Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I would not want to have been around when Apple released the original Mac and you were complaining how it was such a dumbed down version of the Apple II.

The thing is, the Mac *WAS* a dumbed down version of the Apple II.

In fact, I wanted nothing to do with Macs until Mac OS X came out, which was a full-fledged UNIX system that finally made up for all the deficiencies in the original OS.

As of right now Mac OS X is a very capable system, both easy to use for new users with power under the hood for those who need it. I just don't want to lose that power under the hood.

derickdub

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
VA
I can now use air print from my iOS devices too. It wouldn't do this before. Perhaps this update has something to do with this also?

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
I have never felt the way Apple makes me feel right now. It's like they've become all-out hostile to power users and options.
Some people felt that way when Apple killed the XServe.

Some people felt that way when Apple killed Final Cut Pro.

Some people felt that way when Apple killed Rosetta.

Some people felt that way when Apple killed XCode 4 for 10.6.

Some people felt that way when Apple killed Quicktime 7.

Some people felt that way about AutoSaveDestruct.

Some people felt that way when their favourite programs had to remove functionality to be allowed in the App Store.

Apple got only 14% of their revenue from computers last quarter, and 'power users' are just a fraction of that. They don't need us any more. Gooble gobble, we accept you, we accept you, one of us, one of us!

camardelle

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2011
Texas
You will lose the following with v6.0:

- SNMP configuration
- Syslog configuration
- IPv6 configuration
- 802.11x configuration
- Log viewing

That's not a problem for me as I don't know what any of that is. LOL Like I said, I'm no power user, just a user.

Working late but I'll upgrade before my airport extreme arrives, that way it'll all be brand new to me. Thanks for everyone's input. I always appreciate the information.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I would not want to have been around when Apple released the original Mac and you were complaining how it was such a dumbed down version of the Apple II.

Huh? I used an Apple II decades ago and hated it. If the Mac is a 'dumbed down version of the Apple II' then I guess that's what humanity needed was a GUI that didn't suck that allowed people to format disks and load programs, etc, without having to remember long convoluted command line incantations.

When I think of ALL of the early computers I cringe and am damn glad that someone made a 'computer for the rest of us', and I I'm not a noob either. I used a PDP8-i for years and cut my teeth programming a PDP11/70 and moved up to a VAX11/780. I used RSTS and RSX (and TOPS20) back in the 'good old days' when the place to be was in the heavily air conditioned mainframe room behind the securely locked door. Now THOSE where the days...

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
Moving forward is fine but the problem I have with this update is that it does not serve the average user. They are not moving forward. The average user benefits from sharing a printer across the network[...]

Which you are still able to do.

Huh? I used an Apple II decades ago and hated it. If the Mac is a 'dumbed down version of the Apple II' then I guess that's what humanity needed was a GUI that didn't suck that allowed people to format disks and load programs, etc, without having to remember long convoluted command line incantations.

That's his point. :)

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The thing is, the Mac *WAS* a dumbed down version of the Apple II.

In fact, I wanted nothing to do with Macs until Mac OS X came out, which was a full-fledged UNIX system that finally made up for all the deficiencies in the original OS.

As of right now Mac OS X is a very capable system, both easy to use for new users with power under the hood for those who need it. I just don't want to lose that power under the hood.

But a true 'dumbed down version of the Apple II' would be compatible with the Apple II I'd think... The Apple II was good as long as you had a program to run on it. I didn't want to work any harder on a 'toy' computer. Then the Lisa, and the Mac came out and they shook the beast Microsoft and the GUI was the place to be.

I love OS X in that if you really have to 'get poop done', you can slip into terminal and hopefully not slip a noose over your head...

But anyway, back to the subject at hand: Any utility that isn't user abusive is a win for the user. I don't know how many utility programs I've beat my head against and ended up feeling like it was all just because they wanted to be butt heads and write crappy code.

My opinion is that programs should be elegant and above all USEFUL! Anything that looks like a weapon that a user could use on themselves should have a password or some other type of 'hey, this gun is loaded' message so that only the stupid pull the trigger. Making a utility abusive to technicians is just cruel... I have to get on to the next fire, and hopefully remember what the utility does and how to use it for the next time.

