Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following its WWDC 2022 keynote today, Apple has listed a new 35W power adapter with dual USB-C ports as "coming soon" on its online store. The adapter will be available in both standard and compact sizes, with both priced at $59 in the United States.

apple-35-power-adapters.jpg

The adapters can be used to charge two devices at the same time and feature foldable prongs. Apple recommends using the adapters with the new MacBook Air, but they are also compatible with iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, and AirPods models.

The compact adapter will be included in the box with the new MacBook Air when configured with an M2 chip with a 10-core GPU and 512GB of storage or better.

Apple has not provided a specific release date for purchasing the adapters separately.

Article Link: Apple Releasing 35W Power Adapter With Dual USB-C Ports in Standard and Compact Sizes

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
Is the Compact one really more compact width-wise? It has a small volume, but looks wide, it may be great to have for travel and behind furniture but may be blocking the neighbouring outlet. And there is a big, narrow one which likely fits next to another one plugged in. The narrow one uses interchangeable adapters and is likely 110/220 compatible, the small wide one is probably going to have to be different in each zone (similar to how the EU/US/UK 5W ones look very different).

Reactions: makingmark

AeroEngineer

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2020
Netherlands
I don't know, on the one hand I this looks nice. On the other, I can get 2 20W adapters for 15EUR less.. Sure for traveling it means less stuff to pack, but it's not like the adapters and converters take up a buttload of space..

Reactions: unobtainium

Tyler O'Bannon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2019
So being able to remove the power prongs and attach the longer grounded cable or international prongs seems to be the only reason the larger exists? The smaller is US only, and is more compact, and performs the same, so seems like a no brainer if you only need for US.

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
Why would anyone choose the non-compact adapter, given that they're the same price?
it’s because the non compact adaptor is designed for other countries for the interchangeable adaptors. seems the compact adaptor was designed as a us-only product.
my country australia as an example only shows the traditional non compact model

Reactions: u+ive
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.