Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Atomic bombs explode. If they imploded they would become black holes which are some kind of *s. So you would go Black to my Mac.

OT but.. Actually the atom bombs that have been used like Fat Man first imploded and then exploded. With ilmplosion of few ms one can achieve higher yield.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Anybody else getting popup notifications that they can't coonnect to their airport extreme? I had it happen like 4 or 5 times since upgrading.

Also I got slower performance a few times and had to turn the wifi off and then back on to get internet back on my Mac.

No, otherwise I really would have tossed my toy's out of the pram....Signal from TC AE all good, no dropouts....I guess that's something.

Sound214

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2011
Sweden
As long as you can still download, just download Airport Utility 6 from Apple and install it manually... That does sound like some sort of corruption though. You may way to try running a permissions repair on your HDD from Disk Utility.

I've tried both suggestions, but it doesn't help. I've also tried deleting the current (5.5.3) installed Airport Utility with AppZapper, but that doesn't help either...

Last edited:

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
I'm loving the update. Nice look and breaks it down even simpler...not dumbing down. It all depends on how you view it.

Reading all the backlash from the techies in this thread is comedy.

Techies hate moving technology forward for the masses. It's quite ironic if you think about it since the only way you can really move technology forward is to make it accessible and useable by the masses.

ItsOnlyMeToo

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2012
No RADIUS MAC authentication!

Just like on the iOS version of the AirPort Admin Utility, Apple has for some bizarre reason decided to remove the RADIUS MAC Authentication settings screen...but retain the related Timed Access Settings screen. I had to downgrade to 5.6 to regain this setting...which is apparently only available when 802.1x authentication is enabled, and then only to use for username/password verification.

Why on earth would Apple remove the RADIUS MAC Authentication screen? Why not keep it unobtrusive and bury it with the Timed Access Settings screen?

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
I'm loving the update. Nice look and breaks it down even simpler...not dumbing down. It all depends on how you view it.

Reading all the backlash from the techies in this thread is comedy.

Well, if taking away features is not dumbing down then what do you call it? How hard is it to realize that probably no one is objecting making the AirPort Utility easier to use. Users object because features have been taken away. This makes perfect sense to normal human being but undoubtably if one views the world thru apple tinted glasses then it might be hard to understand...

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Moving forward is fine but the problem I have with this update is that it does not serve the average user. They are not moving forward. The average user benefits from sharing a printer across the network and they will benefit from having IPv6 support in the future. Some ISPs already offer native IPv6 connections and this will only increase in the future. Apple has no choice but to offer IPv6 support if it wants to keep selling their Airport devices.

The biggest problem I have with this update is the removal the logs and stats because it aids whoever troubleshoots the network when Average Joe has problems. Apple simply made it impossible to do so which leaves techies with no other choice but to recommend replacing the unit. Quite costly and because of that techies will probably recommend something that is easy to set up and maintain so somebody can actually troubleshoot it should a new problem arise.

The other wifi features that were removed was actually sensible to do so because they either worked partially or not at all or even caused more problems than it could solve (wireless robustness for example :X). It is better to remove them all together in that case. But not having IPv6 and logs in this era? What monkey came up with that?!

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Sheesh, can I update the modem firmware without updating the utility? I wouldn't mind a patch for some issues I've been having.

Is it possible to rollback?

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Well, if taking away features is not dumbing down then what do you call it? How hard is it to realize that probably no one is objecting making the AirPort Utility easier to use. Users object because features have been taken away. This makes perfect sense to normal human being but undoubtably if one views the world thru apple tinted glasses then it might be hard to understand...

Just like on the iOS version of the AirPort Admin Utility, Apple has for some bizarre reason decided to remove the RADIUS MAC Authentication settings screen...but retain the related Timed Access Settings screen. I had to downgrade to 5.6 to regain this setting...which is apparently only available when 802.1x authentication is enabled, and then only to use for username/password verification.

Why on earth would Apple remove the RADIUS MAC Authentication screen? Why not keep it unobtrusive and bury it with the Timed Access Settings screen?

I'm the kind of guy where I don't mind things getting simpler, as long as it's not at the expense of features.

In smaller companies that don't have the resources to support some stuff, I can understand. But Apple makes billions of dollars in profits every year so they do have the resources support these features.

Also, I don't mind fit's something like FCP since other people can create movie editing software. But when it comes to just managing your OS & hardware, only Apple can add the features. For some reason (I'm weird like that :p ) I thought of a little kid who wants a dog, but doesn't want to take the responsibility to walk & feed him. My feeling is if Apple really wants to provide these products, give us the tools to use it.

</rant>

Moving forward is fine but the problem I have with this update is that it does not serve the average user. They are not moving forward. The average user benefits from sharing a printer across the network and they will benefit from having IPv6 support in the future. Some ISPs already offer native IPv6 connections and this will only increase in the future. Apple has no choice but to offer IPv6 support if it wants to keep selling their Airport devices.

The biggest problem I have with this update is the removal the logs and stats because it aids whoever troubleshoots the network when Average Joe has problems. Apple simply made it impossible to do so which leaves techies with no other choice but to recommend replacing the unit. Quite costly and because of that techies will probably recommend something that is easy to set up and maintain so somebody can actually troubleshoot it should a new problem arise.

