Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; de-de) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

never got one of these. i guess they cant keep up with my ID switches all the time lol

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A5288d Safari/7534.48.3)

jlgolson said:
To all the folks that said they got these emails a while ago and that it isn't new:

Why didn't you send it in? :)

Most people aren't bothered to send every email they get from apple in.

I got this message 5 weeks ago.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
This does not protect the customer...it protect (in a very limited way) Apple.

NogbadTheBad

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2009
United Kingdom
It's a step in the right direction, but seems incomplete without an easy way to contact Apple regarding a fraudulent charge.

Doesn't this email sort of send the message that "we know your account may have been jeopardized, but we don't want to help you fix it"? :confused:

+100

Having been a victim of fraudulent iTunes gifting, I would agree Apple don't seem to be very helpfull.

Surely Apple must be able to invalidate a fraudulent charge.

Farplaner

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I got one of these emails on one of my accounts. Someone was able to use the gift card credits (I don't have a credit card linked to it) to buy some MMO app and in app purchase.

I was able to change my password right there (thankfully), but trying to reverse those charges doesn't seem to be easy (how come there's no link on the email to do that?). At the end, I just let it go because it was just $5 or so...

atoates

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2011
not new... got one ages ago....
screenshot20110810at143.png

johnplacenet

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2011
I got one of these emails on monday morning. when I got to my office and opened my email I had $635.55 in charges for some game called "World War" that i did not buy.

10 charges for $47.96
2 for $59.99
1 for $35.97

I tried to call Apple but there is no person to talk to, you have to write an email and wait 24 hours for them to respond. So I contacted Paypal and they said that iTunes had a breach recently and this has been happening to a lot of people.. Nice for Apple to let us know.. Paypal had the funds back in my account within 30 minutes..

CHANGE YOUR ITUNES PASSWORD ASAP!

Dawnathedevil

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2011
Apple is requiring us to change our Apple ID to an e-mail address to use iCloud.

Does anyone know if after we change our Apple ID to an e-mail address, will all of my previous iTunes purchases be associated with the newly created Apple ID?

Without me having to authenticate the old Apple ID for the content purchased with that ID? :confused:

There seems to be no good Apple ID consolidation process! :mad:

That's correct, you have to use a full email address now. You will be sent an email where you are required to 'activate' the new changes to your account to help secure your account from hackers.

All purchases you made using your old ID will still have its original account name still tagged to them, any new purchases made on the account with the new ID will show your new ID, but they are all still associated to the same account. If you have mostly apps, there should be no authorization issues, music and movies, tv shows ect, may require you to reauthorize them if you move them to a new computer using the old ID, in this case you just enter it along with your current password and it should not cause any issues. But if you don't move your files around you should not have any issues.

Consolidation is not an option. Its a legal thing between the record companies, production studios, and app developers. Unfortunitly there's nothing Apple/iTunes can do.

coolspot18

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2010
Canada
My account was recently hacked... but only after I deposited a 100.00 iTunes Gift card from the Back to School promotion.

Does iTunes or the App Store have a vulnerability? Seems a bit odd I would only get hacked with a gift card balance.

After checking Apple's forums, this seems to be a common occurrence...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.