Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Just as a counterpoint to all the tales of woe in this thread, updating my December-vintage rMBP from 10.8.4 was painless, and the machine has worked flawlessly all day.

scottrichardson

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Ulladulla, NSW Australia
I installed the update and now my Bluetooth USB dongle no longer works on my Mac Pro. Can't use my magic mouse or trackpad.

Had to connect an old mighty mouse :(

Downloading the combo updater instead to see if that works.

Sad face.

Raima

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2010
This is probably the same problem I'm having. External drive arrays get put to sleep then have trouble waking. I have the preference set to never sleep drives, but it does it anyway.

I rolled back to 10.8.4.

Yeah, I may have to do that too. How do I roll back? Do I need a 10.8.4 install stick?

Also, if I roll back, will it upset my apple server caching which is store on the external raid drive?

And HOW do you expect the HD to NOT wake up when data is required?

The hard drives are configured not to sleep. This is how this was setup in 10.8.4. The iMac itself has been running 99.99% since purchased in early 2010. It is rarely switched off. Being in a raid configuration, it has to spin up 4 drives before I can access my data. This delays access and creates a inconvenience which I didn't have before.

This continual spin up and spin down is putting additional wear and tear on my drives.

I hope this clears any confusion.

Last edited:

accentaudio

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
Kansas City
10.8.5 Broke Camera Usage For 3rd Party Apps Like Skype

Updating to 10.8.5 breaks the built in camera's ability to communicate with 3rd party apps like Skype, Google, etc... WAY TO GO APPLE!!!!! See below the response from the Skype community:

After some investigation, we have found that the OSX 10.8.5 update is missing a specific file that would allow some apps such as Skype or iMovie to access the built-in facetime camera on Mid-2013 MacBook Airs.

At this point, we are not sure how this can be fixed, and we'll get in touch with Apple to see how we can solve this.

From our tests, however, external webcams should work. It's not the best workaround, but until something gets fixed, that is the only known (and hopefuly temporary) solution.

For the more tech-savvy readers:
The 10.8.5 update updated a CoreMediaIO plugin that accesses the MBA camera, but didn't bundle the 32-bits version of it.
Other (older and newer) versions of the OS do include a universal version (32 and 64 bits), but not 10.8.5.
This means 32-bits apps such as Skype or iMovie cannot load the plugin, making the built-in facetime camera invisible to these them.

LlamaLarry

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Northern VA
I can no longer use time machine on my synology NAS.

I don't get how apple can bork these GM updates so badly. There are only a few systems to test on. Its not like its Windows or Linux and its impossible to test on every config.
Well, TM is working perfectly fine on three different 10.8.5 machines here... Two MacBooks and one MBP. Have not installed it on the others as they are running Mavericks DP7.

You didn't mention which Diskstation or what version of DSM; mine is a DS409Slim running DSM 4.2-3211.

You don't mention what the actual problem or error/console message either.

isomorphic

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Yeah, I may have to do that too. How do I roll back? Do I need a 10.8.4 install stick?

Also, if I roll back, will it upset my apple server caching which is store on the external raid drive?

On my server, I only keep OS X on the boot drive. I keep documents on the external array. I have Time Machine backup multiple disks (including the boot drive) to yet another drive.

So, I used System Restore (reboot and hold down Command-R), then restored the boot drive from the Time Machine backup. This *reformatted* the boot drive. In my case, it was made vastly more complex by the presence of FileVault on all drives.

After the restore my system was where it was earlier in the day. (Albeit without encryption, so I had to reenable FileVault on the boot drive, taking 12 hours or so.)

The Time Machine restore did not touch any of my other drives. Just the boot drive.

If you have documents on the boot drive that were updated after your 10.8.5 install (or whenever your last 10.8.4 backup was), you will need to back these up separately prior to your restore, or you will revert to the old versions.

Alternatively, you could copy everything to a backup drive, then nuke and pave with the OS X installer (if you have a pre-10.8.5 version).

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
Is it just me, or does this thread seem to indicate people are experiencing far more problems than any other recent point updates as of late? At least in the 10.8.x scheme of things...

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
You're not alone here. I also installed the combo update on a late 2012 27" iMac. Seemed fine last night during use. Over night the computer went to sleep & this morning when I tried to wake it, for lack of a better term, it bugged out.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard and TrackPad as well as a USB mouse (Razer Naga 2012 for my gaming habits). I woke the machine w/ the keyboard, the screen came on and I tried typing my password into the password dialog but nothing was appearing. I tried a few times to enter the password but nothing was appearing in the dialog, and initially the mouse wasn't visible either but eventually the pointer showed up but I still couldn't click in the password dialog. I should also note that the screen flipped from off to on to off a couple of times, as if toggling the sleep state on its own. No idea WTF that was about.

10 or 15 seconds later, as you said, all the things I did on the keyboard started showing up at once in the password dialog. Very odd.

I did an SMC reset (had already done a PRAM reset yesterday) and will try to reproduce this today. Hopefully I cannot.

Interesting.

I haven't seen it again yet, but I do get slight screen bug outs as it wakes from sleep. I wonder if it's just a cache thing and we never see it again.

Do you have a fusion drive like I do?

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Well for the first time ever... Apple has broken my machines!!

10.8.5 makes my Mac Pro restart after waking from sleep.

Way to go Apple.

Now do I go back to 10.8.4 or go to Mavericks DP7...

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
For the first time ever an update screwed up my system.

I can't access my Bluetooth anymore which is crippling since I have a Wacom that uses it. Anytime I mouse over the right part of the menu bar I get the beach ball.

