Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dawnathedevil

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Does anybody know if it's possible to transfer your purchase history and account into a new username?

You can simply change your Apple ID on your account. You can't create a new account (with new ID) and transfer the purchases with it. Making a second account is a bad idea because they can not be merged together. Just change the Apple ID on your account to save you a lot of hassle.

Follow this link:
https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/W...n?wosid=ex52wgHT0SbfvcBuEHQosM&localang=en_US

sign into your account, and where it says Apple ID, there should be a small 'edit' link in the right corner. Edit the Apple ID as you wish. (If no 'edit' then this means the ID is in use with, or has been in use with mobile me and can not be changed at all)

if you have devices, sign out of your iTunes account on all of them, and sign back in using your new ID.

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
I got an email like this in June as well when I got my iPad 2 after purchasing my first app directly on the iPad. Previous purchases were from iPhone 3GS, iPod touch and my MBP (including pre purchases for my iPad apps before receiving the actual iPad)

GabooN

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2008
Windsor, Ontario
To all the folks that said they got these emails a while ago and that it isn't new:

Why didn't you send it in? :)

I didn't realize it was new. It seemed familiar, though I wasn't sure if I had received one after activating my iPhone 3GS.

Not sure its front page news either. I figured if I had received the email, pretty much most other mac/apple users had received similar at some point. I hadn't had a new device since the iPhone 3GS was launched.

mdrevs

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Even though it is not new to some, it may be to others. Thanks, MacRumors for sharing.

Detlev

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Had a logic board replaced by Apple and received the message about four weeks ago. Put a new computer onto the account about the same time and did not get the message. There is probably something else going on behind the curtain that recognizes when there might be tampering.

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
Change of password request!

I got a letter too claiming from Apple the address is appleid@id.apple.com. The letter is asking me to change my password and the link is provided. I didn't even bothered to verify it if this is legitimate, I just assumed that this is a scam. If I need to change my password I'm not using the link provided and besides I use passwords that is secured and hard to remember. I don't need to change my password I only login to iTunes and AppStore on my iPhone, computer and iPad that's only it.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
It's a step in the right direction, but seems incomplete without an easy way to contact Apple regarding a fraudulent charge.

Doesn't this email sort of send the message that "we know your account may have been jeopardized, but we don't want to help you fix it"? :confused:

redsteven

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2006
It's a step in the right direction, but seems incomplete without an easy way to contact Apple regarding a fraudulent charge.

Doesn't this email sort of send the message that "we know your account may have been jeopardized, but we don't want to help you fix it"? :confused:

I'm assuming that if Apple were contacted that they'd help reverse charges, but I completely agree with your comment. The message implies "change your password, and.... that's all"

huntson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005
Got a few of these, correctly I might add, two months ago. "Apple has begun" to do this is simply not true.

huntson

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2005

Typical of today's technology companies. I would usually hesitate to lump Apple in with them but I have to. No one wants to speak as it wastes money - why not let the people who really need help fight through an impossible to navigate phone system - direct access telephone - **** that!!!!

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
This is a good feature apple is doing. One extra annoying email on new purchases is fine by me. I would rather have that than not knowing someone was using my account with out my knowledge.

annirowe

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2008
Melbourne, Australia
To all the folks that said they got these emails a while ago and that it isn't new:

Why didn't you send it in? :)

Rule of thumb.... If you think you have discovered something... chances are someone has already discovered it before you! ;)

Same here... a month ago.. Its not something that you generally do all that much, to warrant apple sending one of those out, so you just assume its always been there.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
i got one of these

swapped iphone in and got one of these when i did the download of previously purchased tv shows....then when i delete the shows off my iPhone i got a message saying something like "purchases have not been transferred to iTunes, something something something, if you delete you will have to repurchase, something something something"

true story

bradenbriggs

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_9 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E501 Safari/6533.18.5)

I've been receiving these types of emails for weeks now.

macbookguy

Cancelled
Dec 28, 2006
I didn't know this was something really new or I would have sent it in 3 weeks ago when I rented a movie on my Apple TV. It's a nice new touch, IMHO

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Along with a few here, have had such an email ages ago when buying on a different device. Perhaps we can back date the story to when it was new :p

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
You can simply change your Apple ID on your account. You can't create a new account (with new ID) and transfer the purchases with it. Making a second account is a bad idea because they can not be merged together. Just change the Apple ID on your account to save you a lot of hassle.

Follow this link:
https://appleid.apple.com/cgi-bin/W...n?wosid=ex52wgHT0SbfvcBuEHQosM&localang=en_US

sign into your account, and where it says Apple ID, there should be a small 'edit' link in the right corner. Edit the Apple ID as you wish. (If no 'edit' then this means the ID is in use with, or has been in use with mobile me and can not be changed at all)

if you have devices, sign out of your iTunes account on all of them, and sign back in using your new ID.

Apple is requiring us to change our Apple ID to an e-mail address to use iCloud.

Does anyone know if after we change our Apple ID to an e-mail address, will all of my previous iTunes purchases be associated with the newly created Apple ID?

Without me having to authenticate the old Apple ID for the content purchased with that ID? :confused:

There seems to be no good Apple ID consolidation process! :mad:

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Apple is requiring us to change our Apple ID to an e-mail address to use iCloud.

Does anyone know if after we change our Apple ID to an e-mail address, will all of my previous iTunes purchases be associated with the newly created Apple ID?

If you do it via editing the existing account you'll be fine. You just can't set up an apple id first and then try to change an old account to that email. that would be a merge and they don't do that. Same if the new email happens to be a mac.com or me.com because those were automatically made into Apple IDs when you created the email

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Wouldn't have considered this newsworthy. Also, just a few points... it's Apple ID, not AppleID (saying for the sake of consistency, as the article uses AppleID while the email in the image clearly says Apple ID). Also, things like stating the numbers being on the front of American Express cards is completely arbitrary and just isn't needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.