Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Anyone else miss Steve Jobs? When he was around it was more or less certain things would be done mostly right.

Nowadays... we just don't know. They might completely screw things up.

I know one thing for sure; I won't be upgrading to iOS 7 until I've heard some reports from others about it!

Steve jobs blindness for forstall is why apple is now under the gun to get iOS 7 out. This lays at Steve's feet for not doing something much sooner.

mackinmike

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2012
for the love of god, allow the new email app to attach any file type and access the file system or cloud storage. this is 2013. wake up apple. i'm tired of your bs stubbornness. smh.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
As someone who has worked in many product development organizations, in my experience putting a non-engineer in charge of software engineering deliverables is a bad thing. Typically, non-engineers underestimate the complexity of software development, and tend to push over-aggressive schedules. Then they demand that deveopment be "accountable" to their "schedule committments". The result can be product rushed out the door, and poor quality.

Hope that doesn't happen here.
So that's why all these rumors are talking about being behind schedule? :confused:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Delayed? What was the announced release date?

Why does his age matter here? If this was a comment about setting a record in a triathlon, I could see the relevance, but were talking about making phones.

If he was 78 you would be concerned about his ability to implement a long term plan.

The cowboys hired a 72 year defensive coordinator while switching back to a 4-3. His age is a real concern.

I know I didn't know how old he was and seeing him as 46 is a great sign.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Reading comprehension fail.
What part of "more or less" do you not understand?
(And the Magic Mouse is awesome)

I understood perfectly.

Leaving aside the fact that the phrase "more or less certain" is a bit contradictory in itself, I was arguing that you could be no "more or less certain" of anything during Jobs' tenure than after it by pointing out that his hits to misses ratio was comparable to the current situation.

Your unnecessarily aggressive response (I couldn't possibly disagree with you unless my reading comprehension is subpar!) suggests to me that you realise I have a point but aren't mature enough to accept it so have, instead, fallen back on playground style ad hominem. I choose to rise above it. Cheerio.

FatMax

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2007
Norway
The screen on the One is exceptionally good. 1080p is amazing on a cellphone - most laptops don't even have that kind of resolution.

How do you like it otherwise? It has gotten great reviews.

Personally, I wouldn't get a phone that was missing an SD card. I like to have huge amounts of music (like entire discographies in .flac) on my phone, and the internal storage is usually both too small and too expensive. A 32 gig SD card costs like $20, and if you really want to, you can carry around several of them. My S3 has only 16 gigs built in, but with a 32 gig card, I have a total of 48, which is enough if I use it judiciously.

.flac on a phone..? Why?

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Looking forward to this even though my existing 3GS will unlikely be supporting it.

I don't mind delays if it makes the product better, they have rushed stuff out in the past and its not gone well, best to take the extra time to polish.

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
If they had "abundant resources" they wouldn't have to transfer any engineers.

:rolleyes:

That doesn't really mean that they don't have abundant resources. For all we know, they need the expertise of the transferred people. They can go out and hire anyone but if they thought transferring would be the best choice, then I'm sure they had their reasons. Part of which is being familiar with Apple's culture, vision etc, it takes a while for a new recruit to think along the same lines as older staff.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012
Based on his title at Apple, I am under the impression that Jony is now running the show at Apple. From what we've heard, it's clear that he works with the surface layer of what all users see, which is what matters most when you buy any device.

Now he just needs to be the one to run the keynotes.

I agree that it seems like Ive is now running the show in terms of overall software and hardware look and feel. This is basically a big part of what Jobs did, right? Jobs wasn't dabbling in code and soldering together hardware components. He was overseeing the look and feel of both the software and hardware.

I think it would be great to have Ive do at least some parts of the keynotes/product introductions, but I can't believe Apple would not continue to have the CEO preside over some parts.

Hopefully Ive will be able to push Apple personnel to put forth their best efforts like Jobs did with, perhaps, a little less animosity and fear! ;)

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
For starters - why is there no way to multi select a bunch of emails you want to delete with some gesture? I have to manually select each one and then delete the batch?

For "normal" users, batch deletion is just not something that is done often, if ever.

Personally I never delete emails unless they're either spam, or something embarrassing. I appreciate that your workflow may be different, but you're probably in a minority.