But anyway...

----------

That's his point. :)

Sorry, I was hoping that my two posts were going to be together in the same single post...

Whatever...

encro

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2002
bendigo.victoria.au

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Well, if taking away features is not dumbing down then what do you call it? How hard is it to realize that probably no one is objecting making the AirPort Utility easier to use. Users object because features have been taken away. This makes perfect sense to normal human being but undoubtably if one views the world thru apple tinted glasses then it might be hard to understand...

As I had already stated in my original post, I see it as "simplifying" which doesn't necessarily have to equate to "dumbing down".

And if I can do the the most used and basic functions faster and easier than the last, more complex version, what would you call that? I call that improved productivity.

boraxatude

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2011
All I know is my airport express/airtunes no longer has intermittent dropouts and 5ghz signal strength on the extreme is stronger.

bigjoshua

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2011
AirPort Utility vers. 6

Apple for some reason damped support for USB connected printer to Airport Extreme. Also no section where you can setup syslog server and SNMP.
So be aware of this two missed items.

Also AirPort Utility 6 available only for OS X 10.7.

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Yes it is.

Especially when replaced with a much inferior alternative, as Apple is doing.

Phazer
It is a given that if feature x gets replaced with an inferior alternative, it is a bad thing. There is a meaning to the word inferior that rarely translates in positive self-talk :rolleyes:

But when people despair the loss of the filesystem because the program saves all your edits by default and you need to duplicate a file to 'save as', well ... it is a given that those people don't know the subject they are discussing. This has been the discussion I've had with people worried about losing the filesystem. Despite claims to be a great tech they don't understand computers.

A computer is good at doing repetitive tasks. I agree; configuring a router is not one of those things, and getting some files media off or onto IOS is mind gnashing at times. And when things go wrong I'm very happy to trawl through files trying to identify the problem. But I can't fathom why I should even be reminded of their existence when everything is hunky dory.

Getting back on topic [sorry for the diversion] I'm disappointed too as to why they don't make more use of advanced buttons to hide 'confusing' settings.

Adam7

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2012
Haarlem, NL
This rant seems quite weird considering that Apple also released Airport Utility 5.6 today with all the same features you had before. And you can actually install and use both concurrently. So you have the... you know... option to use whichever UI you want.

Perhaps you can help me with the following then:

I use a Time Capsule and a first generation Airport Express. The latter is joined to my Time Capsule network and connected to my stereo.
With this setup, I used my iMac for wi-fi internet browsing and AirPlay at the same time without any problems whatsoever. Until yesterday:
After installing Airport Utility 6.0 Airplay will not work with the ole Express.
Checking with the utility 6.0 it states it 'does not support this (Express) base station, and suggests using the Utility 5.6.
Installed Utility 5.6 and all looks like it used to, reports all is fine. Except Airplay won't connect.
Utility 6.0 can no longer be uninstalled, not even with 5.6 installed alongside.

It seems 6.0 has somehow disconnected my old Express from Airplay because of age(?)
Must I now buy a new generation Airport Express if I want to use Airplay from my iMac, or what is the trick?
Strangely, Airplay in both my (fully up-to-date) iPhone and iPad works flawlessly with the existing setup and the old Airport Express.
Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

Update: although tried before, a reset of the Express and a restart of iMac somehow fixed the problem.

Last edited:

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Oh nice. It seems that if you have an extended wireless network set up (I have a wireless bridge between a time capsule and an AEBS) and change any settings with the 6.0 utility, it loses the WDS config needed to extend the network. I had to go back and re-add it with the 5.6 utility.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Apple for some reason damped support for USB connected printer to Airport Extreme. Also no section where you can setup syslog server and SNMP.
So be aware of this two missed items.

Also AirPort Utility 6 available only for OS X 10.7.

as far as USB printer support. Apple is probably starting to assume that more and more people are owning wifi printers

What is this new iCloud support?

