Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Once you leave the coziness of your home to go back to corporate land where most of us have to go to earn their living, you will quickly find out that the poster was right: Most of the time there is no way around using Internet Explorer. Most corporate Intranets require IE to work properly. And while Sharepoint also works acceptable with Firefox nowadays, it's only really comfortable to use with IE. And since Sharepoint has become a de facto standard in many corporate environments, you know what browser you want to use with it.

And that, once again, leads us back to this reality: Apple is not a player in the corporate field. They're a consumer brand.

Yeah, all true. But the poster's puke was also justified. I work with all the mentioned "standards" and products and to put it in the words of Steve Jobs: "they are a big bag of hurt"...

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
... I get beach-balled and have to force quit when I go to the youtube home page. How annoying.

Aniday

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2009
I can’t play Hulu videos either.

....Off to Firefox. Screw Apple.

Firefox isn’t working either. What the hell is wrong with flash...

Shagrat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
London
... I get beach-balled and have to force quit when I go to the youtube home page. How annoying.
almost instant load for me, and fully responsive.

I have vanilla Safari, on SL10.6.2 and have virtually no problems at all, especially with most of the "problem" pages people have sited above. MBP 13" 2.26 GHz 2GB RAM, if you want to know.

So is there a general problem with Safari? Not that I experience.

The one exception to the above is teh Shiira php page, which just shows as text, and I'll bet that's a coding error on the site.

I can only assume that those with all the problems listed above, that there is a specific problem on their systems...maybe a plugin/hack etc.

And I'll bet if you asked a load of IE users, there would be similar complaints, likewise Firefox.

Check your set-up before you assume that the problem is generic to Safari, or for that matter any browser that you may have problems with.

I, personally have found Safari has been as good a browser as any i have tried on both Windows machines and on the Mac, and in general better.

At least I have tabbed browsing! At work (a large bank that shall remain nameless!) we are stuck with IE6, and that REALLY sucks, as for my work I often have to have 15 or more browser windows open at the same time and that is just "a bag of hurt"!:p

knightlie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2008

I have vanilla Safari, on SL10.6.2 and have virtually no problems at all, especially with most of the "problem" pages people have sited above. MBP 13" 2.26 GHz 2GB RAM, if you want to know.

The one exception to the above is teh Shiira php page, which just shows as text, and I'll bet that's a coding error on the site.

I can only assume that those with all the problems listed above, that there is a specific problem on their systems...maybe a plugin/hack etc.

And I'll bet if you asked a load of IE users, there would be similar complaints, likewise Firefox.

Check your set-up before you assume that the problem is generic to Safari, or for that matter any browser that you may have problems with.

I, personally have found Safari has been as good a browser as any i have tried on both Windows machines and on the Mac, and in general better.

At least I have tabbed browsing! At work (a large bank that shall remain nameless!) we are stuck with IE6, and that REALLY sucks, as for my work I often have to have 15 or more browser windows open at the same time and that is just "a bag of hurt"!:p

+1. Great post.

nelmat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Issues for a small minority of users?

This site http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php
takes 12 seconds to load and then 2 minutes and 40 seconds to complete rendering.

This Safari problem has existed since the transition from Safari 2.x to Safari 3.x and now into version after version of Safari 4.x

The result is jerky scrolling because of delayed user input, a delay of nearly a second.

This same site will render and animate with FireFox before you can get your finger off the mouse click.

I believe Safari has a core design issue for this problem to remain after 3 years of nightly builds of WebKit and several releases of Safari.

Please try this site and report your findings to Apple.

Well, I just did try this site. The initial image took about 14 seconds to load, there was zero delay between requesting the page and it beginning to appear. I'm on a pretty standard 3/4 meg connection in the UK. I don't have click2flash installed, I don't have saft installed - I have a clean, untinkered version of safari. I (and the rest of my household - old white macbook, brand new 17" macbook pro) all report the same result. NONE of us have any issues with the flash plug in, none of us experience the constant hanging that is reported.

I think a vast majority of people on this forum and the small minority who insist on tinkering and tweaking their systems to 'optimise' them - I hear people complaining about Safari, and then asking when the thirty (I exaggerate) 'add-ons' for the browser will also be updated.

How about you just leave it alone as apple intended it to be used, seems to work fine for this household and for everyone else I talk to.

Only friend I have with a flash issue is one who previously had click2flash installed and after removing it (which was a pain in the rear) had flash problems surface for the first time.

Apple test their software for the average user and standard software set-ups - it's not possible to test with every combination of software and certainly not for those who 'tweak' their systems.

How about you just leave it alone, and let the software run as intended - it 'just works' for 90% of users.

And as far as cries of "oh my god, how dare apple make me reboot" followed by cries of "feels snappier" - how about helping the environment a little and shutting machine down overnight if it's not being used. Sorry if the 30 seconds a day to start up is too much like hassle for you.

Been a proud mac user since 1987 - I've always upgraded on upgrade day, never tweaked my system and happily used the full adobe creative suite (and previous incarnations back in the macromedia days) and yet to have a serious issue - but then, I don't 'tinker'...

