Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

headfuzz

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Brighton, UK
Talk about fanboys. More than 400 posts just b/c Apple shooting something (commercial, something for the keynote, who knows?).

+1

My personal thoughts - blatant product placement in the new series of CSI: NY.

Somebody gets murdered in the Apple Store with an Apple and Mac (Gary Sinise goes to investigate). ;)

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
Hey guys, been following your discussion this afternoon. I actually run a website called theiLife.com; and I've got a friend out at the store right now taking pictures and reporting back to me. Confirmed: it is a commercial.
Strange things happening inside the store, there are some pictures, check out here for more and updated info and pictures.

Thank you for that. I needed something . . sheeesh. I'm sweatin' over here dreaming of my phone and tablet.

Stately

macrumors 6502a
May 14, 2008
NYC
wwdc2008.jpg

If we stick with how we usually go by clues in Apple's posters released prior to events, I would speculate that the bridge might actually represent connection even though far away :rolleyes: ? I thought the video chat might be true and now I'm almost positive.

philgilder

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
UK
Of course I can't watch youtube at work, can you summarize that video in a sentence or two? No big deal if you don't want to.
its SJ at macworld 05 talking about apple retail
he then plays a video about apple retail stores - like a promo for (property) developers
details things such as numbers of visitors, store facilities (genius bar etc), store locations, sales figures
at the end it says 'apple retail stores, the fastest growing retail chain, and we're just getting started'

xbigman15x

macrumors member
Jan 5, 2008
Wichita, Kansas
Sorry for the grammar and spelling mistakes, I seriously wrote that post when I woke up. I sure love summer, but i guess it doesn't work out too well when writing on forums.

Here is another idea, I still want to stand by the idea that it is simply a promo video to showcase the Apple Retail Stores, but this one is kind of interesting.
What if this year at WWDC, similarly to how they did in 2001 with this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD-Fu3OdwP4, they center the keynote around the store, or at least what it offers. What i mean by that is they kind of walk around to each area of the store and then talk about the many new developments at each area. I realize this is a stretch and doesn't necessarily seem like something Apple would do; after all they have been doing fine with things like that in the past. Either way i think it would be interesting if they did it and that might be what they are doing. Even though the 5th Avenue store can be labeled one of the most beautiful Apple Retail Stores; if they were to center a video around a store i would think they would do that with there new one which is now the largest in the U.S. to showcase it.
However, like i said, i think a simple promo to highlight the Apple Retail Stores and the improvements they and Apple have made over the years. Makes sense to me.

Elsewhere

macrumors member
May 20, 2008
I just realized that Apple is telling us that the new iPhone will in fact have true GPS.

Apple has a habit of putting a little hint in the catch phrase used for different product releases. When they released the Macbook Air the slogan was "There is something in the air".

Now they are saying "A landmark event. In more ways than one". The "landmark" is referring to the true GPS in the new iPhone.

wwdc2008.jpg

hinkalink

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2008
I walked by the store after work at about 1230am last night. 5th avenue was closed from 63rd to just south of the store. Cross town traffic was severely limited. The PA's/security people gave you very funny looks if you even looked like you were going to walk towards the set. It seemed all they were doing was shooting shots off the crane at the time. It will be interesting to see where the footage actually gets used.

Baffles

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
Upstate New York
Talk about fanboys. More than 400 posts just b/c Apple shooting something (commercial, something for the keynote, who knows?). Sure, Apple products are cool and the iPhone 2 is a highly talked about product, but who cares? I'm not going to fly 1000 miles out of my way & buy a $5000 camera so I can take pictures of people making a commercial.

Who asked you to? Someone who was already there with said camera would be the one to do it.

MegaMan1311

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
USA
If its just filming the store for a WWDC video or something, then why is there so much security and why is it so secretive what is going on inside? Could they have a product in there that they don't want us to see (yet)?

Apple has confused me .... again. I don't know why I'm not used to it by now.

Also, the landmark and GPS sounds good. It is one of the better ideas so far.

iFemme

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2008
Upstate NY
I just realized that Apple is telling us that the new iPhone will in fact have true GPS.

Apple has a habit of putting a little hint in the catch phrase used for different product releases. When they released the Macbook Air the slogan was "There is something in the air".

Now they are saying "A landmark event. In more ways than one". The "landmark" is referring to the true GPS in the new iPhone.

wwdc2008.jpg

Why are there two Golden Gates Bridges in the WWDC poster? Last time I checked, there was only one. I thought it could be the SF-Oakland bridge, but there's no way since the SF-O isn't red and various other logistical problems. Has anyone brought this up?

MegaMan1311

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
USA
Why are there two Golden Gates Bridges in the WWDC poster? Last time I checked, there was only one. I thought it could be the SF-Oakland bridge, but there's no way since the SF-O isn't red and various other logistical problems. Has anyone brought this up?

Read the part under the bridge. The top line reads:

Everything Mac. Everything iPhone. San Francisco, June 9-13, 2008.

I think each bridge represents a platform. One platform is Mac (somethings coming to Mac) and the other is iPhone / iPod Touch (3G iPhone and 2.0 firmware). This also means that nothing will happen to the non-touch iPods during WWDC because iPod is another platform.

Also, landmark event is referring to one of the features in the new iPhone, GPS.

Well, that is my speculation.

EDIT: Added the part about the iPod.

Chris Bangle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2006
UK
The SDK/new softwares are still only limited to iphone/touch.. there has to be a tablet thing or something (newton?) It is potentially a massive platform

Feverish Flux

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2007
Read the part under the bridge. The top line reads:

Everything Mac. Everything iPhone. San Francisco, June 9-13, 2008.

I think each bridge represents a platform. One platform is Mac (somethings coming to Mac) and the other is iPhone / iPod Touch (3G iPhone and 2.0 firmware). This also means that nothing will happen to the non-touch iPods during WWDC because iPod is another platform.

Also, landmark event is referring to one of the features in the new iPhone, GPS.

Well, that is my speculation.

EDIT: Added the part about the iPod.

The second bridge leads toward Moscone West, where the event is held.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Who asked you to? Someone who was already there with said camera would be the one to do it.

No one directly asked me to, but look at all the posts that say "Ooh, Apple's making a commercial!" or "Someone should have a telescope lens camera & take pictures." As of this post, there are about 470 posts, pretty much all saying that. Just ridiculous IMO. This is just like Star Trek/Star Wars fans.

I think one bridge is for iPhone, the other is for Mac. If there's a reason why they have the bridges growing farther apart, I don't know it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.