I didn't have a disk image either of 10.8.4, I could kick myself for that.

Trying permissions repair and PRAM resets as we speak :/

Shirke

macrumors regular
Jan 20, 2013
My 2012 Mac mini randomly restarts after latest update
How to revert back to 10.8.4?

msh

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
SoCal
WARNING TO OTHERS

This update seems to have done something very very bad to drive sleep behavior. I updated a Mac Pro (Early 2009) and a Mac Mini Server (Late 2012). Both have hard drive sleeping disabled under Energy Saver. Before the 10.8.5 update, drives ran without sleeping.

After the 10.8.5 update, drives sleep--then don't wake back up! Or, they may be spinning up but the OS will no longer see them. This is on both internal drives and an external USB3 array.

The 10.8.5 update has made both systems nearly unusable. I am going to have to format and reinstall, or downgrade.

Same here but the drives do wake up and are recognized by the OS. Still, I don't want them sleeping. I have two 4 and 6 disk ZFS pools and there is a 10-20 second delay to spin up and start streaming data plus the possible risk of them not coming up at all without a reboot. Not acceptable.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England
Updating to 10.8.5 breaks the built in camera's ability to communicate with 3rd party apps like Skype, Google, etc... WAY TO GO APPLE!!!!! See below the response from the Skype community:

After some investigation, we have found that the OSX 10.8.5 update is missing a specific file that would allow some apps such as Skype or iMovie to access the built-in facetime camera on Mid-2013 MacBook Airs.

At this point, we are not sure how this can be fixed, and we'll get in touch with Apple to see how we can solve this.

From our tests, however, external webcams should work. It's not the best workaround, but until something gets fixed, that is the only known (and hopefuly temporary) solution.

For the more tech-savvy readers:
The 10.8.5 update updated a CoreMediaIO plugin that accesses the MBA camera, but didn't bundle the 32-bits version of it.
Other (older and newer) versions of the OS do include a universal version (32 and 64 bits), but not 10.8.5.
This means 32-bits apps such as Skype or iMovie cannot load the plugin, making the built-in facetime camera invisible to these them.

Ah, that makes sense... I updated my MBA and then tried to video chat with a friend on Gmail and I couldn't out for the life of me why my camera wasn't being recognized anymore! That's a pretty big bummer...

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Interesting.

I haven't seen it again yet, but I do get slight screen bug outs as it wakes from sleep. I wonder if it's just a cache thing and we never see it again.

Do you have a fusion drive like I do?

I also get slight screen bug outs when waking it from sleep. However I noticed that if I wake the machine, then leave it alone for a little bit (10, 15 seconds, as we noted earlier), there are no screen bug outs and I can enter my password and so on without issue. I think it's simply taking longer than we want it to take to fully wake from sleep, i.e. it's taking a while to load up /var/vm/sleepimage, which could further imply that the disks are taking longer than usual to wake from sleep (as some people here have noted).

My iMac does happen to have the Fusion drive as well, though. It's the high-end configuration of the 27" that's sold at the Apple Store (With the GTX 680MX graphics, Fusion Drive, etc).

origin2000

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2013
WARNING TO OTHERS

This update seems to have done something very very bad to drive sleep behavior. I updated a Mac Pro (Early 2009) and a Mac Mini Server (Late 2012). Both have hard drive sleeping disabled under Energy Saver. Before the 10.8.5 update, drives ran without sleeping.

After the 10.8.5 update, drives sleep--then don't wake back up! Or, they may be spinning up but the OS will no longer see them. This is on both internal drives and an external USB3 array.

The 10.8.5 update has made both systems nearly unusable. I am going to have to format and reinstall, or downgrade.

Can confirm that this issue is not isolated -- I'm having it too. Temporary workaround for me was to disable display sleep, which seems to prevent external drives from spinning down. I can't hear the internal drive in my iMac, so I don't know if it helps with internal drives too.

theloon

macrumors member
Dec 19, 2007
QA is still getting worse

I'm not going to list all the new issues, other people are already doing that.

Apple's QA process seems to be in the ********er. Really basic stuff again, things like File Shares have to redone due to AFP code changes...

It's just getting tedious...

:(

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
I made a bootable usb of 10.8.5 using the "old" way (i.e., by just restoring the InstallESD.dmg file to a USB).

This build of os x is actually newer than the latest mavericks 10.9 dp7 and a lot newer than the bootable 10.9 dp4.

I don't know if this means apple has learned the error of their ways with mavericks which has unnecessarily made it harder to make such a bootable USB - and decided to go back to the "old" way.

Or is this just the mountain lion way, therefore easier. Too bad if you have mavericks. Will apple just make it harder for that in future, just as they have already? In fact they didn't just change it once, but twice with mavericks. Will they change it again and again and again just to confuse everyone? What purpose does this serve?

Just in case if you thought the first change wasn't confusing enough in DP1 where you have to make invisible files visible and hack your usb to make it bootable, we have to give a rather convoluted command in terminal to make a bootable dp4 usb.

I appreciate that these mavericks dps are just previews and apple may want to experiment with new ways of doing things. But so far these new ways are much worse than the old way. If they want to experiment, that's great, but do it in a way that makes it easier, not harder. If they can't make it easier then the only really acceptable change in the next bootable mavericks installer will be to go back to the "old" way of doing it.

Do we necessarily need a new way of making bootable usbs? Probably not.

But I think I've seen enough comments from developers that the Mac App Store needs a revamp to handle beta updates in a more stable way to say that apple should focus their attention to the MAS, not on alternative ways of making bootable usbs - which is just going to confuse everyone anyway.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.