, very intuitive. Even Android JB and ICS were easy compared to my first experience with Windows 8.
It just reads "flunk" all over it. it's definitely going to bomb. For being a Release Preview, it should be almost ready; it lacks consistency and logic; that was my first impression, and first impressions do last.

----------

I miss the genius guy. He was cute.

LOL... I really hope you are a girl then. :D

----------

As a Android fanboy this commercial is a 100 times better than that Olympic garbage.

LOL... what is an Android fanboy doing in this forum??? Deep inside I'm sure you like Apple too! :D
(Don't tell anyone, but I have an Android phone... Well, and HD2 running MIUI ICS. And I love it and hate it at the same time! :D)

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
"Who cares about commercials, anyway?" !!!

What kind of question is that!? :eek:

Most of us here care to know about any new Apple commercials, as we have invested our money buying Apple products, it's in our best interest that Apple does well.

Also, all these commercials feature new Apps that may be useful to us.

And the phrase "Apple releases..." is the most appropriate way to indicate that a new commercial is out. Well, they could have said: "Apple launches...", but I'm sure you may have complained as well.

Advertising 101 and Social Psych 101... 90% of advertising's purpose is to confirm for those who've already purchased a product that they've made the right decision.

A) I don't need a TV to reassure me I've made the right decision. The product itself confirms this for me. IMO, if one needs this kind of reassurance, they need their head checked.

B) Really? You learn about new Apple products from TV commercials? I think the 1984 Mac commercial was the last time a commercial came out to announce a forthcoming Apple product. Who here has purchased an Apple product because of advertising?

C) You're right. I probably would've complained about "Apple launches." :)

Edited for clarity.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Advertising 101 and Social Psych 101... 90% of advertising's purpose is to confirm for those who've already purchased a product that they've made the right decision.
I don't know where you got that from, but the real purpose of advertising is to persuade people to buy, and it's basically accomplished by:
- Grab the consumer's attention
- Sustain the consumer's attention
- Transmit the message
- Convince the consumer to accept the message (in this case, to create a need for the product for the consumer, so he/she will come to the conclusion that he/she needs the product, therefore go ahead and buy it.).

Once the consumer has been convinced to buy something, there's no need to confirm anything.

There are cases where some companies (for example, Benetton) may feel the need to confirm their products to their purchasers, but that just indicates a shameful lack of confidence in their own products.

Anything else, may just be cheap theory, most likely from someone who's trying to get attention by preaching a 'new' advertising gospel to sell a book or promote discussion.

A) I don't need a TV to reassure me I've made the right decision. The product itself confirms this for me. IMO, if one needs this kind of reassurance, they need their head checked.

Neither do I, so if 90% of advertising purpose is to confirm a purchase, then companies are wasting their money by doing advertising.

B) Really? You learn about new Apple products from TV commercials? I think the 1984 Mac commercial was the last time a commercial came out to announce a forthcoming Apple product. Who here has purchased an Apple product because of advertising?
Maybe not in this forum, but there a millions of people who bought iPods and iPhones based on advertising, and let's be clear that a TV Ad is not the only way to advertise.

C) You're right. I probably would've complained about "Apple launches." :)
I totally understand there are people who have genetically mutated to be complainers. :D

Edited for clarity.
Thank you... :cool:

pbrooks

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
I don't know where you got that from

I got it from Advertising 101 and Social Psych 101 years ago, back in college. Do a little research, and you'll find that the purpose of advertising is twofold, and has to do with persuasion only tangentially . The first goal of advertising is to keep brand names/products ever present in the mind of the consumer. The second, and more fundamental goal is as I've said, to reassure people that they've made the right purchasing decision. Advertisers create an imagined "identity" or culture around a product that the consumer is supposed to identify with. This makes them feel good, and in turn the consumer assigns positive feelings with the product/brand and are more likely to return to buy that product/brand again.

I wish I still had the textbooks and papers from college to site. Really, I'm not making this up.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I got it from Advertising 101 and Social Psych 101 years ago, back in college. Do a little research, and you'll find that the purpose of advertising is twofold, and has to do with persuasion only tangentially . The first goal of advertising is to keep brand names/products ever present in the mind of the consumer. The second, and more fundamental goal is as I've said, to reassure people that they've made the right purchasing decision. Advertisers create an imagined "identity" or culture around a product that the consumer is supposed to identify with. This makes them feel good, and in turn the consumer assigns positive feelings with the product/brand and are more likely to return to buy that product/brand again.

I wish I still had the textbooks and papers from college to site. Really, I'm not making this up.

I agree with what you wrote above, but not with what you said before:
90% of advertising's purpose is to confirm for those who've already purchased a product that they've made the right decision.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.