[Back to the site in question - scrolled smoothly, loaded fine, no issues, tried in firefox, same result]

Chuck Fadanoid

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Munich, Germany
Have they fixed the issue I was having where middle mouse click didn't always open links in a new tab? Usually when the link was inside a frame. Or does no one else have this problem?

adityanag

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2009
512 KBit connection - Works fine

takes 12 seconds to load and then 2 minutes and 40 seconds to complete rendering.

This Safari problem has existed since the transition from Safari 2.x to Safari 3.x and now into version after version of Safari 4.x

The result is jerky scrolling because of delayed user input, a delay of nearly a second.

This same site will render and animate with FireFox before you can get your finger off the mouse click.

I believe Safari has a core design issue for this problem to remain after 3 years of nightly builds of WebKit and several releases of Safari.

Works fine for me too. I'm on a 512 KBit connection, and the pages loads in about 12-15 seconds, and works fine after that

wiredzen

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2008
Flagstaff, AZ (USA)
That means nothing tbh. MS has plenty of certified partners that title is handed out like chocolates at Halloween.

I beg to differ. Any party doing such studies in a realm must be unbiased and without affiliation. Otherwise, all results are seriously questionable. In fact, the company should not even be performing such studies; to then present them as unbiased without noting the affiliation is unacceptable - that is a professional standard. Point is, why would I believe this company after so many failures of protocol?

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York

I was agreeing with you until I went to the YouTube homepage. No SBBoD. Then I clicked on "Close this Ad" and I had to force quit Safari. Does two affected users equate to a general problem? No, but it sure does give it more substance.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI

Terrible experience for me. Took almost 0.9 seconds to load and start animating.:p 15" MBP 2.66 4GB 16Mbps.

rdlink

macrumors 68040
Nov 10, 2007
Out of the Reach of the FBI
Once you leave the coziness of your home to go back to corporate land where most of us have to go to earn their living, you will quickly find out that the poster was right: Most of the time there is no way around using Internet Explorer. Most corporate Intranets require IE to work properly. And while Sharepoint also works acceptable with Firefox nowadays, it's only really comfortable to use with IE. And since Sharepoint has become a de facto standard in many corporate environments, you know what browser you want to use with it.

And that, once again, leads us back to this reality: Apple is not a player in the corporate field. They're a consumer brand.

Unfortunately you're right. In the "real" world, where most of us have to go to earn a living, M$ is the de facto standard. Not really Apple's fault, though. It's the fault of mindless, lazy drones, who take the attitude that, since everyone else uses this crap, they need to also. How about a little bit of a fresh approach: "Yeah, everyone else uses this crap. So we'll use it to the extent that we have to. But in the meantime we'll point some of our resources toward finding products that work better for us, and give us a way to dock up to the nasty gruel that the other mindless drones accept." Cloud computing is on its way, and I can't wait for the day, coming sooner than you think, that M$ will no longer hold us hostage, and we'll be able to use whatever hardware and software works best for us to plug into the data that we need to do our jobs. While Apple isn't really leading that charge, Apple users will benefit from the result.

Steve Jobs was right. MS does not need to lose for Apple to win. But they need to have their legs chopped off at the knees for us all to win.

willemvlot

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2009
A SunSpider Test I ran this morning learns me the following:

Safari 4.0.4
451.0 ms
Chrome 4.0.237.0
466.6 ms
Firefox 3.5.5
1118.2 ms
Firefox 3.6 beta 2
928.0 ms
Minefield 3.7a1Pre
889.4 ms

Testing on a MacBook Pro unibody (late 2008), 2.53 Ghz.
So Safari is the fastest again with this 4.0.4 update. ;)

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Sadly it would seem so.

Do Apple and Adobe hate each other that much?
There does seem to be some hate at Adobe that is directed at Apple.
Safari in Windows has crashed (since version 3) every time I click on a link that turns out to be a pdf.
Interesting! I will have to check my machines at work as I don't recall seeing this problem. In any event I go out of my way to avoid installing plug ins. Which by the way highlights the need to make sure you have the latest pluton acccessible to Safari.
I have Acrobat 9 installed, but neither Adobe or Apple will own up to the crashing problem. Safari is unusable!

I'd look closely at your installation. Safari is far from perfect but it shouldn't crash from loading a PDF.

Dave

blybug

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2003
Galveston, TX

Do you have "click2flash" installed? That was happening to me after installing "click2flash" a few weeks back. Once uninstalled, YouTube was working fine. My experience with "click2flash" was that it seemed to eliminate some of Safari's unexpected quitting, but it caused more SBBoDs (on YouTube and other pages). YMMV.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Last week, i almost gave up on using Safari. I was getting pretty mad that i am on a T1 line, and Safari seems to hang or not find servers when i try to load certain pages on my MBP running 10.6. However, and my G5 running 10.5.8, i don't have any issues.

I even went so far as to install Google Chrome, on my MBP. I was actually shocked t how fast Chrome runs compared to Safari. I think Google's browser could give Safari a run for its money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.