Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
How long do commercials usually take to air from when they are created? A couple weeks maybe? I mean you need to shoot it, then it's all post from there, and then buying TV time...Even with the the speculation of a 3G iPhone coming, this would be the time to start shooting commercials for the later months to come. Justin Long used to post blogs of him doing his Mac commercials until Apple said to stop it, but he said, he would be in the studio doing 3-4 different commercial shoots, and he would see them on the Apple site and sometimes the television within that 3-5 week period. And since it seems like they are doing on-location basic shooting, the post-editing shouldn't be to time consuming.

You basically answered your own question. But there's some elaboration possible, so here I go.

It takes relatively little time to do most commercials. Many of ours are done within the week. Of course, that's minus the planning time. The major limiting factor is the client. If they're an easy client they finish quickly. We've shot longer form stuff that's absolutely beautiful and it's gone out in a week. We've shot beautiful commercials that end up taking forever to get approval on. I'd think that Apple is a client that's expecting a lot of quality, but they probably assign someone to sit in on the edit who can get quick approval from whoever needs to approve it. They probably also don't have their own politics to get in the way. There's probably only one or two people that need to see it before it's done.

Basically, it can be done in anywhere from a few days to months.

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
film crew is trying to keep everyone off the sidewalk, I will go out to take a walk around midnite.Will keep you guys posted

Midnight is too late!
gotta get in there now!

why is apple filming in the 5th Ave store? makes no sense. They could recreate the store on a soundstage in LA - or use their Pixar friends....
It would be far more controlled, secure, and perhaps cheaper than this brouhaha.

This has to be some internal thing, or a movie shoot.......

LVdustin

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
Even though this is the 3G topic...I am actually more excited for the Apps than 3G. Especially since my phone isn't even a year old yet, and it's not even up to the possibilities of what it's capable of...Oh the joy if 3G was somehow already in our existing phones, just like what they did when they released the Macbook Pro's that had the 802.11n in there, and all you needed was an enabler...

shrtmkr

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2008
the apple
They started at 3 p.m. ... Could be over by midnight.

Its really a tourist jungle around apple store today like everyday :), it's been a loong day, I don't think I can handle a mass of people until I chill for couple of hours.

BTW
there is also something going on inside Tiffany&Co.(one block away) like a celebrity sight, since there is a ton of tourist trying to get pictures of inside. It can be a movie setting too.

I couldn't spend much time to take pictures, you know trying to get home from work

CKtoph

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2007
They started at 3 p.m. ... Could be over by midnight.

My guess is that they'll try to sneak in the majority of the actual shooting closer to the late night/early morning hours when there will be a lot less people floating about poking around. I'm assuming that the majority of the time starting from 3pm was setting up for the filming. While the actual filming doesn't take nearly as long. I could be wrong, what do I know about shooting a commercial? :p

They do have the store closed until 9am :p

Chris Stroud

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
Midnight is too late!
gotta get in there now!

why is apple filming in the 5th Ave store? makes no sense. They could recreate the store on a soundstage in LA - or use their Pixar friends....
It would be far more controlled, secure, and perhaps cheaper than this brouhaha.

This has to be some internal thing, or a movie shoot.......

Dude, they own Pixar lol

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Its really a tourist jungle around apple store today like everyday :), it's been a loong day, I don't think I can handle a mass of people until I chill for couple of hours.

No worries. I was just letting you know that midnight may offer nothing.

... and then again ... who knows. Take a good camera with a big lens.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia
film crew is trying to keep everyone off the sidewalk, I will go out to take a walk around midnite.Will keep you guys posted

Midnight! This could all be over by midnight! The 4G might be out by midnight. Aliens could descend onto the cube with a payload of nextgen iPhones and be gone by midnight!

What the hell are you doing between now and midnight that is so important???

:p

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
Midnight! This could all be over by midnight! The 4G might be out by midnight. Aliens could descend onto the cube with a payload of nextgen iPhones and be gone by midnight!

What the hell are you doing between now and midnight that is so important???

:p

I believe he said he was resting. Not in the mood to fight the crowds and security.

Mr Maui

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2002
don't forget to add "in iMax 3D lol" maybe they will make a trilogy... it could out sell Star Wars and Jurassic Park lol

The movie and its sequels.

iPhone ... the movie.

IPhone 2 ... the 3G experience!

iPhone 3 ... Who uses these for calls anymore? :rolleyes:

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
BTW
there is also something going on inside Tiffany&Co.(one block away) like a celebrity sight, since there is a ton of tourist trying to get pictures of inside. It can be a movie setting too.

Maybe the Apple Store shoot is all a decoy, and they are really filming at Tiffany@Co. :)

arn

imacericg

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2007
I doubt its for the 3G iPhone. Why would they use the Apple Store as a backdrop for a phone? I think the key feature of the iPhone is its a moble computer in your hand wherever you go. Seems to me like an ad in an Apple Store doesn't relate.

I could see it relating to the Apps Store. Something like "all of this, in your phone".

Or even the tablet mac? Maybe the actor takes the cinema display off the table and starts using multi-touch on it?

Just guesses here, but an iPhone commercial in a Apple Store doesn't add up to me.

Chris Stroud

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2008
The movie and its sequels.

iPhone ... the movie.

IPhone 2 ... the 3G experience!

iPhone 3 ... Who uses these for calls anymore? :rolleyes:

Maybe there is a Quicktime trailer that we have thus far overlooked....

Nahh, Disney bought Pixar from Apple in 2006. That made Steve Jobs on the board of directors on Disney, he is the biggest shareholder of Disney...7% i believe...

oh well, I didn't see anyone else bring all that up lol. That was a while back but it doesn't really feel like it was that long ago to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.