The point is that Mail needs to be simple and fast and effective for ordinary users. This isn't to say it can't be improved, but improvements can't come at the expense of simplicity. If you're a power user that needs advanced functionality, like gestures for mail management, there are plenty of great 3rd party apps that can do that (eg Mailbox)

AaronEdwards

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2011
Just wondering, what is Ive's background when it comes to designing an OS? I know his background when it comes to designing physical things, but I can't recall what he has done before when it comes to designing an OS.

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
i hope they axe newsstand all together. email doesnt need a complete redo it just needs some new features and tweaks. The settings app needs a complete redo

Agree on Newsstand and Settings but disagree otherwise. Mail and Calendar need a complete rebuild (think apps like Mailbox and Sunrise), and Apple really needs to overhaul Siri so it's more like Google Now or Grokr, with deep iOS integration.

For the last several years, Apple's policy has been to bolt features onto the original iOS. As a result, features (like Siri and, to a lesser degree, Notifications) feel tacked on and not essential to the UI. Part of this is because they've come to realize that they are enormously far behind Google on data collection, and Google is in prime position to begin utilizing that data collection to its extreme advantage, via apps like Google Now and Google Maps. In the meantime, iOS has been left to stagnate.

But whatever the case ends up being for iOS 7, we won't really have a good sense for where Ive is going until he's gotten to tackle both hardware and software (i.e., the 2014 releases for iOS and, presumably, the iPhone 6).

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I won't be surprised if it suddenly becomes a great feature if Apple does it. I recall all the comments in the Galaxy S4 thread when gestures was announced.

Especially if they do it differently. Just because two things can be called by the same name does not mean they are exactly the same.

Could you explain how it is gimmicky?

Sure.

GIMMICKY
"Air Gesture means you can scroll web pages, accept calls and change a music track with a wave of the hand."

How do any of those actions benefit from a lack of touch? Especially since it will result in less precise control?

NOT GIMMICKY
Air Gesture allows you to touch with gloves on.

And what would be the right way to do it?

That's something that need to be figured out. I could see it being useful for highlighting touch points before you actually make a selection, as well as for situations where a mouse hover would be useful.

sseaton1971

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2012

cmwade77

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2008
I don't quite understand why this "flat feel" is what defines a modern UI. Office 2013 uses this concept and I think it makes it look more like a program from the 90's than something a modern computer can do.

AppleDavie

macrumors member
May 21, 2011
Palmdale, Ca
Go for it Johnny!

what a burden Ives must feel. The pressure that must be on his shoulders. I hope he doesn't disappoint the masses. For me personally, I like iOS the way it is, I don't have to have all kinds of fancy features and gestures. Its easy to use and that's why I love my iPad and iphone. Good luck Johnny, im sure you'll do brilliantly. :D

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
i hope they axe newsstand all together. email doesnt need a complete redo it just needs some new features and tweaks. The settings app needs a complete redo

Agreed. The newsstand just sits there doing nothing (at least for me). However, I wouldn't mind anything else being changed.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
They did look good! That's the Apple of old that I miss. Of course I also miss lickable buttons...

I'd take the macbook air in though, in 2 years (1.5?) of owning my air, I only had 3 kernel panics and they all occurred within a month. After the 3rd I took it to an Apple store and they swapped main boards no questions asked.

I took my in for repairs a year ago and they had to send it off for a week when the hinge broke. They told me I was lucky another location still had spare parts. I believe my MBA (the very original) is now considered obsolete.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
oh heck just push out the iPhone 5S with iOS6.2 then wit for the major iOS overhaul for the iPhone 6, they both need to be big next June.

People will buy whatever Apple puts out no matter how long it takes, whether or not they lose ground to Android will remain to be seen, but I just prefer a device that works period.

lucas107

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2008
Like I said, just because they are first to the punch doesn't mean ****.:apple:

Actually you said it dont mean **** unless its done right...and its done very right. Androids UI looks great. Their toggles are perfect, very easy to use and work every time. Picking a default app is simple because most of them just ask you if you want it to be default the first time you run the app and if you pick no its about 2-3 touches to get to where you set it as default if you want to change it later. Dont talk since its obvious you are just trashing something you know nothing about.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I don't think they should release until it is ready. If it is not ready yet don't release it. No need to rush stuff out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.