Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Apple fans love Apple. If there is such a thing as a "Samsung fan", how many of them do you think love Samsung?

... crickets ...

----------

I have a Samsung Note 2 but it doesn't make me a Samsung fanboy. I bought the Note 2 because it was the best phone at the time. But if HTC, Motorola, LG or Sony releases something better I'm jumping ship. Being tied down to one phone OEM is like eating at the same restaurant for the past 6 years. Taste good at first but the menu got old. I have owned Android phones from HTC, Motorola and Samsung with no regrets; they all had their moments. It's Samsung's turn to shine.
Bottom line is Apple still loses my money because a iPhone 5s has already lost in my book.

robbyx

Suspended
Oct 18, 2005
Apple fans love Apple. If there is such a thing as a "Samsung fan", how many of them do you think love Samsung?

... crickets ...

----------

I have a Samsung Note 2 but it doesn't make me a Samsung fanboy. I bought the Note 2 because it was the best phone at the time. But if HTC, Motorola, LG or Sony releases something better I'm jumping ship. Being tied down to one phone OEM is like eating at the same restaurant for the past 6 years. Taste good at first but the menu got old. I have owned Android phones from HTC, Motorola and Samsung with no regrets; they all had their moments. It's Samsung's turn to shine.
Bottom line is Apple still loses my money because a iPhone 5s has already lost in my book.

A product you haven't even seen or used, that hasn't even been announced yet, has already lost? Good for you. Keep rubbing those two brain cells together. Why are you here? Why do you even care if Apple has lost? Personally, I'll take excellent product design over gimmicky features any day, but to each his own.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
An amazing statistic the market seems oblivious to.

I think you kind of answered your own question. The company's cash stockpile doesn't mean a thing to stockholders unless it's being used to increase the company's earnings, to buy back shares, or is being paid out as a dividend. They have way more than they need for the former, and we are finally seeing some of the latter.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
Earnings were down, significantly, year over year.

This chart disagrees. But heck, let's not let the facts get in the way of your "Apple is doomed" crusade.

Attachments

• applechart.jpg
    applechart.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 78

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Has any other public company reported anything close to $9.5B in profit this quarter? If there is he I haven't seen it. Exxon reports Q1 on Thursday.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013
Has any other public company reported anything close to $9.5B in profit this quarter? If there is he I haven't seen it. Exxon reports Q1 on Thursday.

Doesn't matter, the profits that they said would be down...are down.

Doomed!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
That's a revenue chart, not an earnings chart. I can explain the difference to you, if you really need me to.

Earning are down year over year.

So lets see what Wall Street would have done if earnings were flat (or slightly up) but revenues were down. My guess is the stock would have been hammered.

----------

So?

Growth is still negative

How is growth negative when revenues were up 11%? Apple is selling more iPads because of the mini (lower gross margin) and more iPhones because of aggressive pricing of the 4 in certain international markets. Wall Street can't have their cake and eat it too. If they want Apple to increase market share then more than likely it will come at the expense of lower margins.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I was hoping AAPL would release a new full size iPad this spring so I could contribute to some of that earnings growth. But it looks like I'll be waiting until the fall. *SIGH* :cool:

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
shorter tim cook: "i got nothin' folks...here, have some money."

with nothing new on the horizon expect aapl to be flat at best for some time to come.

"Flat" = immensely profitable and generating cash well in excess of their needs. Wow, who wouldn't want that? Oh yeah, moron stock speculators who require growth regardless of the underpinned fundamentals.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
How is growth negative when revenues were up 11%? Apple is selling more iPads because of the mini (lower gross margin) and more iPhones because of aggressive pricing of the 4 in certain international markets. Wall Street can't have their cake and eat it too. If they want Apple to increase market share then more than likely it will come at the expense of lower margins.

Earnings decreased 18%, year over year. Margins were much lower, and that is never a good thing.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
In other words, AAPL stock will have to wait another 5-7 months for a boost from new products. Another 5-7 months for people like myself who want to upgrade to the next iPhone and/or get a iPad mini 2. Disappointing news.:(

People complained when Apple released the 4th iPad 6 months after the 3rd, and now people are complaining because it may be a year between that announcement and the 5th iPad/2nd iPad mini. :confused:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
"Flat" = immensely profitable and generating cash well in excess of their needs. Wow, who wouldn't want that? Oh yeah, moron stock speculators who require growth regardless of the underpinned fundamentals.

Earnings growth matters to investors, i.e., people who are not morons.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Earnings decreased 18%, year over year. Margins were much lower, and that is never a good thing.

