Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
There doesn’t even seem to be a compact version of the UK version which sucks, because it looks exactly like the regular USB-C wall charger in the UK, just with increased utility.

Was just thinking the same thing. Was really hoping for an upgrade to my 20W USB-C compact UK adapter.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
It's fine. That's like 2 entire beers here in London 🤔

Edit: for the benefit of the non UK people, I am being facetious, not factual. Pints here cost around £6.60 or $8.27 approx. Still painful.
Still cheaper than in Sweden... Or Norway, don't get me started on Norway.

BeatCrazy

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2011
Why would anyone choose the non-compact adapter, given that they're the same price?

Also, for those of us who have the old MacBook power bricks that used to come with the extension cords that slide right onto the removable plug, this is a great way to add another 6 feet of extension. I have a 30watt next to the couch that way and I end up with a nice, long cord. Realize I could get two long USB-C to lighting or USB-C cables, but then I'd have all that extra wiring making a mess.

The OEM Apple extender cords are cheap, plentiful and can last 10 years no problem. I'd rather use one of those extenders in conjunction with a 1m or 2m USB-C cable vs. a 3m USB-C cable and no extender.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007

Edit: for the benefit of the non UK people, I am being facetious, not factual. Pints here cost around £6.60 or $8.27 approx. Still painful.

You're drinking in some pretty bougie places if you're paying £6.60 for a pint. Even in London. At Wetherspoons pubs you can get a pint of Greene King for £1.49!

Reactions: Danfango

sppunk

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Is ist 2*35Watt or just 35 Watt in total?
35 total.

The form factor is perfect but yea this is weak sauce power-wise. I have the Anker 735 but HATE how much it sticks out when traveling because it often requires moving nightstands.

Last edited:

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
And even for people who don't travel, Apple sell an extension cord that I personally use all the time to reach an outlet. Can't use it on the compact one.
I always pack a normal extension cord, there's no need for an overpriced, flimsy, Apple extension cord. I also pack a double adaptor for those situations where multiple people are wanting to use the same power point.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
35W? So weird. Why not 40W so you can fast charge two supporting devices at the same time? If you plug in an iPhone and AW S7, which ports gets the full 20W? This could have been a perfect charger, Apple.
You don't need an Apple charger anymore. They are just USB-C chargers. All you need is the USB-C to Magsafe cable.

jimthing

macrumors 68000
Apr 6, 2011

...Unless you're in Central, when the new price is £9.95 or $12.30 approx. Extremely painful. :)

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
YES. I have been waiting for them to come out with a power adapter with the removable duck head for YEARS now. I can't believe they switched to those 15/18/20W chargers. I can finally use my 6 ft extensions again! Assuming they didn't change the mechanism. That would be the biggest piss off if it's not compatible. I've had several of them just sitting in a box because I couldn't use them with the adapter that came with my iPad Pro or my iPhone 11 Pro.

It's also great for international travelers since they can get the travel kit that comes with pretty much every adapter instead of a separate charger for each country. They used to cost like $20 about 4 years ago.

Edit: forgot to mention, they even included the added bonus of a second USB-C port! I can charge my phone and iPad at the same time!

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
I always pack a normal extension cord, there's no need for an overpriced, flimsy, Apple extension cord. I also pack a double adaptor for those situations where multiple people are wanting to use the same power point.

It’s not because there’s no need for you that it’s the same for other people. I know this extension cord was useful to my use case in the past years. I would not go back to the included brick+cable.
"Flimsy" lol those things are so damn thick. You could jump rope with them on concrete and they would still be fine. I've had the same ones for YEARS. Actually, now that I think about it, I don't think I've ever had one snap or crap out at all. They also aren't "overpriced". Apple has them for $20, but you can easily find them for $10 or less. I used to work at an Authorized Apple Retailer and Service shop where we got them wholesale without the packaging for like $5 or less (don't remember exactly) and sold them for $10 without the boxes. They were definitely authentic too because we could look them up and replace them through GSX.

Quality__Control

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2018
Why would anyone choose the non-compact adapter, given that they're the same price?
Because the full size adaptor allows you to connect the 6 foot Apple grounded AC power Adapter Extension cord giving you much more room and freedom so the USB-C charger cable won't yank out of your laptop. Also allows interchangeable adaptors for other countries. I can't stand the Apple chargers that can't take the 6 foot cord. I doubt the compact charger will keep cool or be as efficient. They always fall out of sockets and are too short on a Cal King bed.

BTW: The 140Watt GaN charger on my 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max is so much more efficient and draws much less current so it's not sucking as much energy 24/7/365 that adds up on your electric bill over time and it stays cool even when the MacBook is drawing 119 Watts. That charger will save you money over the years and will power all USB-C devices at the fastest rate. It's also future proofed some with the ability to switch all the way up to 28Volts @ 5Amps. It charges my iPad Pro M1 faster than the stock charger. That's the charger to buy! I even use it to charge my Pure sign wave Inverter Power banks for backup AC.

Attachments

• 61h8e09VcLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    61h8e09VcLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.