Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blazerunner

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2020
Ummm Anker please!
Are their chargers any good? I've got two Gan Power chargers from Aukey and they're borderline trash. Everytime I plug either of them, it creates a spark. Once plugged in, it works for about 10 seconds before fizzing out UNLESS it's plugged in such a way where something inside continues to make a connection... the prongs inside must be SCREWED.

Reactions: TakeshimaIslands

jezbd1997

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2015
Melbourne - Australia
So being able to remove the power prongs and attach the longer grounded cable or international prongs seems to be the only reason the larger exists? The smaller is US only, and is more compact, and performs the same, so seems like a no brainer if you only need for US.
the compact model seems to be us-only. rest of the world gets the traditional design. (like here in aus only the traditional one shows up).
got no problem with that, that compact design is more likely to break easy.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Why would you not buy the compact version if they both cost the same?

Let me guess, the non-compact version comes in the box. I see you, Apple.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
So being able to remove the power prongs and attach the longer grounded cable or international prongs seems to be the only reason the larger exists? The smaller is US only, and is more compact, and performs the same, so seems like a no brainer if you only need for US.
You are right. I only just noticed that the compact one is US-only and doesn't have detachable prongs.

Xand&Roby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2020
I’ve been waiting for the new compact 29/30w since 2020, when I bought the latest MacBook 12” 2019, and I never wanted to buy the competition (great, like Anker, who has my wife).

More than 5 years (29w was 2015, 30w of 2016/17) to update a product..

tgwaste

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Love the compact version of this. $30 to expensive but ill still buy it.

kuwxman

Cancelled
Jul 25, 2009
Are their chargers any good? I've got two Gan Power chargers from Aukey and they're borderline trash. Everytime I plug either of them, it creates a spark. Once plugged in, it works for about 10 seconds before fizzing out UNLESS it's plugged in such a way where something inside continues to make a connection... the prongs inside must be SCREWED.
Yes. I've had great luck with my Anker stuff over the years. My iPhone sits on one of their angled docks every day.

gadgetfreak98

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2009
Why would anyone choose the non-compact adapter, given that they're the same price?
Also, for those of us who have the old MacBook power bricks that used to come with the extension cords that slide right onto the removable plug, this is a great way to add another 6 feet of extension. I have a 30watt next to the couch that way and I end up with a nice, long cord. Realize I could get two long USB-C to lighting or USB-C cables, but then I'd have all that extra wiring making a mess.

Johnny907

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2014
Why would anyone choose the non-compact adapter, given that they're the same price?
Because the legacy formfactor still includes a removable plug that lets you swap it for the extension cable attachment. I'm actually glad Apple broke it's usual behavior and kept both styles allowing buyers the choice for what best suits their needs.

Reactions: Shin-Ra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.