Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Getting ready to switch to Mac...will be looking for advice.

Any advantages of going with Safari vs Firefox (besides the fact I am used to Firefox).

Thanks all in advance.
If you're running Snow Leopard, 64-bit Safari is considerably faster than 32-bit Safari on Leopard and earlier... and Firefox hasn't made the leap to 64-bit land yet (but I hear rumors that it will soon, maybe as soon as 3.6 hits final).

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
I have noticed one problem all ready!

in Safari 4.0.3 go to get to Top sites from web site you would hit "Command" "Shift" "1"

and now in Safari 4.0.4 you have to hit "Command" "Option" "1"

I wonder why that changed?

I got a little bit confused when "Command" "Shift" "1" didn't work for me.

So I went to System Preferences, Keyboard, Application Shortcuts, and I made a shortcut for "Show Top Sites" to be "Command" "Shift" "1" .

tirerim

macrumors regular
Aug 4, 2006
I got a little bit confused when "Command" "Shift" "1" didn't work for me.

So I went to System Preferences, Keyboard, Application Shortcuts, and I made a shortcut for "Show Top Sites" to be "Command" "Shift" "1" .

Yeah, that's what I'm going to have to do -- I already have cmd-opt-1 set to something (for SizzlingKeys). I won't be upgrading until Saft is updated, though.

Xenious

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2004
Texas, USA
Worked fine, but disk utility found a large amount of .css files which had to have their write permissions removed on the middle set...maybe group? I forget.

gwang73

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2009
California
What a week for updates from the Apple guys… OS X 10.6.2 then followed by Safari 4.0.4, and now my 5th gen iPod Nano and everything is working great.

BTW, Flash still sucks.

friesengeistno1

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
I have noticed one problem all ready!

in Safari 4.0.3 go to get to Top sites from web site you would hit "Command" "Shift" "1"

and now in Safari 4.0.4 you have to hit "Command" "Option" "1"

I wonder why that changed?

I'm happy with this change... it's a little easier to press cmd+opt with just a thumb.
This change made the update worthwhile for me^^

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....
Worked fine, but disk utility found a large amount of .css files which had to have their write permissions removed on the middle set...maybe group? I forget.

Yep. I repaired permissions after getting 10.6.2 when it came out and there was one entry I think. I just repaired permissions after getting Safari 4.0.4 and there was a lot that needed repairing.
Do this if you haven't already. It may prevent headaches later!

slapppy

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2008
Not for Windows use

I'd love to use Safari but.... No full Active-X, Sharepoint, .asp, .net.... can't use it at all. Gotta stick with Internet Explorer.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Since nobody else has said it yet, I'll do the honors.... Safari definitely feels snappier!

hutchman

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
still bad on iGoogle and Apple Store

Still lame. Firefox 3 works fine on iGoogle and the Apple Store (esp. once you click a product). Safari 4.0.4 continues to flail on both. Safari not working with the store.apple.com is a wee bit ironic.

jimoase

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2007
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

This site http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php
takes 12 seconds to load and then 2 minutes and 40 seconds to complete rendering.

This Safari problem has existed since the transition from Safari 2.x to Safari 3.x and now into version after version of Safari 4.x

The result is jerky scrolling because of delayed user input, a delay of nearly a second.

This same site will render and animate with FireFox before you can get your finger off the mouse click.

I believe Safari has a core design issue for this problem to remain after 3 years of nightly builds of WebKit and several releases of Safari.

Please try this site and report your findings to Apple.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Getting ready to switch to Mac...will be looking for advice.

Any advantages of going with Safari vs Firefox (besides the fact I am used to Firefox).

Thanks all in advance.
•Wicked fast
•Can use Cocoa features of OS X like Services, Spell Check, Hover Dictionary (hold Command+Control+D while mousing over a word), and auto text substitution (in Snow Leopard).
•Starts up much faster than Firefox.
•Excellent native PDF support.

If you like a browser to be a browser …you'll love Safari. If you are a plugin nut you're better off sticking with Firefox.

You may want to look into Camino as well. It's kind of like a Safari/Firefox hybrid. "Mozilla Power, Mac Style" http://caminobrowser.org/

I'm a Safari guy myself.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
takes 12 seconds to load and then 2 minutes and 40 seconds to complete rendering.

This Safari problem has existed since the transition from Safari 2.x to Safari 3.x and now into version after version of Safari 4.x

The result is jerky scrolling because of delayed user input, a delay of nearly a second.

This same site will render and animate with FireFox before you can get your finger off the mouse click.

I believe Safari has a core design issue for this problem to remain after 3 years of nightly builds of WebKit and several releases of Safari.

Site loads, renders, and looks great instantly for me in Safari. I am on a 20mb connection though. Scrolling and so on is fluid and perfect.

Morod

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
On The Nickel, over there....

Worked fine on mine. Loaded/fully functional within 4 seconds.

displaced

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2003
Gravesend, United Kingdom

Works absolutely fine here (Safari 4.0.4, 2006-era 1st-gen MacBook Pro). 10Mbit broadband connection. Looks like it's something specific to your configuration.

Papajohn56

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2005
Any time I do a cold-start of Safari and open a new tab with Cmd-T, it always beachballs on me and I have to force quit and re-launch. I don't understand this idiocy. Even with the new update and repairing permissions this happens.

Also animated GIFs don't auto-play in Safari 4 for me

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
Still lame. Firefox 3 works fine on iGoogle and the Apple Store (esp. once you click a product). Safari 4.0.4 continues to flail on both. Safari not working with the store.apple.com is a wee bit ironic.
I've never had a problem with the Apple store in Safari. What issue are you running into? Also, how many plugins are you using?

kubism

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2009
Just updated.. and safari does feel like its running a lot snappier.. and so far no crashes from watching Hulu !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.