Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lcmazza

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2012
Custom HiDPI modes for external monitors are still blocked by Apple.

This is infuriating. :mad::(

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I think Apple uses automatic tests, which are able to detect certain errors.

And completely unable to detect others, as witnessed by the various "WiFi doesn't work on the new Apple xxx" and "Apple testing patch for yyyy problem on new Apple zzzz" threads.

And, wouldn't you think, that if Apple's automatic testing were so good -- you'd never see a bug in a DP that needed to be fixed for a Release Candidate? Hell, if it's that good then there's no need for DPs and RCs - just ship it raw.... :eek:

Automated testing is an important part of QA - but it's no substitute for letting lots of real users use the software in their real lives.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Safari is still effed up. Crashes left and right, for example when you pinch out to the tab view and back into a tab again.

But since no one else seem to complain, I'm starting to guess it's just me. Or can anyone say they have the same thing?
I've known many using Safari on Mavericks, nobody's mentioned it to me.

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't they the same thing?

No, GM can still be tested and re-released if there are serious showstoppers found. Apple re-released a GM a while ago because of a bug. Final release means it's the one that is going to be on the machines for good, no more updates.

I think Apple uses automatic tests, which are able to detect certain errors.

Unit tests has nothing to do with GM process. Apple'd use them during any type of development since OS X is huge.

DPs do have bug fixes, that's a fact. GM just appears to have more bug fixes because Apple often takes a long time before the last DP and the GM, so they have more time to fix them.

Thrifty1

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2009
When someone gets it installed, let me know if Airplay is fixed please!

Yes, very glad this is fixed. I have no problem mirroring my MacBook Air screen via Apple TV again. I did not realize how much I used this until DP6 broke it for me.

xxhatchxx

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Safari is running much smoother and the proclaimed "smooth" scrolling on the retina MacBooks is actually smooth now. I was scrolling through iPhoto and it for once kept up without lagging behind trying to load the photos.

Last edited by a moderator:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
No, GM can still be tested and re-released if there are serious showstoppers found. Apple re-released a GM a while ago because of a bug. Final release means it's the one that is going to be on the machines for good, no more updates.

How can you have multiple GMs ? :eek: If you re-release, the GM isn't the GM, the new GM might be the GM, or it might be replaced by a newer GM, if that GM is OK otherwise that GM isn't the GM and there's a new GM. Rinse, repeat.

Why not call them release candidates? The final RC that is actually sent to the customers is the GM.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Do you think Google has to pay Hershey to use Kit Kat?

It's mutual - no money exchanged hands.

Google names their latest Android OS 'Kit Kat', as sort of an advertisement for Hershey, and Hershey puts Green Androids on their Kit Kat wrappers (and probably in TV commercials).

Both parties are benefited.

kitkat_android_wrapper.jpg

Now if only the surfers around the Mavericks could get Apple tattoos.....

apple_tattoo.jpg

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
What about calling an OS 'Kit Kat'?

Not sure if this has been covered (somewhere) yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OKOrkLxOBoY

It is kinda funny, and like the Samsung ads, I feel that (as a bit of an Apple fan) I'm always having the last laugh with all the desperate anti-Apple advertising and mocking of Apple's own (current) style of advertising.

Another example - here in Australia, every time I click on a mobile phone or Apple article on the local online newspaper, I'm presented with a massive "iChanged" advert from Samsung, which completely surrounds the article I'm reading. But as I loathe Samsung (Samedung?), I tend to get more annoyed these days when their advertising diarrhoea lands on my screen, over and over again.

The more recent Windows Mobile ad, though, had me in stitches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19vR1GldRI&list=PLB8CF84DDCB5D3F5B&index=43

Last edited:

chrisjarmstrong

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2008
Anyone notice this?

It just popped up on the finder and takes you to a place holder page.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 6.34.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-03 at 6.34.19 PM.png
    569.6 KB · Views: 666

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
What makes you say this update is full of bloat?
Because it has Wallpapers?

I'm exaggerating about the bloat but seriously... What developer input does Apple need regarding "wallpapers"? :confused: These could have been saved for the GM.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Because it has Wallpapers?

I'm exaggerating about the bloat but seriously... What developer input does Apple need regarding "wallpapers"? :confused: These could have been saved for the GM.

Historically this is always the time that apple includes the wallpapers, I don't know why but this path to release seems to always reach the end once the wallpapers are included.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.