The other wifi features that were removed was actually sensible to do so because they either worked partially or not at all or even caused more problems than it could solve (wireless robustness for example :X). It is better to remove them all together in that case. But not having IPv6 and logs in this era? What monkey came up with that?!

Well said.

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
Should I? I'm an average....

user. Probably below average. LOL

I'm just a guy who is new to Apple and just picked up a iMac and a MBP in the last year. I also scored a used Airport Extreme to replace my crappy Belkin unit at the house. Not a gamer, just want internet access when I want it with no complications and a little security, even though my nearest neighbor is likely 3 acres away.

Not a power user by any means, so the question is:

Do I upgrade to the most current version or not?

bamerican

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
Great. How about fixing the Airport drivers for Snow Leopard already that constantly diminish reception for those of us with machines that can't operate Lion?

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Or you could just change to using Windows 8, Windows Phone 8, Office "15", & Visual Studio 2012/13 along with Windows Live Skydrive when they're released.

They're basically OSX, iOS, iWork, Xcode, & iCloud done right. The next wave of products MS is releasing this year and early part of next year will be their most important & in my opinion their best products they've released in a decade. I for one cannot wait.

Do you meant to say that VisualStudio will be free, like Xcode is?

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
I am glad everyone thinks it is so wonderful that they are making it look more iOS like. For those of us who could care less and would rather have our features we are forced to redownload the older version. There is no longer any archive features to backup the data on our Time Capsules with a USB hard drive.

Thanks for continuing to take features away for those of us that need them Apple.

Bluefusion

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2003
New York, NY
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

coolfactor said:
I just keep wondering about how little Snow Leopard has received love from Apple lately. It might be just me, but didn't Apple use to support their second-latest OS far better than they do now? Not everyone wants to move to Lion.

Out of curiosity, do you have a reason for not _wanting_ to update to Lion? It can't be the price, at just $30. It's very similar to Snow Leopard and some of its "change for change's sake" features can be disabled with simple Terminal commands. Pretty soon, you'll forget you upgraded but you'll enjoy the latest goodies.

Now, if you _can't_ upgrade (ie. due to older hardware), that's a different story.

- wifi bug
- finder window focus bug
- iCal's new hideous look
- address book's removal of key features
- slower, more sluggish animations
- worse battery life
- inability to run (marginally) older apps
- disappearing disk space
- mission control does less than exposé
- hidden scroll bars obscure useful information
- can no longer drag file from the desktop into an exposé window
- must upgrade in order to use iCloud, for no reason whatsoever (except money-grabbing)
- finder "catagorize" bug (labels that should be at top appear as folders)
I could go on, and on, and on.

fstlambo

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2010
OK so I downloaded the update (6.0) and now it wont even show my Airport Extreme or any other base stations that I can usually pick up. Why can't it find my airport? I even downloaded and install version 5.6 and it now couldn't find anything. What do I do?

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Well the 6.0 client has been yanked from the support site and the App Store.

Really? That was quick. I didn't catch the passwords issue, and maybe that's why...

LATER: Either it's back, or it never left. I just got it for another system off Software Update...
----------

I'm just a guy who is new to Apple and just picked up a iMac and a MBP in the last year. I also scored a used Airport Extreme to replace my crappy Belkin unit at the house. Not a gamer, just want internet access when I want it with no complications and a little security, even though my nearest neighbor is likely 3 acres away.

I'd say go for it. Change isn't bad, and if you're a newbie, you won't miss the old version. Simpler isn't always bad.

Last edited:

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK

You sound like me, so yes. :D

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010

Why the heck would you not upgrade to it? The app is made specifically for 98% of the population. People just like you. You don't plan on getting into all the nooks and crannies of setting up advanced networks. But for the things that 98% of people do with networks, you really need it to be done easier. It's really sad that so called "power users" get on these forums and confuse people as to what Apple is doing is good for the consumer or not.

The truth is, Apple is being more consumer friendly and that's obviously good for people. If Apple wanted to be anti-consumer they would remove this new app and replace it with the older and harder to use app. But the power users would like that. You see, what's good for consumers is often at odds with what's good for the so called "power users".

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

- wifi bug
- finder window focus bug
- iCal's new hideous look
- address book's removal of key features
- slower, more sluggish animations
- worse battery life
- inability to run (marginally) older apps
- disappearing disk space
- mission control does less than exposé
- hidden scroll bars obscure useful information
- can no longer drag file from the desktop into an exposé window
- must upgrade in order to use iCloud, for no reason whatsoever (except money-grabbing)
- finder "catagorize" bug (labels that should be at top appear as folders)
I could go on, and on, and on.

Some of those are UI issues that can be fixed but I wasn't aware of the others. Yeah, I wasn't happy at the 'thou shalt upgrade to Lion' edict, but it hasn't been all bad. I just miss Mobileme. It seemed to work more consistently than the new iCloud which has failed me a few times already and with which I can't get calendars to sync properly between devices...

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
Updated the firmware but there doesn't seem to be an update for the windows version of the airport utility (old one still works too) so meh. My AP Extreme still seems rock solid. I take a more wait and see attitude on what future apple software updates bring esp considering the old version is still around and likely the new one will eventually be feature complete.

Note: I do own a mac but its not on and I can only remote into the windows box from work...

Anyway, if anyone is really serious about switching here is a list of dual band wireless n routers sorted by rating and you may notice, like I did, who's still on top... Linky

You can always get a different router that supports DD-WRT or Tomato

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.