If you had mobileme there was a feature called back to my mac. It allows you to to screen sharing with a mac connected on your home network as well as access files on any computer on the network or time capsule drive or drive hooked up on the network. When icloud was released this feature was not available, so they just re-enabled something that has been around for awhile now

----------

my solution to lack of features in the 6.0 utility is to only install it on my imac. That way i can use the back to my mac stuff. My MBP will stay on 5.6 so i can still manage everything else 6.0 is missing

ct2k7

macrumors G3
Aug 29, 2008
London
as far as USB printer support. Apple is probably starting to assume that more and more people are owning wifi printers

If you had mobileme there was a feature called back to my mac. It allows you to to screen sharing with a mac connected on your home network as well as access files on any computer on the network or time capsule drive or drive hooked up on the network. When icloud was released this feature was not available, so they just re-enabled something that has been around for awhile now

----------

my solution to lack of features in the 6.0 utility is to only install it on my imac. That way i can use the back to my mac stuff. My MBP will stay on 5.6 so i can still manage everything else 6.0 is missing

For the good few years I had MobileMe, I didn't know of Back To My Mac :/

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Where on earth are you getting this nonsense? I personally own one AirPort Extreme, one Time Capsule and one AirPort Express. None of them are state of the art when it comes down to wireless speeds, configuration flexibility or reception quality. However, they are very easy to configure and maintain. The 6.0 version didn't bring any enhancements but took away features. What is the point of making easy interface for product that has one of the easiest interfaces in the market already if it means you have to take away features. This is what I call a epic fail. I'm all for making it easy but if it means taking away features then it means the developer needs to find another way to make it more approachable. I honestly don't know why apple just didn't introduce "show advanced options" feature.

I don't think there is a single review that has said Apple has best wireless routing equipment on the market. They are probably one of the easiest to use but far from most robust and reliable. Your comments about making it easier to use has some merit but making it more reliable is nonsense. Airport Utility has nothing to do with reliability of AirPort base station. It's down to the FW or HW solutions used.

Your comparisons between cars and crankshafts are without a point. Hell, while we're at it you can call the new Airport Utility a car without steering wheel, just add tracks and you got a train. Unfortunately it seems Apple heading towards just that, cars without steering wheels strapped to railway tracks so user can do very little effect where she / he is going.

http://wireless-router-review.toptenreviews.com/airport-extreme-review.html

Well, there is at least one that has Apple routers as serious contenders.

I think that you didn't understand most of the references that I made in that post, perhaps you're young or just not knowledgeable. The mention of 'luddites' should have been sufficient. You've completely missed the point when it comes to keys and crankshafts. When I mentioned that cars used to be started using a crank it had nothing to do with crankshafts, that are still used in car engines today. It was in reference to the constant process of old technology being replaced with new technology, and the people who consider themselves to be 'techies' despite never wanting anything to change.

Techies are about 2% of the user base but are responsible for about 98% of the whining whenever anything changes. It's really not my concern that your knowledge of car technology is low or that you apparently don't read reviews before buying products.

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
Which you are still able to do.
You mean "which you can't do any more". You might want to download the Airport Utility 6.0, install it and then actually use it. If you look for the printer sharing options...well, they are not there any more. They are in 5.6 and previous. Basically you have to resort to other options if you want to share a printer across the network. That's the entire problem. Luckily for us there are many other options, unfortunately for Apple, those are mostly non-Apple ones. If somebody asked why to use an Airport product the question now seems to be more like "no idea, get something else" than it was before. The problem with that is that some of your customers will run to the competition. This situation is a very nice and helpful one for the competition, they can take use of that.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
You mean "which you can't do any more".

No, I don't. As far as I can tell "sharing a printer across the network" still works. Plug it in, go into System Preferences->"Print & Scan", and you should be able to add a new Bonjour printer without any configuration necessary.

You might want to download the Airport Utility 6.0, install it and then actually use it. If you look for the printer sharing options...well, they are not there any more.

Yes, but you don't actually need the options to share a printer, do you? I never had a use for that configuration pane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.