Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Still lame. Firefox 3 works fine on iGoogle and the Apple Store (esp. once you click a product). Safari 4.0.4 continues to flail on both. Safari not working with the store.apple.com is a wee bit ironic.

Those sites, especially, should work. They do for me.

With Safari open, you should consider:

edfaaf0800f8ca26598b4b55cf8199e4.png

92418e9b3e183d9cd40390618d42cad2.png

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Once you leave the coziness of your home to go back to corporate land where most of us have to go to earn their living, you will quickly find out that the poster was right: Most of the time there is no way around using Internet Explorer. Most corporate Intranets require IE to work properly. And while Sharepoint also works acceptable with Firefox nowadays, it's only really comfortable to use with IE. And since Sharepoint has become a de facto standard in many corporate environments, you know what browser you want to use with it.

And that, once again, leads us back to this reality: Apple is not a player in the corporate field. They're a consumer brand.

Jason Lee

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
This site http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php
takes 12 seconds to load and then 2 minutes and 40 seconds to complete rendering.

This Safari problem has existed since the transition from Safari 2.x to Safari 3.x and now into version after version of Safari 4.x

The result is jerky scrolling because of delayed user input, a delay of nearly a second.

This same site will render and animate with FireFox before you can get your finger off the mouse click.

I believe Safari has a core design issue for this problem to remain after 3 years of nightly builds of WebKit and several releases of Safari.

Please try this site and report your findings to Apple.

No problems.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
takes 12 seconds to load and then 2 minutes and 40 seconds to complete rendering.

This Safari problem has existed since the transition from Safari 2.x to Safari 3.x and now into version after version of Safari 4.x

The result is jerky scrolling because of delayed user input, a delay of nearly a second.

This same site will render and animate with FireFox before you can get your finger off the mouse click.

I believe Safari has a core design issue for this problem to remain after 3 years of nightly builds of WebKit and several releases of Safari.

Using Safari, for me, this site will render and animate in less than seven seconds. I was waiting for something more to happen and, after seven seconds, I realized that the page was done.

The problem is probably something with the way that your Mac is set up with Safari plug-ins, etc.

hutchman

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2009
Still bad on iGoogle and Apple Store

I've never had a problem with the Apple store in Safari. What issue are you running into? Also, how many plugins are you using?

At store.apple.com it fails on the first or second click with "server unexpectedly dropped connection." iGoogle custom home page loads only partially -- some gadgets show only the title bar, and none of them show the settings dropdown. Again, no problem in Firefox.

Other people have seen the same trouble:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2158001>
<http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/464007302041>

No hacks, just plug-ins that aren't too fancy. Maybe slightly unusual: WebEx, Dimdim, Move Networks player.

I do use OpenDNS, but that's at the OS level so doesn't explain why Firefox would work fine.

zweigand

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2003
At store.apple.com it fails on the first or second click with "server unexpectedly dropped connection." iGoogle custom home page loads only partially -- some gadgets show only the title bar, and none of them show the settings dropdown. Again, no problem in Firefox.

Other people have seen the same trouble:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2158001>
<http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/464007302041>

No hacks, just plug-ins that aren't too fancy. Maybe slightly unusual: WebEx, Dimdim, Move Networks player.

I do use OpenDNS, but that's at the OS level so doesn't explain why Firefox would work fine.
I use OpenDNS as well. I also use clicktoflash and 1Password. Never ran into the Apple store problem. I don't use iGoogle so I can't comment on that one.

ctmriguy

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2008
Canada
No problems

Just tried it and it loaded and started animating in less than 5 seconds.

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I am very satisfied with the update, not a single crash yet. For those wondering about Flash, the issues I assume they fixed in the 10.6.2 and Safari 4.0.4 probably relates to the rare occasion where the plugin crashes and crashes the browser - 9/10 when the plugin crashes the worse thing that should happen is the loss of flash content on the page. There is the rare occasion, however, when the plugin dies and takes down the whole browser with it. I hope that some time in the future they extend the process isolation out to individual tabs - there will be an increase in system resource use but I think it is a good use of resources if it means a more robust experience given how important the browser is as an application platform.

RazHyena

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2009
USA
Woah. Safari Turbo Mode. :eek: Nice.

Flash still runs like crap but...wow. Facebook isn't dog slow anymore. :apple:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
At store.apple.com it fails on the first or second click with "server unexpectedly dropped connection." Again, no problem in Firefox.

No plugins here except the Windows media plugin.

Yeah I had the same problem, but a reset cleared it up at least for now.

Apple needs to let you turn off the top sites feature. The pre-fetching stuff often beachballs and stalls Safari and thrashes the hard drive.

mrkr

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2006
"Clear Recent Searches" has reappeared in the safari recent searches drop down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.