More profits and higher margins are a better thing, but given that Apple released no major new products in the quarter, the tablet market is proliferating, and the PC market absolutely collapsed during the quarter, Apple did quite well the last 3 months.

Aragornii

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2010

No, "flat" as in the current share price does not undervalue the company and nothing in the company's near future will be increasing its value. You can buy what you want but there's a lot of things I'd put my money into right now before spending it on aapl.

pirg

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2013

Anyone who is surprised because they have lower margins on cheaper priced products is a moron imo.

Any one who expects higher margins on cheaper products is also a moron imo.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
That's a revenue chart, not an earnings chart. I can explain the difference to you, if you really need me to.

Earning are down year over year.

Oh, the irony...

You're talking to a finance major here so no need for the condescension nor the lesson on what revenue and earnings are. I'm just saying earnings would logically go up proportionality to the increase in revenue.

And while you're right earnings are lower compared with Q2/12, you are wrong with the year-over-year comment, especially if you look at the further back than just a year Q1 was at about the same as 2012 and 2013. It's only been one quarter that's lower so it's still too soon to be making this presumption for 2012/2013 anyway.

But save your "Apple is doomed" predictions for later and come back when revenues and profits are in nosedive.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Just curious why you expect margins to be higher on cheaper products? It's pretty clear that the mini as well as an aggressive push of iPhone 4 in certain markets (like India and Brazil) brought down margins. Wall Street is so obsessed with market share...do they really expect Apple to increase market share internationally and at the same time keep up insane margins? Something has to give.

Also the fact that older models of iPhone are still so successful is a big deal. The 4 and 4S are probably selling better than some newer flagship Android phones.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
More profits and higher margins are a better thing, but given that Apple released no major new products in the quarter, the tablet market is proliferating, and the PC market absolutely collapsed during the quarter, Apple did quite well the last 3 months.

It wasn't a disaster, no. But then the problem is the lack of new products. This is the longest dry spell we've seen from Apple in some time.

Anyone who is surprised because they have lower margins on cheaper priced products is a moron imo.

Any one who expects higher margins on cheaper products is also a moron imo.

Surprised? Expects?

Just curious why you expect margins to be higher on cheaper products? It's pretty clear that the mini as well as an aggressive push of iPhone 4 in certain markets (like India and Brazil) brought down margins. Wall Street is so obsessed with market share...do they really expect Apple to increase market share internationally and at the same time keep up insane margins? Something has to give.

Also the fact that older models of iPhone are still so successful is a big deal. The 4 and 4S are probably selling better than some newer flagship Android phones.

Expect? The markets have been expecting lower margins and profits, which is why the stock price has been driven down. Wall Street doesn't give two figs about market share. What investors care about is growth in earnings. A margins squeeze results in reduced earnings and also suggests the real possibility of lower profits going forward due to increased competition. A pretty basic concept, and not at all controversial, or so I would have thought.

Apple's success in growing earnings over the last ten years has been based on the regular release of breakout products, not on new iterations of old products. If you are an AAPL investor, I suggest you hope for another one of those, a product where Apple's margins are not already squeezed. If you are investing for more than entertainment value, anyway.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
It wasn't a disaster, no. But then the problem is the lack of new products. This is the longest dry spell we've seen from Apple in some time.

Surprised? Expects?

Expect? The markets have been expecting lower margins and profits, which is why the stock price has been driven down. Wall Street doesn't give two figs about market share. What investors care about is growth in earnings. A margins squeeze results in reduced earnings and also suggests the real possibility of lower profits going forward due to increased competition. A pretty basic concept, and not at all controversial, or so I would have thought.

Apple's success in growing earnings over the last ten years has been based on the regular release of breakout products, not on new iterations of old products. If you are an AAPL investor, I suggest you hope for another one of those, a product where Apple's margins are not already squeezed. If you are investing for more than entertainment value, anyway.

Wall Street doesn't care about market share? Yeah right. If they didn't care about market share why were they screaming for a cheaper iPad last year and a cheaper iPhone this year? What's the point of a cheaper iPhone other than to increase market share in places like China and India. What Wall Street seems to want is Apple to increase its market share AND maintain absurdly high profit margins. As far as regular release of breakout products, I'm not sure how you're defining regular but it was 3 years between iMac and iPod, 6 years between iPod and iPhone and 3 years between iPhone and iPad. So one would assume that late 2013 or more likely 2014 is when we'll see a new product category or game changer from Apple.

----------

Unless of course you're Amazon. Then investors could give a **** if you make a profit or not. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.